Getting ready to make the move to Thailand

rsokolowski

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize that people who spend 6 months here and 6 months there like to say that they "Have the best of both worlds" but, to me, it means that they don't don't have enough going on to fill up the entire year in either.

We are on our fourth year of splitting our time between two homes and it has worked fine for us. Everyone is different and I would not attempt to convince others that our life is the solution for them.

I realize that people who spend 6 months here and 6 months there like to say that they "Have the best of both worlds" but, to me, it means that they don't don't have enough going on to fill up the entire year in either.

We are on our fourth year of splitting our time between two homes and it has worked fine for us. Everyone is different and I would not attempt to convince others that our life is the solution for them.

... and as you say 'our', 'our,' 'us', I guess we certainly are different.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

I haven't tried it because there's too much to do here -- 3 weeks in the USA and I'm chomping at the bit to get back and not just for 'companionship'.

I haven't tried it because there's too much to do here -- 3 weeks in the USA and I'm chomping at the bit to get back and not just for 'companionship'.

Perhaps one difference is that I am splitting my time between the two countries along side my wife of 40 years.

Maybe so -- but hearing that 'best of both worlds' doesn't sound to me like someone saying such is not preferable not that I'm saying that you said it.

And the Olympic gold medal for cryptic and convoluted sentences goes to.... Struth, have a headache just reading it.coffee1.gif

Maybe so -- but hearing that 'best of both worlds' doesn't sound to me like someone saying such is not preferable not that I'm saying that you said it.

And the Olympic gold medal for cryptic and convoluted sentences goes to.... Struth, have a headache just reading it.coffee1.gif

Both world's suck -- how's that?

My wife and I just retired here two months ago and getting the drivers license for her has been a pain. These new rules are tougher than before and next year the questions go from 50 to 100. I used Paypal to transfer $ on multiple occasions to Bangkok Bank. Just let the manager know you will be using this service. The fees are very reasonable and it only takes a couple days.

Having health insurance is a must as there are no social services like we have back home. If you trip on the sidewalk or ? you will need to pay your way or get no medical service. Even though medical is cheaper, it can still get expensive depending upon what you need.

I am on Veterans medical stateside, but over here I don't really know how I will deal yet. Still thinking on this.

I've found dental care is exceptional over here and have been using a dentist both states sided and over here for years now. It's actually cheaper than my out of pocket for dental from insurance in the states. Ditto for eyeglasses. Just watch the frames, they can get expensive.

We've got ourselves a larger used Isuzu MU-7 that gives us the room we are used to stateside and I am looking for a auto scooter so the misses can also use that.

Found BKK to be way too busy for my way of life these days so we are considering Chiang Rai and will be going up there next week to snoop around.

So far it seems that buying property here is risky for a number of reasons, not the least of which is making sure whatever you buy is done the legal way with all papers triple checked by attorney to make sure you don't end up on the short end. We originally planned on buying about a Rai up in Chiang Mai and then building on that, but that plan has changed to now we will most likely either rent or lease and save our $$ for now.

Immigration can be a real hassle depending upon how you approach it. I was lucky to have been directed to a visa service in Chiang Mai which handled everything for me on a retirement visa. I had to pay for this service, but in my mind it was well worth it, especially when I was shuttled into Promanada and out in 7 minutes, then shuttled over to Airport and out of there in under 40 minutes while others hung around for hours and sometimes days as I remember speaking to one person who didn't get his paperwork done the right way the first time. Of course this means I will need to report (my passport at least) to Chiang Mai Immigration every three months, but that's fairly painless using express mail from wherever. The only pain will come if the mail gets lost but I have to say I'm impressed so far with the Thai mail system.

Speaking of mail, I actually filled out a change of address (written form - not online) back in Bellevue, not thinking it would actually work, but surprise surprise - I've been getting may first class mail forwarded over here. The amazing thing is I forgot to add a /30 to my address and the Thai postal still figures this out and delivers my mail. Very impressed indeed. Course this is only good for 1 year then you are on your own. I figure by that time I will have an actual address and can contact all my necessary connections back home so they can mail direct to me if needed. So far e-mail works pretty good.

Brought over my VoIP phone system and have yet to hook that up, but understand that it should work from here. I used Phone Power back home and the charges for calling Thailand were 1c per minute with 60 minutes free every month. This means I should be able to call through-out the US and Canada for free and any Thailand calls I will be billed 1c per minute. Still a lot cheaper than my cell plan.

Did buy a VPN service for one year and have to use that to watch my Netflix or Amazon videos. So far I have had spotty internet service, not what I'm used to and that bothers me a bit. Some days are definitely better than others.

Both my wife who is Thai and I find the heat almost unbearable in BKK. Mostly stay in A/C and rarely venture out into the sun for long. When I first got here in 79, I used to walk all over the place - miles and miles and miles. Great weight loss system - walking and sweating. Now, I'm older and even though I was walking every day back in the states, I just don't do that here. Where ever we end up a good club will be essential to keeping in shape.

I wish you well on your venture. I know we can afford to live here, whereas back stateside the costs has gotten out of hand for the average retirement.

I love the states and miss a lot of things, but we are here and so far it is working out. Abet taking longer than I would have figured.

Where will you settle? I moved here 12 years ago at the same age and have had no regrets at all. Just stay away from negative farangs and you'll be fine.

Sometimes negative Farang have reason to be negative and you can learn from them. Thailand is not all some of you optimistic folk like to claim it is. Right now is a particularly bad time to be here. Human rights are at an all time low... But what do I know? I've only lived here for 10 years. [emoji17] oh... And stay away from negative Thai people too. Easier said than done.

You follow the sun and the good weather..

You follow the sun and the good weather..

Well if you think in Thailand there is bad weather for 6 months, that's up to you.

There are a few farangs in Lahansai, but there's not really much there. People tend to go to Nang Rong where there is a good market, Prakonchai or Ban Kruat. Buriram is the best place for shopping it has Makro Big C and several large hardware stores. Prackonchai has a small version of big C.

Hope that your move is a smooth one. Isaan doesn't appeal to everyone but I love it here. I first came 30 years ago. I live near Ban Kruat so it's quite possible that we will bump into each other some time in the future.

Thanks for the post. I have been to all of those places. I don't know if Lahansai is where we we will settle for good, but it is where we aill start. I prefer Isaan to most of the other places in Thailand I have been (Bangkok, Chang Mai area, and southern Thailand).

My wife and I just retired here two months ago and getting the drivers license for her has been a pain. These new rules are tougher than before and next year the questions go from 50 to 100. I used Paypal to transfer $ on multiple occasions to Bangkok Bank. Just let the manager know you will be using this service. The fees are very reasonable and it only takes a couple days.

Having health insurance is a must as there are no social services like we have back home. If you trip on the sidewalk or ? you will need to pay your way or get no medical service. Even though medical is cheaper, it can still get expensive depending upon what you need.

I am on Veterans medical stateside, but over here I don't really know how I will deal yet. Still thinking on this.

I've found dental care is exceptional over here and have been using a dentist both states sided and over here for years now. It's actually cheaper than my out of pocket for dental from insurance in the states. Ditto for eyeglasses. Just watch the frames, they can get expensive.

We've got ourselves a larger used Isuzu MU-7 that gives us the room we are used to stateside and I am looking for a auto scooter so the misses can also use that.

Found BKK to be way too busy for my way of life these days so we are considering Chiang Rai and will be going up there next week to snoop around.

So far it seems that buying property here is risky for a number of reasons, not the least of which is making sure whatever you buy is done the legal way with all papers triple checked by attorney to make sure you don't end up on the short end. We originally planned on buying about a Rai up in Chiang Mai and then building on that, but that plan has changed to now we will most likely either rent or lease and save our $$ for now.

Immigration can be a real hassle depending upon how you approach it. I was lucky to have been directed to a visa service in Chiang Mai which handled everything for me on a retirement visa. I had to pay for this service, but in my mind it was well worth it, especially when I was shuttled into Promanada and out in 7 minutes, then shuttled over to Airport and out of there in under 40 minutes while others hung around for hours and sometimes days as I remember speaking to one person who didn't get his paperwork done the right way the first time. Of course this means I will need to report (my passport at least) to Chiang Mai Immigration every three months, but that's fairly painless using express mail from wherever. The only pain will come if the mail gets lost but I have to say I'm impressed so far with the Thai mail system.

Speaking of mail, I actually filled out a change of address (written form - not online) back in Bellevue, not thinking it would actually work, but surprise surprise - I've been getting may first class mail forwarded over here. The amazing thing is I forgot to add a /30 to my address and the Thai postal still figures this out and delivers my mail. Very impressed indeed. Course this is only good for 1 year then you are on your own. I figure by that time I will have an actual address and can contact all my necessary connections back home so they can mail direct to me if needed. So far e-mail works pretty good.

Brought over my VoIP phone system and have yet to hook that up, but understand that it should work from here. I used Phone Power back home and the charges for calling Thailand were 1c per minute with 60 minutes free every month. This means I should be able to call through-out the US and Canada for free and any Thailand calls I will be billed 1c per minute. Still a lot cheaper than my cell plan.

Did buy a VPN service for one year and have to use that to watch my Netflix or Amazon videos. So far I have had spotty internet service, not what I'm used to and that bothers me a bit. Some days are definitely better than others.

Both my wife who is Thai and I find the heat almost unbearable in BKK. Mostly stay in A/C and rarely venture out into the sun for long. When I first got here in 79, I used to walk all over the place - miles and miles and miles. Great weight loss system - walking and sweating. Now, I'm older and even though I was walking every day back in the states, I just don't do that here. Where ever we end up a good club will be essential to keeping in shape.

I wish you well on your venture. I know we can afford to live here, whereas back stateside the costs has gotten out of hand for the average retirement.

I love the states and miss a lot of things, but we are here and so far it is working out. Abet taking longer than I would have figured.

There is a way to get Tricare to work in Thailand. You still have to pay as you go, but you can be reimbursed for charges after the fact. You will need to register and I think it is only valid a certain locations.

I moved to Isaan (Nong Khai) 6 months ago from Scotland and have not regretted it for a second.

The only issues I have had is with documentation when dealing with Thai officialdom. Take my marriage certificate for example. Being a UK citizen I cant just go to the UK embassy and get it stamped as genuine. I have to send it to the UK to get it stamped then send it to the Thai embassy in London to get it stamped. Then get it translated and take it to immigration in Bangkok to get it stamped.

Only then will Thai officials recognize it as genuine.

So it may be worth seeing what documents you will need and how to get them "certified" as genuine. Please note things will be different for citizens of the United States. Your embassy may be able to do all this stuff.

As for bank accounts.

I am in the lucky position in that I added my sister in law to my UK bank accounts. Also let the bank know that you intend to move here and that you may use your US ATM card in Thailand. She is able to deal with anything which arises and transfer money to my Thai account when needed. If there is someone you can trust to the same level it may be worth doing so yourself. Not my sister in law though because she does not know you smile.png

Opening a Thai bank account can be difficult. In Bangkok I was unable to open one because I did not meet their criteria. I forget what the issue was but it was something trivial. However I walked into a bank here in Nong Khai and had 2 accounts open in less than an hour. One is a high interest but limited access account for my Farrang visa deposit. The other is a normal account with an ATM card which I use on a daily basis.

When dealing with Thai officialdom be courteous and polite. Wear trousers not shorts and a long sleeved top. Give them the "sawadee krap" greeting when you meet them and you will find almost all will be prepared to help you. That has been my experience anyway.

Thai driving license was no problem for me. I simply filled out the forms, showed them my UK license, got some forms stamped by Thai immigration here in Nong Khai, paid the money and off I went.

Buying a house is tricky and somewhat risky. There is a very good guide here on Thai visa outlining what to do and what to look out for.

As for anything else. Just ask on here. People will help.

Can you share the details on the high interest but limited access account for my Farrang visa deposit ?

Tricare Overseas is the group you'll be working with:

http://www.tricare-overseas.com/

Make sure you've updated Deers also. Tricare will reimburse you for expenses after you've paid. If over a certain dollar amount, make sure you use a credit card and/or get prior authorization. Took me over 6 months to get reimbursed!

It is always a big step to pick up and move, it is a slightly larger step to move to a new country with an entirely different language. I adapt to other cultures pretty well. Living in Hawaii since 1983 is living in another culture even though it is still in the USA and most people speak English (sort of).

Aloha and Mele Kaleke Maka - obviously you have been to Thailand many times and know 'Muang Thai' - I am just the apposit of you - I have spent many months/years in Thailand (20+) and a relatively short time in Hawaii (where I have house and call home, eight years now ) Since I detect from your avatar, you are a blue water fisherman, let's face it, you won't be happy 100% in the Isaan, I tried that (Nong Kong Phanom) and always migrated to the South, Chon Buri, Bang Saan, Sattahip, Pattaya, Rayong, Bang Chaang, Hua hin , etc etc etc you get my drift........needed the salt water - Rent in Isaan for a year, build your own place in Isaan for the Misses & family, but, for shit & giggles, Rent a nice getaway in the South as well - Don't Buy, no matter how good of a deal it seems - Rent, the rental prices are crazy cheap now.

Mahalo and Shaka Bra Tim

We use Bangkok Bank for money transfers and it has worked well (my wife has a bank account that we transfer money to every once i a while to show activity). I will probably use my sister's address to collect my mail, but I need to think on this a bit more.

I don't know about the US education system, you say your son is half way through college....one concern would be completing his education. How old is he, does he have Thai nationality yet? Was he born here or the US, I believe if he wasn't born here you will require documentation from an embassy in the US to obtain it when he is here.???

As stated, always best to keep some banking ties to your home country, apart from that happy retirement

He was born in the USA in Hawaii and is 19 years old. He is living in the dorm and we have the funds set aside so that he can finish. He may come to visit, but I don't think he will want to live there. At any rate I am not planning on supporting him after college (he will have to make his own way).

Oh, sorry! One more thing. Don't bring all of your money with you to Thailand. You might want to stay invested in US Dollars! ...and the ACH transfers via BKK Bank in New York take only only two to three business days to clear to your account in Thailand

We plan on leaving the bulk in our US bank account, and transferring as needed.

Aloha - Sawasdee Khrap

What island?

I live on Maui with my Thai wife and we split time between here and Thailand.

Have condo in BKK but stay at her "Homeland" (Tha Bo - 35km west of Nong Khai) about half the time.

If you live on Maui let's get together and talk !!

Best wishes to you.

P.S. I used an Immigration Attorney (extremely experienced) on Maui to help me with

wills, bank accounts, etc. Maybe consider.

I live and work on Oahu (North Shore Waialua). I don't get over to Maui very often, but I do get over to Kona 3-4 times a year to fish on a friends boat.

It is always a big step to pick up and move, it is a slightly larger step to move to a new country with an entirely different language. I adapt to other cultures pretty well. Living in Hawaii since 1983 is living in another culture even though it is still in the USA and most people speak English (sort of).

Aloha and Mele Kaleke Maka - obviously you have been to Thailand many times and know 'Muang Thai' - I am just the apposit of you - I have spent many months/years in Thailand (20+) and a relatively short time in Hawaii (where I have house and call home, eight years now ) Since I detect from your avatar, you are a blue water fisherman, let's face it, you won't be happy 100% in the Isaan, I tried that (Nong Kong Phanom) and always migrated to the South, Chon Buri, Bang Saan, Sattahip, Pattaya, Rayong, Bang Chaang, Hua hin , etc etc etc you get my drift........needed the salt water - Rent in Isaan for a year, build your own place in Isaan for the Misses & family, but, for shit & giggles, Rent a nice getaway in the South as well - Don't Buy, no matter how good of a deal it seems - Rent, the rental prices are crazy cheap now.

Mahalo and Shaka Bra Tim

You are correct regarding the fishing. I need to figure out how to catch the giant snakeheads in the freshwater, but I will eventually need to go south (Ko Lanta, and the Similan Islands). I was thinking about splitting the time between the two places. Also the first year or so we plan on traveling around inside Thailand ad checking out different areas. My wife left Thailand 23 years ago and her current level of knowledge about everything is slightly out of date.

Do you have an account with USAA? I've found them great to work with while here in Thailand. Easy online money transfers to Bangkok Bank.

Setting up financial accounts is sometimes a problem if you are over here. Especially trading US based mutual funds. Get direct deposits setup before you leave. Go online with as much as you can. Makes a huge difference.

What are you going to do about your mail? Just some quick thoughts....

We use Navy Federal Credit Union and already have direst deposit. Online money transfers via Bangkok Bank (New York office) are fast and easy. I have received some excellent information about a mail forwarding company in the Seattle area (forwards the mail for $3.95 plus tax and actual postage cost) that will solve this issue nicely. We use USAA for insurance and a couple of car loans, but not banking.

Op wish you all the best!

I moved to Thailand in mid 90's and enjoyed ever minute of it. So much to see and do in Thailand and then Thailand is a good point to travel around

Southeast Asia. Thailand has changed allot in the past 20 years, it can be as advanced as any western country but then turn around and still be a third world country.

Just to give you a heads up on somethings. Thailand still has allot of corruption. Police can and will stop you for no reason and make up excuses to extort money out of you.

Unlike the USA the police in Thailand setup check points, most of time I'm waved through. Sometimes they are looking for "tea money" so when I travel by car I only

keep 100 Baht cash in my wallet the rest of my cash is in my pocket or luggage. When stopped by the police and they are asking for a donation the only money I has in

my wallet is the 100B unless they want to go to an ATM, which then never do.

If you end up having to do any boarder runs the guys in Cambodia always want a fee. Just tell them no, that you never pay. They will wait you out a few minutes

and then give in and stamp your passport. Never accept the first price with a street vendor for items other than food, always negotiate it's expected.

I'm sure your wife is up on all of these things. Welcome to Thailand!!

Do you have an account with USAA? I've found them great to work with while here in Thailand. Easy online money transfers to Bangkok Bank.

Setting up financial accounts is sometimes a problem if you are over here. Especially trading US based mutual funds. Get direct deposits setup before you leave. Go online with as much as you can. Makes a huge difference.

What are you going to do about your mail? Just some quick thoughts....

We use Navy Federal Credit Union and already have direst deposit. Online money transfers via Bangkok Bank (New York office) are fast and easy. I have received some excellent information about a mail forwarding company in the Seattle area (forwards the mail for $3.95 plus tax and actual postage cost) that will solve this issue nicely. We use USAA for insurance and a couple of car loans, but not banking.

I use this for our mail. It allows me to see the mail and decide if I want it forwarded to just save it as a PDF. I have been happy with it.

http://www.virtualpostmail.com

Archived