Overstay blacklisting starts in March

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Immigration Bureau could start blacklisting foreigners who stay beyond their visa period with effect from March 2016.

The royal decree on the blacklisting is expected to be promulgated in late March, said bureau chief Pol Maj Gen Natthorn Prosunthorn.

He said that the foreigners would be divided into two groups: those on overstay who turn themselves to the authorities and those who are arrested for overstaying.

In the first group, those with one year of overstay will be subject to a 3-year entry ban; those with more than 3 years of overstay will be banned for 5 years; and those with over 5 years of overstay will be banned for 10 years.

Those falling into the second group will be banned for 5-10 years depending on the overstay length.

He added that he believed that a large number of foreigners would contact the authorities before the law takes effect. This will facilitate the authorities’ monitoring of foreigners and screen quality visitors, he said.

"The existing law is weak, with fines of only Bt20,000," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Overstay-blacklisting-starts-in-March-30274578.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-09

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be interesting. Will they actually use their computer system to check arrival cards against visa issues against departure cards?

IMO, they check the combination of name and DOB, but I'm not 100% sure if that is the only thing they check.

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Immigration Bureau could start blacklisting foreigners who stay beyond their visa period with effect from March 2016.

COULD??? So this proposed law is not yet confirmed to be enacted fully? But somehow i still see 20+ pages of TVF speculation coming.

The Nation

COULD??? So this is not yet confirmed? But somehow i still see 20+ pages of TVF speculation coming.

The royal decree on the blacklisting is expected to be promulgated in late March

I'd wait until it the royal decree is actually published.

I wonder about people who started their overstay before March 2016.

Same here, but this is TV, and honestly it gives the guys on overstay already a head start to get their affairs in order whistling.gif

Same here, but this is TV, and honestly it gives the guys on overstay already a head start to get their affairs in order whistling.gif

It's actually a favour by the Immigration folks -- giving anyone who wants to sort out their paperwork a good chance to get it done in time.

You expect an endless amnesty for people who became overstayers before March 2016?

Higly illogical.

Archived