What would you do?

Paul Laycock

One week ago to the day my wife's grandmother passed away. I was asked to fire a shot from my gun signaling the death to nearby villagers. I duly obliged and returned home. Later in the afternoon I returned for the monks ceremony only to be told to sit outside.

I'm told being unable to sit on the floor is a problem as sitting on a chair would make me higher than the monks. Is this correct and what would you have done.

I didn't attend any further visits by the monks or the funeral. I am partially disabled and sitting on floors is a no no. Am I in the bad books now.

At funerals I've attended in Bangkok temples, the monks are on a raised platform so the people sitting on chairs aren't a problem. If you were in a small area where you would have been near the monks and higher than them, I can imagine the local people might have felt uncomfortable. I don't see what you can do, really. A Thai in your situation would probably be OK with sitting outside. They might not understand why you don't want to sit outside, but I doubt you'll be in anyone's bad books.

Archived