BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Overstay blacklisting starts in March

And you think this will suddenly stop over staying and all those currently over staying are suddenly going to get a twinge of guilt and run to immigration to hand themselves in I think not. Those overstaying will be deeply embedded in there chosen location and will stay that way. Again there is no firm this will happen just yet another interpretation of a story.

If it is true and comes into effect as predicted, what it will do is take away the option of paying the 20,000 baht fine and come straight back again. Unless they sort themselves out before March next year. IMO, this announcement is the last chance given by immigration for people in the predicament to sort their shirt (rolleyes.gif ) out before the real crying starts. It has been on the cards for long enough already.

I also think that the OP has just taken some of the expected rules from the original (marked up) document, there will be more changes I'm sure. For those that don't think there will be any change for up to 90 days overstay, then you are being a lot more optimistic than I could ever be. Hope I am wrong though.

If someone is here on overstay and has no contact with the general public and therefore no risk of being questioned by the police, then not much will change. Just hope they are happy with the lifestyle.

I would imagine most long term overstayers do so because they have no money and can't afford to pay the 20k overstay fine, and get another visa. If they all left tomorrow I doubt it would make a jot of difference to the economy. Anyone overstaying through choice deserves to get thrown out and banned.

Moreover they can't afford flights home either.

If they are serious about getting rid of the over stayers then they should have a one month amnesty before the new rules apply.

Without the worry or fear of paying a fine or being locked up, they have an opportunity to contact family for help to get back home.

There again there will be some who have nothing, or no one to go back to!

they have had years to do that. if they have nothing what are they contributing to the economy?

Aint gonna happen they need to change thai immigration laws (to make over stay a CRIMINAL offence) and what they propose is against the United Nations signatory that Thailand signed up to be a member of

Still the next 70 pages will be interesting as usualcoffee1.gif

This has nothing to do with the EU. Singapore, jails overstays for a minimum of 6 months, cane them and then ban them for 5 years of entering Singapore. Malaysia has the same laws and the UN has nothing to do with it.

• Like 2

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

The dog ate your visa application? There were no more buses? Doubtful, they would get upset at lame excuses other than shake their heads and accept your overstay fine.

This new program is about introducing consequences for people who turn overstays into a "lifestyle", 555

It would appear they have realized the 20k baht max fine is a joke. I am happy they are looking at tightening things up. Baby steps.

I doubt very much that anyone with over 5 years of overstay will turn themselves in.

Just stay under the radar and continue.

Even over stayers contribute to the economy.

They might publish it in the newspaper with the faces, full name and how long they are on overstay. They do it in Singapore for years already.

It would appear they have realized the 20k baht max fine is a joke. I am happy they are looking at tightening things up. Baby steps.

Why should it bother you, you're probably only in Thailand on holiday. wink.png

There are hundreds if not thousands of expats just marking time here ,staying under the action trying not to get noticed on their overstay.Some are actual bums on the beach without funds to go home.Some just don't care.If the Immigration Department did a sweep of about two or three hours in Pattaya the jails would be full.

Edited by sanukjim

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

The dog ate your visa application? There were no more buses? Doubtful, they would get upset at lame excuses other than shake their heads and accept your overstay fine.

This new program is about introducing consequences for people who turn overstays into a "lifestyle", 555

Believe it or not all the time I have been in Thailand, I only had one overstay, and that was because ....... on the day I had to go, I waited and waited (at 6:30am) for the Van to pick me up, but it didn't show up. Called the contact number but no one answered (no surprise there ;)). Waited till 8:00am and made my way to the company and there they told me the Van broke down.

Did my Run the next day and the company even paid for mine and all the other guys overstay. So you see an accidental overstay CAN happen.

:wai:

Edited by MJCM

Same news source that said blacklisting laws were on the way back in 2014 http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-30239870.html

Will believe it when I see it.

The difference between now and then is that the Ministry of the Interior have now approved the immigrations proposal. If the report is correct that it's going for Royal approval then it means it's now also passed the PM/cabinet. If so then in March it will be posted in the Royal gazette and 60 days later bans will start being handed out.

• Like 1

Been here this time for 15 years and I am still learning about the Immigration Department's ways.Departed Thailand in April 2015,returned ion July 2,2015 on a reentry visa .My retirement visa was renewed on the 8 September 2015.Assuming the 90 day reporting was also done at this time. I returned to Immigration for my 90 day report on 3 December 2015.Informed that I am now over stayed received a 2,000 baht fine. Renewal of a Retirement Visa is not reporting for 90 day.There is no logic to this and since TIT I smiled and was polite and said that I understood and thank you.

Edited by sanukjim

Will they? Can they? That is the question. We have seen how well the reporting on line went. I haven't tried the 7/11 reporting yet.