Brit beaten-up by Ladyboy’s on Pattaya Beach Promenade

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. But you should be able to walk around freely without being harassed by these nut jobs. They are the source of many crimes here in Pattaya. Don't want to generalize, but those on beach road late at night need to be dealt with.

I think you're making too much of time and location. You shouldn't go around insulting ladyboys anywhere at any time. Also, you shouldn't go around verbally insulting anyone anywhere at any time.

My answer is usually "no thanks" with as little interaction as possible.

It is quite typical for insecure homophobes to react this way.

If a man, woman, or a man dressed as a woman, grabs me in the crotch, I'm going to be upset. It's uncalled for. And in many cases here, leads to theft.

Nothing homophobic about that. The police should do a better job of patrolling Beach Road late at night. And no reason for a beat down due to a few words. Especially from a group against an old man. Ridiculous.

I've flown in before from overseas, and unable to sleep, have gone for late night walks around town (here and Bangkok). Your safety shouldn't be an issue.

I am sure if the victim was not provoking the ladyboys, they would have left him alone.

Are you clairvoyant? Were you there? Are you suggesting ladyboys are never aggressive?

I am certainly not, though I'm never out after about 23.30. The BiB said that the guy admitted he hated ladyboys, and was abusing them.

If I am approached in a civil manner by anyone, provided they are sober (I never walk about Pattaya or Bangkok where there are no other people around) I will speak with them.

I don't mind speaking with anyone, ladyboy, homosexual or normal, and yes, there are aggressive ladyboys, but not them all.

If a man, woman, or a man dressed as a woman, grabs me in the crotch, I'm going to be upset. It's uncalled for. And in many cases here, leads to theft.

Nothing homophobic about that. The police should do a better job of patrolling Beach Road late at night. And no reason for a beat down due to a few words. Especially from a group against an old man. Ridiculous.

I've flown in before from overseas, and unable to sleep, have gone for late night walks around town (here and Bangkok). Your safety shouldn't be an issue.

I hear the argument Craig. But it is about "shoulds". What should happen then it extends to what is legal and is not. Many of these 'shoulds' are largely premised on values we bring from abroad only we choose the ones we want when convenient. You will cite justice and Thai law too, fairly, but nothing in Thailand has any consistency around ‘should’. Change that, and I am with your pov.

True these LBs take advantage and true they are an element on beach that needs attention, they can be a criminal element often without much hesitation. But prostitution is illegal too, so the punter that brings the lip and attitude then appeals to the law because he did not like the darker side of what his holiday was about, gets no quarter either.

It is the proverbial Rome he came for and he just did not do what Romans do when it counted. He did whatever he does back home then cried foul.

Moralising about "shoulds" works in another debate

I'd rather confront a group of IS terrorist or wrestle a gorilla that to argue with those ladyboys....

You may have just come up with an idea to defeat ISIS using a uniquely Thai special ops unit ... Pink Berets? SEA-LBs?

[Apparently the ISIS fighters are terrified of being killed by a Kurdish woman fighter because it because it blocks their way to paradise... not sure what the 'rules' are concerning ladyboys :-) ]

Looking around Arab soi's would appear the rules concerning ladyboys are to bend them over as soon as possiblegiggle.gif

Agreed. But you should be able to walk around freely without being harassed by these nut jobs. They are the source of many crimes here in Pattaya. Don't want to generalize, but those on beach road late at night need to be dealt with.

I no longer get bothered by them, might have something to do with having my 40kg pitbul with me wink.png

Happy to rent him out on hourly basis smile.png

Had a friend a girl with maybe 40 kg who had an unusual big Rottweiler and always went for a walk in a pretty bad area. She told frequently other women asked her if they can walk along and if she might change the route a bit so it goes closer to their place.....Lovely dog...unfortunately complete untrained and a bit nervous.....

Oh mine has not had any training , since puppy he hates Thai man. No idea why. Loves women but hates Thai man

Mine too !!!

I hear the argument Craig. But it is about "shoulds". What should happen then it extends to what is legal and is not. Many of these 'shoulds' are largely premised on values we bring from abroad only we choose the ones we want when convenient. You will cite justice and Thai law too, fairly, but nothing in Thailand has any consistency around ‘should’. Change that, and I am with your pov.

True these LBs take advantage and true they are an element on beach that needs attention, they can be a criminal element often without much hesitation. But prostitution is illegal too, so the punter that brings the lip and attitude then appeals to the law because he did not like the darker side of what his holiday was about, gets no quarter either.

It is the proverbial Rome he came for and he just did not do what Romans do when it counted. He did whatever he does back home then cried foul.

Hardly moralizing. It is against the law to beat up another person. I doubt the guy came here to get beat up during a walk on the beach. Rome or not.

Hardly moralizing. It is against the law to beat up another person. I doubt the guy came here to get beat up during a walk on the beach. Rome or not.

Doubt the ladyboys woke up in the morning and said to themselves "lets get an old drunk sexpat tourist to verbally accost us so we can beat his rear." Bottom line this is Pattaya and not a family Fairyland park. Everybody knows who has read this post how dangerous it is for idiots to frequent beach road late at night even when sober. Add alcohol and an abusive attitude and whatever happens, its your own fault period.

Officials say they are trying to turn Pattaya into a more upscale destination. And over the years, Pattaya has changed a lot. Still a long way to go.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768338-pattaya-to-be-rebranded-as-world-sport-destination/

http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/visit/pattayas-family-friendly-push-threatened-615410/

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/218522/pattaya-coconut-bar-shutdown-by-pattaya-police/

It has been some time since such an operation has taken place and is part of an ongoing plan by Pattaya Police to assist in portraying Pattaya as a safe family resort.

Maybe things will change. Maybe they won't. But in the past 10 years, I've seen some big changes here.

I hear the argument Craig. But it is about "shoulds". What should happen then it extends to what is legal and is not. Many of these 'shoulds' are largely premised on values we bring from abroad only we choose the ones we want when convenient. You will cite justice and Thai law too, fairly, but nothing in Thailand has any consistency around should. Change that, and I am with your pov.

Doubt the ladyboys woke up in the morning and said to themselves "lets get an old drunk sexpat tourist to verbally accost us so we can beat his rear." Bottom line this is Pattaya and not a family Fairyland park. Everybody knows who has read this post how dangerous it is for idiots to frequent beach road late at night even when sober. Add alcohol and an abusive attitude and whatever happens, its your own fault period.

Stop defending these criminals.

Their prime motive is to rob tourists.

That is exactly why they are around late at night in areas where tourists are likely to be drunk and nearly always it is a single drunk male that is the victim of their cowardly criminal acts.

That is exactly why they are around late at night in areas where tourists are likely to be drunk and nearly always it is a single drunk male that is the victim of their cowardly criminal acts.

You cannot have it both ways. Love the lassitude you get from the girls in sin city, keep your mouth shut about the LBs if you don't approve and keep on walking. Our victim could not do both.

Crime is everywhere anyhow. Not peculiar to those areas and every tourist knows that. 'Trend policing' suits a partisan view. Fact is prostitution could/should be policed as well. No problem if they did shut it down but where would that leave all of the rest of pattaya and its impending customers?

Clean it all up, as the law states or accept the natural corollaries of the jungle and play by jungle rules.

I seriously doubt EVERY tourist knows what's going on. If so, we wouldn't have any jet ski scams. Right? We don't know what was said. Something silly could have been said. As mentioned above, they are criminals out looking for victims.

Not everybody comes here for the girls. Though it is quite popular!

You cannot have it both ways. Love the lassitude you get from the girls in sin city, keep your mouth shut about the LBs if you don't approve and keep on walking. Our victim could not do both.

Crime is everywhere anyhow. Not peculiar to those areas and every tourist knows that. 'Trend policing' suits a partisan view. Fact is prostitution could/should be policed as well. No problem if they did shut it down but where would that leave all of the rest of pattaya and its impending customers?

Clean it all up, as the law states or accept the natural corollaries of the jungle and play by jungle rules.

What a lot of old cobblers!

How many working gals are beating up and robbing tourists?

Very strange logic.

It is not like it would be really hard for the police to patrol areas like the beach front, walking st and soi boukow late at night.

It would also make more sense to actually lock up and prosecute some of these criminals with meaningful sentences.

Of course this is all predicated on the idea that the Thais really give a stuff about tourist safety.

LBs were not a huge problem 10 -20 years ago in Pattaya when there was a much more in your face sex scene so I really cant buy your argument at all.

-Sorry, any grown man who is walking around the Beach Promenade or on the beach after midnight is looking for trouble. He is not exactly walking around for fresh air - DUH. Plus if he has had a few drinks before hand, he will not have the best judgement. So I have no sympathy for this 65+ year old man that should have reached the point of being wise and street-wise. You would never see me walking on the streets after 2am in parts of Chicago, Rome, or Amsterdam, so why do tourists think this is more of a safe-haven?

I think you're making too much of time and location. You shouldn't go around insulting ladyboys anywhere at any time. Also, you shouldn't go around verbally insulting anyone anywhere at any time.

I saw no mention of any physical assault in the OP or news report. I must have missed the part where the ladyboys grabbed the old Brit in the crotch.

It was stated quite clearly that he abused them because he hates them, which is most likely another case of homophobia.

Interesting how most posters seem to blame the farang.

Whilst he shouldn't have said what he did these low life criminals shouldn't be allowed to continue to prowl the streets late at night looking to assault and rob tourists.

If the police actually did their job it just might be a lot safer to walk around late at night without having to deal with these scum.

Why should tourists have to be nice and say sorry no thanks to a bunch of thieving criminals who are trying to rob and assault ?

Get real this is a problem that the police should be handling. Stop blaming the tourists and the victims and start looking at the source of the problems.

Of course you can blame the old farang. If he'd been less homophobic and merely smiled and said "no thanks" there would have been no assault.

Anyone who hates ladyboys would be better off avoiding Pattaya, period. It's not like he didn't know the streets are crawling with them.

It doesn't matter whether you clean the beaches up or not. He could have been beaten up by Ladyboys anywhere around town.

I saw no mention of any physical assault in the OP or news report. I must have missed the part where the ladyboys grabbed the old Brit in the crotch.

It was stated quite clearly that he abused them because he hates them, which is most likely another case of homophobia.

Is it homophobia if you don't like the criminals masquerading as women and preying on drunk vulnerable tourists late at night?

Sorry I don't think so.

We don't know from the report whether he was accosted or not but it wouldn't be surprising considering that is quite often the modus operandi.

Sure he was an idiot and should've have kept his trap shut but I hope all those posters who think he deserves what he go never get caught up in situation in Thailand because I am sure there will be no sense of compassion or justice from most of the posters here.

Is it homophobia if you don't like the criminals masquerading as women and preying on drunk vulnerable tourists late at night?

Sorry I don't think so.

We don't know from the report whether he was accosted or not but it wouldn't be surprising considering that is quite often the modus operandi.

Sure he was an idiot and should've have kept his trap shut but I hope all those posters who think he deserves what he go never get caught up in situation in Thailand because I am sure there will be no sense of compassion or justice from most of the posters here.

You remind me of another Australian (friend of a friend - first visit to Pattaya) who constantly got his nose out of joint whenever approached by ladyboys. He was always talking about how he was going to smash them. It was hard to calm him down. He too thought of them as men.

At least in Thailand they are open minded enough to consider them as a 3rd gender, but you're giving them no such consideration and calling them "criminals masquerading as women".

I'll give these "criminals masquerading as women" the benefit of the doubt (i.e. innocent until proven guilty) and suggest that the old Brit was blind drunk and attacked them verbally when approached in a friendly manner by what I call transsexuals.

Tourists are constantly approached by females and transsexuals along the beach. They're not abusing the females. If they were, I have no doubt they be beaten up by groups of working girls or their minders.

As was mentioned above, the general operation of these criminals is getting close to you, grabbing you, without your permission. Many times, things go missing. I'd be upset if it was a group of ladies. Just not appropriate. And happens way too often here.

They went back after him, on a motorbike, and then beat him. Impossible to defend the actions of these criminals. Nor impossible to say this man was doing the wrong thing by walking down one of the main attractions here in Pattaya. Regardless of the time of night. Yes, I understand it can be dangerous...but it shouldn't be. Nothing about being homophobic.

Sorry I don't think so.

You remind me of another Australian (friend of a friend - first visit to Pattaya) who constantly got his nose out of joint whenever approached by ladyboys. He was always talking about how he was going to smash them. It was hard to calm him down. He too thought of them as men.

At least in Thailand they are open minded enough to consider them as a 3rd gender, but you're giving them no such consideration and calling them "criminals masquerading as women".

I'll give these "criminals masquerading as women" the benefit of the doubt (i.e. innocent until proven guilty) and suggest that the old Brit was blind drunk and attacked them verbally when approached in a friendly manner by what I call transsexuals.

Tourists are constantly approached by females and transsexuals along the beach. They're not abusing the females. If they were, I have no doubt they be beaten up by groups of working girls or their minders.

Not homophobic at all.

I have read interviews of Thai men who admitted becoming LBs purely so they could get some of the tourists money on offer in towns like Pattaya.

They come out late at night with the express purpose of robbing tourists so please don't give me that BS about tolerance for a third gender.

They are not what I would call legitimate LBs in any way shape or form. In fact they give all those decent LBs a very bad name.

You can suggest what you like about the circumstances regarding the drunk brit but we all know their usual modus operandi.

Most expats and long time thai visitors will never have any problems because we know the score but for many others they are not so lucky.

Heck many newbies don't even realise they are transgenders until they get back to the hotel that is!

Not homophobic at all.

I have read interviews of Thai men who admitted becoming LBs purely so they could get some of the tourists money on offer in towns like Pattaya.

They come out late at night with the express purpose of robbing tourists so please don't give me that BS about tolerance for a third gender.

They are not what I would call legitimate LBs in any way shape or form. In fact they give all those decent LBs a very bad name.

You can suggest what you like about the circumstances regarding the drunk brit but we all know their usual modus operandi.

Most expats and long time thai visitors will never have any problems because we know the score but for many others they are not so lucky.

Heck many newbies don't even realise they are transgenders until they get back to the hotel that is!

If anyone insults ladyboys anywhere, even when their "modus operandi" is legit (as with genuine ladyboys), bad things could happen, along the beach, in Walking Street, or anywhere.

Now you're backing away from your earlier homophobic comments with assumptions they were not legit (i.e. "criminals masquerading as women" as you called them), purely because it happened along the beach as this is where you claim some non-legit LB's hangout.

You seem to be making the general assumption that only non-legit LBs will assault a farang who insults them. You're also suggesting that only non-legit LBs ply the beach.

Getting back to this particular case - the reason for the assault was, without doubt, caused by homophobia.

From the OP: Mr. Murphy revealed to Police his hatred of Ladyboy’s and this led him to throw verbal profanities in the direction of the group of transsexuals,

If some bike taxi boys asked him if he wanted a ride the answer would probably be "no thanks".

If some girls asked him if he wanted company in his room: "no thanks"

If the flower ladies pushed flowers in his face: "no thanks".

If some ping pong show touts came up to him: "no thanks".

Some ladyboys asked him if he required sexual services: verbal profanities, unmentionable here.

Not homophobic at all.

If anyone insults ladyboys anywhere, even when their "modus operandi" is legit (as with genuine ladyboys), bad things could happen, along the beach, in Walking Street, or anywhere.

Now you're backing away from your earlier homophobic comments with assumptions they were not legit (i.e. "criminals masquerading as women" as you called them), purely because it happened along the beach as this is where you claim some non-legit LB's hangout.

You seem to be making the general assumption that only non-legit LBs will assault a farang who insults them. You're also suggesting that only non-legit LBs ply the beach.

Getting back to this particular case - the reason for the assault was, without doubt, caused by homophobia.

From the OP: Mr. Murphy revealed to Police his hatred of Ladyboy’s and this led him to throw verbal profanities in the direction of the group of transsexuals,

If some bike taxi boys asked him if he wanted a ride the answer would probably be "no thanks".

If some girls asked him if he wanted company in his room: "no thanks"

If the flower ladies pushed flowers in his face: "no thanks".

If some ping pong show touts came up to him: "no thanks".

Some ladyboys asked him if he required sexual services: verbal profanities, unmentionable here.

The reason he was assaulted is only partly explained by his verbal profanities.

More pertinent is the fact that there is little or no real policing done to protect tourists in known hot spots where these criminals hang out.

Further to this there are little or no real consequence when they do in fact get caught.

500 baht fine and next please for cases where tourists have been viciously assaulted and robbed.

What do you think of the Brit who was killed by LBs in a concurrent thread ?

Do you also think that he bought it upon himself because he was in the room with or having sex with a LB?

I guess if he never came to Thailand then it wouldn't have happened?whistling.gif

As for men masquerading as women I stand by that comment.

There are many that don't even remotely look like women who call themselves LBs and have a four day growth and put on lipstick and frock and there are others who are purely driven by commercial greed who have become LBs. .

More pertinent is the fact that there is little or no real policing done to protect tourists in known hot spots where these criminals hang out.

Further to this there are little or no real consequence when they do in fact get caught.

500 baht fine and next please for cases where tourists have been viciously assaulted and robbed.

Do you also think that he bought it upon himself because he was in the room with or having sex with a LB?

I guess if he never came to Thailand then it wouldn't have happened?whistling.gif

There are many that don't even remotely look like women who call themselves LBs and have a four day growth and put on lipstick and frock and there are others who are purely driven by commercial greed who have become LBs. .

You're taking a discussion about a homophobic Brit (by his own admission) and using it as a sounding board to discuss your feelings about LB's in general. I'm only debating this story as it was written, with no further evidence than what has been presented here.

I can tell you a story about a LB beaten to death by a young US marine in Subic Bay (because he claims he didn't know she was a transsexual when he picked her up), but it's beside the point. It's no more the story than the other one you mentioned. Non-LB's also beat people to death.

This one was due to homophobia. By the looks of it he got off lightly. Perhaps they gave him a break for his age.

If you go around abusing anyone in Pattaya, LB or not, you'll likely cop a beating. Try it on Bike Taxi boys, for example... or baht bus drivers.

You're taking a discussion about a homophobic Brit (by his own admission) and using it as a sounding board to discuss your feelings about LB's in general. I'm only debating this story as it was written, with no further evidence than what has been presented here.

I can tell you a story about a LB beaten to death by a young US marine in Subic Bay (because he claims he didn't know she was a transsexual when he picked her up), but it's beside the point. It's no more the story than the other one you mentioned. Non-LB's also beat people to death.

This one was due to homophobia. By the looks of it he got off lightly. Perhaps they gave him a break for his age.

If you go around abusing anyone in Pattaya, LB or not, you'll likely cop a beating. Try it on Bike Taxi boys, for example... or baht bus drivers.

I see some Common threads..... Two Brits... Ladyboys...., arguments.... Brits coming off second best

IMHO, people who play nice rarely fare so poorly,

I am not talking about LBs in general at all.

I am talking about the criminal LBs who come out late at night in Pattaya with the express purpose of targeting and robbing single usual drunk farangs.

I am also talking about how there is little to no policing in known hot spot areas and further rarely any adverse consequences for the perpetrators of these crimes.

Nobody is arguing that he may have precipitated the confrontation by his verbal profanities although we don't know if this is because he was physically accosted or not but that in itself wouldn't be surprising. .

Archived