Why be a Buddhist Monk in Thailand?

fang37

I have noticed that a number of expats become a novice monk & then naturally progress to full ordainment.

Those I have met do not speak Thai fluently.

So what is their function?

What are the advantages eg free everything & visa privileges?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about that, the connection got cut off.

As far as visas, go, I'm not so sure of the exact types but the temple with be the main reason why you'll be issued one.

Their function is that of other monks, though I do notice that the foreign monks seem to be a little more strict in their practice.

Nothing is really free, per se. If one has a sense of gratitude they'll more than likely try to do their best to maintain the temple that is usually built by the faith of the laypeople, i.e. taking care of requisites donated, trying to practice rightly.

If you're interested in ordaining, and you're in Thailand, check out the branches of Ajahn Cha - there isn't just the international temple but another somewhere in Korat if I remember;

If you're a foreign monk at a thai temple, observe as long as you can before making a decision. I say this because what you see isn't necessarily what things will be when you cross over. If you're looking for solitude try seeking out a good forest temple; the more monks, the more social things will be. This is just culture though, they're very social people and as a result nothing really changes when they become monks.

The international temple, if I remember right, teaches thai to foriegn monks; and if you don't speak thai or have a difficult time with another language, hang in there - the more you're around the people the more you'll pick up.

fang37.

IMO, expat novice monks would have an education visa.

Once ordained, expat monks who do not speak Thai? Useless? Deport.

Well I am Thai an atheist but I respect the rights of others Thai and non Thai to follow that which they believe,

Now are you a Thai are you a Buddhist and are you qualified to make comments like you did or are are you yet another Thai basher ?

Religious and ethnic discrimination.Wonderful

I am not a Thai basher. Also, I am farang.

I have lived in LOS for 13+ years. I am a practising Buddhist.

My observations are -

Thai people do not seek assistance from the monks in their spiritual pursuits.

The Abbot where I live seems to be interested in overseas travel & building a new wat.

The novice monks seem to do all the manual work whilst the ordained enjoy playing computer games & using their smartphones.

fang37

My observations are -

The Abbot where I live seems to be interested in overseas travel & building a new wat.

The novice monks seem to do all the manual work whilst the ordained enjoy playing computer games & using their smartphones.

Much the a same as in all other religious beliefs isn't it.

Judge not others lest you be judged yourself

Pretty much what was said above. You'll see alot that make you turn an eye, but the more time spent on staying outside yourself the more stressful you'll be. It's a very subtle thing many of us do, but if you can cultivate mindfulness when you notice it you can kill it as time goes by.

fang37

My observations are -

Much the a same as in all other religious beliefs isn't it.

Judge not others lest you be judged yourself

So you think buddhism is just another religion?

I agree!

No, I don't.

I see Christianity as a religion based on fear whereas Buddhism is based on knowledge & application of a life based on intelligence & research. No prayers seeking assistance - do it yourself.

No, I don't.

I see Christianity as a religion based on fear whereas Buddhism is based on knowledge & application of a life based on intelligence & research. No prayers seeking assistance - do it yourself.

That is the European view of buddhism.

That view is very appealing, and maybe close to the original philosophy.

Do you think this also is the view of Thai buddhism?

PS In my post I was really replying to shunter, but I like to hear the opinion of others too.

Buddhism in truth is an atheist belief so a belief it may be, but it is in fact not a religion.

There has been a lot of debate on this. The majority say no - it is a way of life.

Does it all really matter?

Buddhism in truth is an atheist belief so a belief it may be, but it is in fact not a religion.

Before one can go down this road a definition of what "religion" is should be established.

Each of us may have different views.

Perhaps "dictionary.com" as a reference?

There has been a lot of debate on this. The majority say no - it is a way of life.

If the majority favor a stance does this make it correct?

• 3 weeks later...

No, I don't.

I see Buddhism as the right way of life, unlike some religions that practised more like scam to get money out if their gullible and ignorant followers. Of course like any scam, the people promoting it will never admit, but wisdom tells.

It doesn't matter. Buddhism is a way of life, it's not a belief that can be found wrong like other religions.

It doesn't matter. Buddhism is a way of life, it's not a belief that can be found wrong like other religions.

Re Birth, Nibanna, & Kharma are beliefs.

There are no known scientific ways of verifying them.

Re Birth, Nibanna, & Kharma are beliefs.

There are no known scientific ways of verifying them.

Does it matter ? There are also no scientific ways of verifying any God but majority of the world's population believed in at least one.

At least the theory of rebirth and karma is not logic-defying like most God-believing religions, and they are in consistency with scientific theories.

When science proved karma and Rebirth, Buddhism will no longer be Buddhism or religion.

Rebirth and karma may seem logical (craving pushes one into the next life etc), but they depend on unproven/unprovable premises that a mechanism exists that enables them to work. This is no different from theistic religions that claim - seemingly logically - that the patterns found in nature suggest a Creator.

Rather than claiming that Buddhism is logical, I think it is better to promote the ways it is unique, i.e. that the goal of nibbana/nirvana can be attained in this lifetime, and that the techniques used result in a positive and continuous development of the mind.

If you are the Abbott of the wat, there are several perks - 1st class overseas travel & accommodation on a regular basis, adoration by the lay people, several small items eg latest smartphone & sub, TV, PC, Wi-Fi & best of all free haircuts, ear cleansing & manicures.

If you are the Abbott of the wat, there are several perks - 1st class overseas travel & accommodation on a regular basis, adoration by the lay people, several small items eg latest smartphone & sub, TV, PC, Wi-Fi & best of all free haircuts, ear cleansing & manicures.

True but I don't think anyone will want to be a monk because of such perks, considering all their other losses.

Archived