Overstay blacklisting starts in March

Personally, I haven't ever overstayed since I first set foot in Thailand in the early '80s. It just how I live my life.

But I find all the self-righteous gloating over this disgusting. It certainly seems like it's confined mainly to relative newcomers, who bring their obnoxious attitudes from whatever strict law-and-order Western country they left, apparently hoping to re-create its comfortable authoritarianism in Thailand.

I'd much rather have a beer with ANY overstayer than one of these pernicious creatures.

If anything is going to spoil Thailand, it's the presense, legal, of course, of these boring scum...

Pretty much too late now, I guess.

so you support the cheats, pissheads and criminal fraternity? Enjoy your beer with an overstayer, soon there wont be so many

It should be clear that I'm merely expressing my contempt for people like you, not any affection for overstayers. Of course the inherently dishonest reader, again, like you, would attempt to spin what I said.

Ah, internet warriors, so transparently insipid...

• Like 2

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

Yeah, little things like that do happen. It happened to me and I had a 1 day overstay. In addition, their are many ways where visas, and extensions of stays don't get processed in time. Sure this is a warning to get things done in advance, but if it becomes Draconian, that would be a shame. There should just maybe be stiffer fines for initial overstays.

So overstayers, Now is really the time to start to get your affairs in order else it will be too late.

Not by a long shot. If you study the difference between turning yourself in or risking arrest, there's not much difference in the blacklist period. This new "promulgation" is lame. People on one year of overstay or over will probably stay on overstay.smile.png

'"The existing law is weak, with fines of only Bt20,000," he said.' Name a Thai legal penalty - which is what he's referring to - that isn't weak/weakly enforced ... especially when it involves Thais.

No doubt this five minute wonder - which has, technically, long been in force - will outlive others, such as that aimed at keeping m/cs of the pavements ... but not by long.

What's a "quality visitor" and how will they be screened?

This is a good step though, and should be followed up with a total ban on visa runners who are abusing the regulations.

So tell me.............what regulations are visa runners not obeying for them to deserve a ban ?? Immigration can easy stop them from re-entering,but in very few cases do so.Once they stamp them in,then they stay in Thailand legaly.

• Like 1

two edged sword. They could just raise the fines for overstays, both daily and maximum. that would on the surface make Thailand more money. But counter to that, if the fines get too high, people will be more diligent and do less overstays, thereby offsetting any gains Thailand might make. Of course there are all sorts of other combinations: Very steep fines and penalties and they will probably lose tourists or long stay people that just don't want to deal with the risks. Sad if this whole thing is really just to try and catch people that are working illegally in the country and that are taking jobs away from Thais. So many expats or long long long stay tourists are here spending money and not doing any harm.

two edged sword. They could just raise the fines for overstays, both daily and maximum. that would on the surface make Thailand more money. But counter to that, if the fines get too high, people will be more diligent and do less overstays, thereby offsetting any gains Thailand might make. Of course there are all sorts of other combinations: Very steep fines and penalties and they will probably lose tourists or long stay people that just don't want to deal with the risks. Sad if this whole thing is really just to try and catch people that are working illegally in the country and that are taking jobs away from Thais. So many expats or long long long stay tourists are here spending money and not doing any harm.

Most tourists do not overstay !

The vast majority of "long stay people" have appropriate visas or extensions of stay.

Which leaves the over-stayers who cannot afford to pay the fine, buy a ticket home or obtain a visa ! These overstay people are no asset to Thailand.

• Like 2

Foreigners Overstaying their Visa’s to Be Blacklisted from Thailand

BANGKOK – Immigration Bureau chief Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn Prausoontorn said on Wednesday that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had approved the bureau’s proposal on Nov 27 to fine and ban over-stayers from re-entering the country for some years depending on the length of their overstay.

People who overstay will be treated according to whether they turn themselves in or are arrested the Bangkok Post reported.

For cases of surrender, those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban, and for more than one year they will be banned from re-entering Thailand for three years. Those with more than three years’ overstay will blacklisted for five years. Excessive overstay of five years or more will result in a re-entry ban of 10 years.

In cases of arrest, those who overstay their visas by up to one year will be banned from re-entering Thailand for five years and those with more than one year’s overstay period will be blacklisted for 10 years.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/foreigners-overstaying-their-visas-to-be-blacklisted-from-thailand.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2015-12-10

I've read the OP, is there any mention of increased fines, over and above what is charged now?

I heard that from someone over a month ago and got a bit of a ragging when I posted that here!

So when 2 weeks ago I heard via the same source the banning idea was being resurrected instead, I decided to keep quiet.

Still, these could all be just flushing out tactics........

I wonder if we will see the same tactic that was employed in the Middle East when I was there once. Some attractive jobs were advertised and when all the applicants turned up they were visa checked and many detained for issues!

They have all the data.

Visa number

Pasport number and details

TM card number, with it,s bar code!

Length of stay granted.

Valid work permit.

Photo.

All i would hope in a data base when you enter the country.

Additional data could be enteted on 1 st time in Thailand entry.

Now fingerprints to tye the person to the data, the passport, etc.

Now persent your passport at imigration where datails and pages are chevked by experenced imigration officer.

Scan finger prints. Data, details should match the details on file in the data base, even if they change pasports, get a new passport, use a passport in a different name or different details.

The finger prints wont match the data in thier data base.

Would be a nightmare for Spies!

Alot more thought nerds to go into the procedure, but they have most of the data on frequent visitors already.

First time verification takes longer obviously.

Leave the country, finger prints agian, data base would check, officer would verify and stamp your passport.

Database would show that you exited the country.

Trolls who bring up computer problems, get a life shit happens, but with out technology everyone is at risk.

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

Plan!!! Leave 2 days before visa expiry. You must have been here to long? Thinking like a Thai and leaving everything to the last minute!

I have my next 2 visa runs already booked and paid for and no I am not going on the last day and no I am not going to a neighbouring country and yes I have been here a long time and No I don't think (so) like a Thai.

Each border run is for us a holiday as we go at least 3-4 days to a country we like to visit.

Ps: In case you wonder how do I know when to go, easy PLAN and use a Calendar !!!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

I got to Swampy Immigration at 10pm one night on the last day of my stay to find an horrific queue. Finally got to the desk at 00.15 where the officer thought it quite funny to direct me to the overstay counter where I had a red stamp placed in my passport.

I wonder if this happened now if it could gain somebody a one year ban from the kingdom?

• Like 1

Overstay more than 90 days forbidden 1 year

Where did you take that from ?

Yesterday newspaper articles say:

"those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban"

I saw nowhere a 90 days period ?

Did Thai immigration really say that? Lol, Keep breaking the law because we're not going to punish you until March !!!

Or is this just a smokescreen to divert attention from the fact that all the immigration crackdowns and fining Mr Farang for not 90 day reporting, still doesn't stop terrorists and pedofiles and international gangsters (and that's just this week) from slipping into the country and living freely under the nose of those dimwitted Thai immigration officers.

And what takes the cake, is when a government spy TV member comments on here about how great the Thai immigration department is. Morning laughs are a great way to start the day

I got to Swampy Immigration at 10pm one night on the last day of my stay to find an horrific queue. Finally got to the desk at 00.15 where the officer thought it quite funny to direct me to the overstay counter where I had a red stamp placed in my passport.

I wonder if this happened now if it could gain somebody a one year ban from the kingdom?

If that happened to me, I would make it a permanent ban; I would not return.

Plan!!! Leave 2 days before visa expiry. You must have been here to long? Thinking like a Thai and leaving everything to the last minute!

This guy must be a real cheep Charlie if he is worried about loosing one day on a visa..As duckmandon states "GO ahead of time"

What´s gonna happen to the ones with under one year overstay?

The 20k roof still be there?

Amja

Maximum 20k fine imposed for 40+ days overstay

And !

Overstay more than 90 days forbidden 1 year
Overstay more than 1 year forbidden 3 years
Overstay more than 3 years forbidden 5 years
Overstay more than 5 years forbidden 10 years
In the case that alien is being apprehended
Overstay less than 1 year forbidden 5 years
Overstay more than 1 years forbidden 10 years

I sure hope that "overstay more than 90 days forbidden 1 year" will still be part of the regulation and less than 90 day overstays just result in a fine, because the Nation and Bangkok Post articles talk for cases of surrender, those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban.

Going purely on the articles wording where even a person with an overstay "under" 90 days would get zapped with a reentry band for 3 years since 90 days could be considered within that up to 1 year period. Yeap, sure hope it's just the wording of those articles and they don't blacklist folks who just forget about time to renew but remember it a few days late and then run to the immigration office to renew (see posts like this frequently), get laid-up in the hospital just before they were going to renew their extension and no one thinks about/helps the person to notify the immigration office while in the hospital, and I expect a whole variety of other scenarios where a person might innocently get into a short overstay status of a few days, few weeks, possibly up to but not exceeding 90 days.

• Like 1

Overstay blacklisting starts in March

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Immigration Bureau could start blacklisting foreigners who stay beyond their visa period with effect from March 2016.

COULD??? So this proposed law is not yet confirmed to be enacted fully? But somehow i still see 20+ pages of TVF speculation coming.

No way . I cannot believe that people will be discussing a subject on a forum.