Getting ready to make the move to Thailand

rsokolowski

I am 52 years old and retired from the US Navy with an adequate pension after 24 years on active duty. in the next year we will sell our house in Hawaii, pay off all bills and move to Thailand full time. My wife is Thai and we have been married for over 23 year and our son will be half way through college.

Some anticipation, but overall looking forward to begin retirement in Thailand. I am thankful for some of the posts on TV that make the transition a bit less uncertain.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check your Driver's Licence. If it is due to expire shortly after your intended departure date, you may want to delay your departure long enough to renew it before leaving. (I am presuming your DL is like mine, and can only be renewed in person.)

You post in the Isan forum, so I guess you are intending to settle somewhere here?

Have you visited your future place before and how long?

I have been there dozens of times over the years for 3-4 weeks at a time. We intend to initially settle there so my wife can spend time with her aging mother (her father passed away last January). The plan is to use Isan as a base and travel within Thailand for the first year or more. I would eventually like to spend about half the year on the Andaman coast (not Phuket).

Check your Driver's Licence. If it is due to expire shortly after your intended departure date, you may want to delay your departure long enough to renew it before leaving. (I am presuming your DL is like mine, and can only be renewed in person.)

Great, we will do that.

It is always a big step to pick up and move, it is a slightly larger step to move to a new country with an entirely different language. I adapt to other cultures pretty well. Living in Hawaii since 1983 is living in another culture even though it is still in the USA and most people speak English (sort of).

There are a few farangs in Lahansai, but there's not really much there. People tend to go to Nang Rong where there is a good market, Prakonchai or Ban Kruat. Buriram is the best place for shopping it has Makro Big C and several large hardware stores. Prackonchai has a small version of big C.

Hope that your move is a smooth one. Isaan doesn't appeal to everyone but I love it here. I first came 30 years ago. I live near Ban Kruat so it's quite possible that we will bump into each other some time in the future.

Do you have an account with USAA? I've found them great to work with while here in Thailand. Easy online money transfers to Bangkok Bank.

Setting up financial accounts is sometimes a problem if you are over here. Especially trading US based mutual funds. Get direct deposits setup before you leave. Go online with as much as you can. Makes a huge difference.

What are you going to do about your mail? Just some quick thoughts....

Drivers Licence for sure - pick up an international DL, as well...makes getting a Thai DL much easier

Whatever bank you're using, open a another account at the same back to get extra ATM cards...no fun if you lose your only card

Consider opening an account with Charles Schwab (Investor Checking w/ATM card)...all/any fees will be reimbursed at the end of every month

Good luck! Following seas!

CTI4 Mamypoko

Where will you settle? I moved here 12 years ago at the same age and have had no regrets at all. Just stay away from negative farangs and you'll be fine.

My wifes family is from Lahansai (Buriram), and we will initially settle there..

Buriram, good - good.

If you are retaining assets in USA - make sure that you know the manager at your bank and can have a relationship. Also notify your credit card company that you will be here. If you can keep a home address somewhere in USA it is helpful as mentioned above, especially for mutual fund accounts.

You have been here enough to know the basics and so I would expect smooth sailing for you…

Good luck and welcome to retirement in Thailand.

Why is that? i am hoping to move to Thailand as well but i am a novice. My girlfriend works in Bangkok and her family live in Surin. Is the DL used as ID?

Congrats, you're ready to embark on another great adventure! Others here have mentioned that it's best to organize your banking before you leave. I agree. This is of utmost importance! ACH transfers through BKK Bank in New York is a snap, but it's best to organize this before you leave home because it's easier to do so in case you need to visit your bank to set this type of internet transfer. You'll need a Bangkok Bank account set up here in Thailand beforehand in order to set up the transfer. ( Visit the BKK Bank New York website for more info on this) Your stateside bank may require you to do this in person. Check beforehand!

Also, regarding your mail. I've found that having a mailing address in the States makes everything easier. Banks and other financial institutions are most comfortable when dealing with you stateside. I use a mail forwarding service based in Seattle. I use it as a permanent stateside address and they forward my mail twice a month. This has proven to be invaluable on those occasions when for one reason or another I needed to have a credit card or debit card forwarded to me from my bank. I also keep a stateside phone number to use for banking, etc. The mail service charges me twice a year on a credit card they keep on file.

Also think about health insurance and be sure you're covered here in Thailand. Your current insurance may not cover you here if you live here full time. Although health care is cheaper here it's not free! If you have an accident you'll want to be covered. If you have any health issues, you'll want to be covered. If you have any prescriptions you need to take regularly, bring along a supply to have on hand until you get settled and find what you need in larger pharmacies, often without a prescription for non-narcotic drugs. Hospitals will usher you in to see a doctor to obtain meds if needed. Again, cheaper and faster service ( in and out in sometimes less than an hour!) than stateside, but not free! There is more info on health and hospital issues here on the forums.

You can get a Thai driver's license once you arrive here. It's a day long process so be prepared for a written test, etc. Info on this topic abounds here in the forums. I renewed and kept my stateside driver's license. It's valid here in Thailand. You can easily obtain an International Drivers Permit from AAA in Hawaii for your use in other countries that may require it when you travel outside of Thailand. I also found to that if my stateside license expires, I may have to be retested in my state to obtain a new one, IF I ever need it there. I have my Thai license now and it serves me well here for driving and also as an I.D. when needed to enter various sites charging lower admission fees to Thai nationals. It usually works to obtain the "local's price".

And don't forget to get your Visa! Do you have a new passport with lots of blank visa pages?? If not, you may want to get a new one before you leave. Effective Jan 1, 2016 you will no longer be able to add pages to your passport. You will be required to obtain a new one!

and remember to follow the rules for extensions and re-entry permits. Lot's of info on those topics here, too!

Best of luck in getting organized. Check back here with more questions if needed.

I don't know about the US education system, you say your son is half way through college....one concern would be completing his education. How old is he, does he have Thai nationality yet? Was he born here or the US, I believe if he wasn't born here you will require documentation from an embassy in the US to obtain it when he is here.???

As stated, always best to keep some banking ties to your home country, apart from that happy retirement

you have a better chance than most. you are not starting a business or getting involved with a bar girl. (I did both) I spend a bit of time in burriram and it is not so much fun up there. I plan to do one school semester for my son next year. not sure I will last the whole 6 months. my advice would be to keep mobile. don't buy in esan, not for the first year or 2.

Oh, sorry! One more thing. Don't bring all of your money with you to Thailand. You might want to stay invested in US Dollars! ...and the ACH transfers via BKK Bank in New York take only only two to three business days to clear to your account in Thailand.

Congrats, you're ready to embark on another great adventure! Others here have mentioned that it's best to organize your banking before you leave. I agree. This is of utmost importance! ACH transfers through BKK Bank in New York is a snap, but it's best to organize this before you leave home because it's easier to do so in case you need to visit your bank to set this type of internet transfer. You'll need a Bangkok Bank account set up here in Thailand beforehand in order to set up the transfer. ( Visit the BKK Bank New York website for more info on this) Your stateside bank may require you to do this in person. Check beforehand!

Also, regarding your mail. I've found that having a mailing address in the States makes everything easier. Banks and other financial institutions are most comfortable when dealing with you stateside. I use a mail forwarding service based in Seattle. I use it as a permanent stateside address and they forward my mail twice a month. This has proven to be invaluable on those occasions when for one reason or another I needed to have a credit card or debit card forwarded to me from my bank. I also keep a stateside phone number to use for banking, etc. The mail service charges me twice a year on a credit card they keep on file.

Also think about health insurance and be sure you're covered here in Thailand. Your current insurance may not cover you here if you live here full time. Although health care is cheaper here it's not free! If you have an accident you'll want to be covered. If you have any health issues, you'll want to be covered. If you have any prescriptions you need to take regularly, bring along a supply to have on hand until you get settled and find what you need in larger pharmacies, often without a prescription for non-narcotic drugs. Hospitals will usher you in to see a doctor to obtain meds if needed. Again, cheaper and faster service ( in and out in sometimes less than an hour!) than stateside, but not free! There is more info on health and hospital issues here on the forums.

You can get a Thai driver's license once you arrive here. It's a day long process so be prepared for a written test, etc. Info on this topic abounds here in the forums. I renewed and kept my stateside driver's license. It's valid here in Thailand. You can easily obtain an International Drivers Permit from AAA in Hawaii for your use in other countries that may require it when you travel outside of Thailand. I also found to that if my stateside license expires, I may have to be retested in my state to obtain a new one, IF I ever need it there. I have my Thai license now and it serves me well here for driving and also as an I.D. when needed to enter various sites charging lower admission fees to Thai nationals. It usually works to obtain the "local's price".

And don't forget to get your Visa! Do you have a new passport with lots of blank visa pages?? If not, you may want to get a new one before you leave. Effective Jan 1, 2016 you will no longer be able to add pages to your passport. You will be required to obtain a new one!

and remember to follow the rules for extensions and re-entry permits. Lot's of info on those topics here, too!

Best of luck in getting organized. Check back here with more questions if needed.

As a retired military he will use Tricare standard which works just fine in Thailand and covers 75% of his costs.

As a retired military he will use Tricare standard which works just fine in Thailand and covers 75% of his costs.

I suggest getting a Thai driver's license - with a valid international license, it is easy to accomplish. And actually the international licenses are really for people living temporarily outside their home country vs. full time residents.

I would suggest getting a non imm o-a multi entry visa before leaving the states. If used carefully you can get two years out of it before needing to deal with local immigration - except for 90 day reporting of course. It will also allow you to hold off dealing with the money requirement issues in Thailand for that period as well.

You may want to consider buying secondhand transport, reasonably low mileage, rather than new. No doubt there will be some Buriram residents who can advise you on reliable servicing.

Don't know how much Thai you've acquired from your wife; however, it is worth learning as much as possible so you can communicate effectively. Good luck.

You no doubt will be bringing a laptop or two with you, so if you are thinking of buying a new one, it might be easier in the States. (American keyboard layout). To avoid problems with customs, not that I have been stopped, you can make a brand new laptop look old quickly with a few stickers, or odd spots of paint.

Fair winds, calm seas.

I moved to Isaan (Nong Khai) 6 months ago from Scotland and have not regretted it for a second.

The only issues I have had is with documentation when dealing with Thai officialdom. Take my marriage certificate for example. Being a UK citizen I cant just go to the UK embassy and get it stamped as genuine. I have to send it to the UK to get it stamped then send it to the Thai embassy in London to get it stamped. Then get it translated and take it to immigration in Bangkok to get it stamped.

Only then will Thai officials recognize it as genuine.

So it may be worth seeing what documents you will need and how to get them "certified" as genuine. Please note things will be different for citizens of the United States. Your embassy may be able to do all this stuff.

As for bank accounts.

I am in the lucky position in that I added my sister in law to my UK bank accounts. Also let the bank know that you intend to move here and that you may use your US ATM card in Thailand. She is able to deal with anything which arises and transfer money to my Thai account when needed. If there is someone you can trust to the same level it may be worth doing so yourself. Not my sister in law though because she does not know you :)

Opening a Thai bank account can be difficult. In Bangkok I was unable to open one because I did not meet their criteria. I forget what the issue was but it was something trivial. However I walked into a bank here in Nong Khai and had 2 accounts open in less than an hour. One is a high interest but limited access account for my Farrang visa deposit. The other is a normal account with an ATM card which I use on a daily basis.

When dealing with Thai officialdom be courteous and polite. Wear trousers not shorts and a long sleeved top. Give them the "sawadee krap" greeting when you meet them and you will find almost all will be prepared to help you. That has been my experience anyway.

Thai driving license was no problem for me. I simply filled out the forms, showed them my UK license, got some forms stamped by Thai immigration here in Nong Khai, paid the money and off I went.

Buying a house is tricky and somewhat risky. There is a very good guide here on Thai visa outlining what to do and what to look out for.

As for anything else. Just ask on here. People will help.

Aloha - Sawasdee Khrap

What island?

I live on Maui with my Thai wife and we split time between here and Thailand.

Have condo in BKK but stay at her "Homeland" (Tha Bo - 35km west of Nong Khai) about half the time.

If you live on Maui let's get together and talk !!

Best wishes to you.

P.S. I used an Immigration Attorney (extremely experienced) on Maui to help me with

wills, bank accounts, etc. Maybe consider.

you have a better chance than most. you are not starting a business or getting involved with a bar girl. (I did both) I spend a bit of time in burriram and it is not so much fun up there. I plan to do one school semester for my son next year. not sure I will last the whole 6 months. my advice would be to keep mobile. don't buy in esan, not for the first year or 2.

Yes you do have a better chance than most. I paid for my education when I first arrived. Renting is the way to go stay away from real estate or building. You can access some of the building horrors here on TV and I have witnessed them first hand. Medical coverage is important more so as we age. Your wife will more than likely qualify for the 30 baht card. Stay up to date on immigration rules as they seem to be in flux. Ubon Joe is a real gold mine in this department. We each live on our own level and mine is the KISS level. No real estate no motor vehicle eyes wide open. Living in the hinterland can be well challenging at times it was for me I spent a year there. Could not get out fast enough. Check the expiry dates on all your bank cards and if they are due to expire renew them before leaving. Get used to getting the run around here passed off from one person to another problem solving is not a strong suit here. Well better quit do not want to put you into overload. One last comment get yourself a hobby woodworking or something get involved in local culture learn the language (sadly I did not) Develop a thick skin you will need it posting on this site. You could be poster of the year by 2020

Archived