What to do in Ubon Ratchatani for a couple days?

mangyH2obuffalo

Just arrived of a spontaneous flight to escape Fakekok rat race.......what to do from 1600-23:00?

Looks like tomorrow is Sampanbok.

Tuesday flight leaves past 19:00.......any ideas for the day?

I have a friend in Detudom which I am told is about 60km outside the city.......maybe maybe not. Could use a day in a sleepy village (is it a sleepy village?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I stayed there for one night about 6 months ago in a little resort with a nice pool. Spent the evening eating out then to a small but friendly Thai mini Tawan Deang type Rock club. Had a good time. Sorry cannot remember resort name but it has been spoken about on here before.

4 years in Thailand and I've never been to Pattaya.....Nana, well that's a different story?. Those darn Muslims! Actually, as a uni professor I pray to God, Ala, and Budha for Muslim students as they have academic principles instilled in them and actively participate more than trying to bs me with a weigh and a "thank you teacha" ..... Thanks for what?- that I didn't wake your useless ass up in class? Lost in Isaan good luck casting your absentee vote for trump.....you should cast it in the Mekhong

I recommend a day trip to Khong Chiam and spend relaxing time on the Mekong river. There's even a high end resort there call the Tohsang Khongjiam Resort & Spa. I've seen many Europeans there and I heard the massages are great. There is a Toyota Commuter van that runs about every hour from the Ubon bus station to khong Chiam. I heard about 80 baht one way. Enjoy your visit.

Good foreign restaurant near the Airport called peppers--=400 gram mondo hamburger (just don't doi the pizza). Abouit 500 meters from there is a place called Me bar (has decent English pies and a screen to watching sport. The Outside Inn, about 5 km from the airport, is undoubtedly the most laid-back bed and breakfast I ever enjoyed, and has great Mexican food.

The young Thais go to Chill Bar, about 3 km from the airport, or Yloft, in the Big C / Mcdonalds Plaza (live music and some pretty faces).

Day activities are either go to the Moon River--lots of cafes with beer on the river, and decent Thai food, with some foreign fare, or go to Candle Park for a picnic.

Try the wonderful Outside Inn - http://www.theoutsideinnubon.com/ - run by a really nice American guy - very nice rooms - great Mexican food menu, plus Thai food, cheap delicious cocktails and a very pleasant garden to relax and enjoy it all in - they have bicycales you can use to pedl around the city cnetre - it is the only way to spend any time in Ubon, and honestly one of the best places in thailand to stay - and anyone that stays in the hideous Laithong hotel well, what can i say, but get out and move to the this lovely place...... (i did many years ago, but that was prior to the wonderful Outside Inn)

Curious if anyone knows how much it is for long tail boat rides on saphanbok? Any scams? It's me and two girls

If the girls are looking after you, then there shouldn't be any problem with scams! My ex and her sisters got me into the National Park for Thai price after giving the "guards" at the entrance a piece of their mind on her graduation day, and they made sure all was legit and above board for a little tour and longboat ride at Samphanbok! :)

I can't remember exactly how much it was, but it won't break the bank. I think it was something like 200 Baht for 3 of us for the boat ride. The guy took us to all the little local sites too, and was really friendly, funny and chatty. It was absolutely scorching in late Feb, but well worth it. A lot of construction going on at the time, so I expect while facilities have no doubt improved over the last couple of years, I expect the prices and the number of tourists have too. Still worth it, and will be cheaper than more popular western orientated sites.

Oh, and Khong Chiam is spectacular at sunrise!

Thanks again. Yeah, it was 500 baht for the 3 of us boat all to ourselves with a mini tour a few km up the river and walking around. Lasted about an hour and a half. Scorching hot on the river bed but tolerable above it with shade from the trees and a nice breeze. The Grand Canyon reference is humorous.

Thanks again. Yeah, it was 500 baht for the 3 of us boat all to ourselves with a mini tour a few km up the river and walking around. Lasted about an hour and a half. Scorching hot on the river bed but tolerable above it with shade from the trees and a nice breeze. The Grand Canyon reference is humorous.

Curious if anyone knows how much it is for long tail boat rides on saphanbok? Any scams? It's me and two girls

You have two girls with you already?? Get a bottle of rum and hang-out-with-your-wang-out. Time flies when you're naked.

If you fancy a beer, buddy bar 3 big Leo 100baht but you do have to pay for ice, think it opens at 6 or 7pm, live music every night, they've also got a nightclub around the back with some fantastic live music. There's a lot of restaurants/bars/shops near to the Mcdonalds on the main road, sorry can't remember the name of the park but a taxi will take you anywhere for pennies, no duel pricing in ubon either just happy smiling genuine thais, completely opposite to the south

First recommendation I've ever heard for a Toyota commuter van trip.

Don't do it!

Why not? Better than a crowded, hot, non-air conditioned bus. And, it doesn't stop at every village it goes by.

Leg room. If you are 6 feet like me, your knees are fairly close to your ears.

You could try the Turkish Sauna without Muslims mumbling in Arabic at Krung Thong Hotel, or similar. Other members on this forum might be more knowledgeable. thumbsup.gif

Closed about a year ago!

Krung Thong is now a new ECO Inn, Novotel or something similar. Only two mainstream soapies left in Ubon AFAIK

Archived