Overstay blacklisting starts in March

So if they stop you returning for a certain period will it be based on your current passport details ? Just renew your passport maybe

Do you not think that your name and other details about you are not on record in the immigration data banks? Just changing your passport isn't enough nowadays.

Overstay more than 90 days forbidden 1 year

Where did you take that from ?

Yesterday newspaper articles say:

"those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban"

I saw nowhere a 90 days period ?

Just returned from Pattaya immigration and a moving banner on the TV said for overstay of 90 days 1 year ban, For 1 year over, a 3 year ban. Your mileage may vary.

i

Where do you get this from? There are people who have been locked up for up to 15 years at IDC. I know, because I have been there.

No limit of years there, but that only strengtens your point smile.png

I'm not referring to the people held at the IDC pending deportation. The penalty for anyone overstaying is up to two years in prison and a maximum of 20k fine or both.

Persons who get deported from Thailand need to buy their own ticket home, if you cannot buy a ticket home, they keep you in IDC untill you do, how ever long it takes .

People who cannot get a ticket home, stay in IDC permanently, forever

I'm not referring to the people held at the IDC pending deportation. The penalty for anyone overstaying is up to two years in prison and a maximum of 20k fine or both.

i

Where do you get this from? There are people who have been locked up for up to 15 years at IDC. I know, because I have been there.

No limit of years there, but that only strengtens your point smile.png

Persons who get deported from Thailand need to buy their own ticket home, if you cannot buy a ticket home, they keep you in IDC untill you do, how ever long it takes .

People who cannot get a ticket home, stay in IDC permanently, forever

I was just explaining why some people may have been in IDC for longer than the maximum two year sentence

If someone WHO has actualy been a victim or has directly been affected by an over stayers ie direct action of some sort by someone in authority (not the old we are all affected, cos I ain't for one, not the they bring trouble down on everyone, cos I ain't had no trouble. Direct action against you by the authorities only please. Can you post your story please. As I fail to see what the hell anyone over staying has to do with anyone else on here at all. I fail to see why the self serving attitude of some on here with comments like good, about time, they deserve it, and lock them up, being of any fact based intrests what so ever.

Edited by Sutty
  • Like 2

If someone WHO has actualy been a victim or has directly been affected by an over stayers ie direct action of some sort by someone in authority (not the old we are all affected, cos I ain't for one, not the they bring trouble down on everyone, cos I ain't had no trouble. Direct action against you by the authorities only please. Can you post your story please. As I fail to see what the hell anyone over staying has to do with anyone else on here at all. I fail to see why the self serving attitude of some on here with comments like good, about time, they deserve it, and lock them up, being of any fact based intrests what so ever.

You seem to have missed the point that the Immigration office has decided to clamp down on overstayers, and have been talking about it for a long time, purely because there are so many people doing it.

You seem to have missed the point that the Immigration office has decided to clamp down on overstayers, and have been talking about it for a long time, purely because there are so many people doing it.

No not missed the point at all the Thai goverment is directly affected by over stayers. People on here who moan and curse over stayers are not

No not missed the point at all the Thai goverment is directly affected by over stayers. People on here who moan and curse over stayers are not

Actually everyone is affected by the increase in overstayers -- because they have forced the Immigration office to come up with more checks, which everyone is subject to, including yourself, even though you and others might be totally innocent.

It's a bit like checking for drunk drivers. Do the police watch for odd driving behaviour, or do they just haul everyone out of their cars for breath-tests. Do you think the sober driver is going to be happy?

• Like 1

Total assumption that it's only being done because of the number of overstayers. If it was the previous government making these changes, i.e. everything else had remained constant, I'd support that.

But if you hadn't noticed there's new guys in charge who don't like foreign influences. Recently they even said they 'might have to close the country'.

• Like 2

Actually everyone is affected by the increase in overstayers -- because they have forced the Immigration office to come up with more checks, which everyone is subject to, including yourself, even though you and others might be totally innocent.

It's a bit like checking for drunk drivers. Do the police watch for odd driving behaviour, or do they just haul everyone out of their cars for breath-tests. Do you think the sober driver is going to be happy?

Immigration has not I'm sure increased checks due to overstayers they have increased checks because of bombings and terror threats but it's easier to say overstayers are to blame still no actual first hand experience just the same old "they have forced immigration to check everyone"

• Like 2

so my question is. if they are so broke what are thry doing here?

I would imagine there are many 1,000s of overstayers who pay into the economy which will have an adverse effect on the Thai economy if it is put into force it seems one step forward and ten steps backwards

I would imagine most long term overstayers do so because they have no money and can't afford to pay the 20k overstay fine, and get another visa. If they all left tomorrow I doubt it would make a jot of difference to the economy. Anyone overstaying through choice deserves to get thrown out and banned.

I would imagine there are many 1,000s of overstayers who pay into the economy which will have an adverse effect on the Thai economy if it is put into force it seems one step forward and ten steps backwards

I would imagine most long term overstayers do so because they have no money and can't afford to pay the 20k overstay fine, and get another visa. If they all left tomorrow I doubt it would make a jot of difference to the economy. Anyone overstaying through choice deserves to get thrown out and banned.

I know quite a few overstayers, they're not broke. They're just under 50, not married, don't work for a Thai employer, and don't want to deal with employing four Thais to start a business. So they don't qualify for extensions based on retirement, marriage, or a work permit. Tourist visas are a depressing time consuming experience of jumping through hoops, and at any point you can be rejected by a given consulate.

The ethical quandary of whether they're actually 'wanted' or not by the country isn't that compelling, and they feel welcomed by the locals even if not the 'system'. Their existence is exactly the same as it would be if they happened to have a visa - it feels more of a misdemeanour akin to a parking ticket and they engage in no other criminal activity (it suits serious criminals better to hold legitimate visa status).

Also often they have a Thai girlfriend who doesn't want them to leave, and the immediacy of that takes priority.

The typical western long term overstayer does it for 1-3 years from my experience (knowing a lot of online workers). They aren't that invested in the country long term that they want to commit to the Thai Elite program, or invest a million Baht for the investment visa. However they spend large sums of money in the country, as do all of the friends and family they by extension encourage to visit, and can almost never be a burden on the system.

Usually in time they move onto a legitimate visa status, e.g. turning 50 or marrying the girlfriend, reinvesting all monies saved while on overstay.

don't want to pay for a visa, don't want to pay tax, don't wan't a work permit.

kick them all out.

• Like 2

don't want to pay for a visa, don't want to pay tax, don't wan't a work permit.

kick them all out.

They often end up doing those things later, thanks to the lenience of the system. Blacklisting prevents that.

don't want to pay for a visa, don't want to pay tax, don't wan't a work permit.kick them all out.

They often end up doing those things later, thanks to the lenience of the system. Blacklisting prevents that.

so Thailand has to wait for their money until you and your mates feel up to it.

selfish bunch of moaners

• Like 1

Yep back to the hang high mode so I must be right no one has been directly affected by an over stayers just sour grapes

didn't read the 'pay no tax, don't pay for visa' part?

others have to pay more then.

I'm not an over stayers I pay no tax and don't pay for a visa so how do I pay more!!!!

• Like 1

I know quite a few overstayers, they're not broke. They're just under 50, not married, don't work for a Thai employer, and don't want to deal with employing four Thais to start a business. So they don't qualify for extensions based on retirement, marriage, or a work permit. Tourist visas are a depressing time consuming experience of jumping through hoops, and at any point you can be rejected by a given consulate.

The ethical quandary of whether they're actually 'wanted' or not by the country isn't that compelling, and they feel welcomed by the locals even if not the 'system'. Their existence is exactly the same as it would be if they happened to have a visa - it feels more of a misdemeanour akin to a parking ticket and they engage in no other criminal activity (it suits serious criminals better to hold legitimate visa status).

Also often they have a Thai girlfriend who doesn't want them to leave, and the immediacy of that takes priority.

The typical western long term overstayer does it for 1-3 years from my experience (knowing a lot of online workers). They aren't that invested in the country long term that they want to commit to the Thai Elite program, or invest a million Baht for the investment visa. However they spend large sums of money in the country, as do all of the friends and family they by extension encourage to visit, and can almost never be a burden on the system.

Usually in time they move onto a legitimate visa status, e.g. turning 50 or marrying the girlfriend, reinvesting all monies saved while on overstay.

If under 50's were wanted as long term stayers Thailand would produce a visa/extension of stay for them. Hang on, they have!, It's called the Thailand Elite visa. So no "ethical quandary" exists. If you're under 50 and can pay 500k you're welcome (wanted) to stay.

Your acquaintances that can afford to stay legal, but choose not to because they can't spare the time to do a visa run every few months because it makes them sad, need to grow up and learn some respect. Or better still they should fly off home because their actions affect immigration policy and mindset that will, over time, have an effect on all of us.

Edited by elviajero

Mate for me anyway its not that i dont respect the law...i am a child at heart so will never grow up.I just was on the job to much lost track of myself but it wont happen again.Thai immugration themselves told me overstaying was "little only little problem" peiples mindsets wont change until the laws are.Lets see in March

• Like 1

Mate for me anyway its not that i dont respect the law...i am a child at heart so will never grow up.I just was on the job to much lost track of myself but it wont happen again.Thai immugration themselves told me overstaying was "little only little problem" peiples mindsets wont change until the laws are.Lets see in March

I think it's not just about the law but us respecting Thailand as guests. You are right that the overstayers mindset won't change without rule changes or they start locking people up. But the mindset issue I'm concerned about is the immigration bosses. The more foreigners step out of line the more rules/regulations will be introduced effecting all areas of immigration policy.

My feeling is that the bans will have little impact on overall numbers as (probably) the majority overstay less than 90 days. No doubt many will just leave before the 90 days, return and repeat.

Edited by elviajero

There are so many laws both foreigners and Thais alike ignore..overstay is just another..in a country where the mindset is just that to ignore laws. however I think that foreigners should be a little more respectful of where they are, because at the end of the day it reflects on us as a group.

• Like 1

There are so many laws both foreigners and Thais alike ignore..overstay is just another..in a country where the mindset is just that to ignore laws. however I think that foreigners should be a little more respectful of where they are, because at the end of the day it reflects on us as a group.

Disagree totally illegals are all over the world most impact on everyday life as they want na expect money from governments not just asylum seekers but that's the easy option. Here there is no welfare state so impact is negative in fact more post I've as most over stayers have money. We need to stop bleating on and on for goodness sake there's more important things to argue about in this shagged up world. If your here with a visa or extension of stay and do everything that is asked of you great (hang on how many threads on here about oh I'm sick of jumping through hoops as immigration change the rules) overstayers never bleat on about you so live and let live they take the risk if caught they take the punishment.Ps any overstayers in need my door is always open

Actually I am in agreement with you for the most part.

But this has been my home for almost all my adult life (30+years) and the volumes of foreigners that are now here and the way some behaviour has changed the attitude of the Thais towards us.

Having said that respect is a 2 way game..

Ain't asking for much..

• Like 1