Yaba scam in Phrae

aussiesteve63

Recently a work colleague of my wife's cousin was in Phrae on business

when he pulled into a fuel station to top up,as he was leaving the station he noticed plastic protruding from the flap covering the fuel cap so soon as he was able he pulled over and investigated and found a plastic bag containing Yaba pills stuffed in there,he quickly discarded of them in some trash on the roadside and continued on his way. A ways up the road he was stopped at a police road block and the car and himself searched thoroughly and after not finding any thing they became rather agitated with the lead officer getting straight on his mobile to persons unknown,eventually they had to let him go as they had nothing on him. When discussing this with work colleagues from the district they told him they had heard of local police working with fuel station attendants to plant the pills and the police would pull them over and demand

30-40,000 baht in order to drop the charges. Not sure if this is happening in other provinces but something to remember when fuelling up your vehicle in the future

My Mrs is from Phrae.

I think the info in the OP makes that reason #498764343453333434354537413344 for me not to visit and is another good excuse of why I can spend next Songkran in the comfort of my rented palace watching repeat episodes of Coronation Street.

Thanks for the info.

Edit to add - Phrae ain't in Isaan though.

What gas station? Did he get the cop's information? Why didn't he go to the media and police after? Would be nice to take the police to the Yaba he discarded, go to the police station to the get the surveillance and arrest the attendant who is pumping the gas, then arrest the police officer? Would be nice to see someone do something for a change.

My Mrs is from Phrae.

I think the info in the OP makes that reason #498764343453333434354537413344 for me not to visit and is another good excuse of why I can spend next Songkran in the comfort of my rented palace watching repeat episodes of Coronation Street.

Thanks for the info.

Right Khun Panthere rose biggrin.png ; Phrae is in the north of Thailand , far from Isaan .

My Mrs is from Phrae.

Thanks for the info.

Sorry just thought I share the story around as he is from Mahasarakham

What gas station? Did he get the cop's information? Why didn't he go to the media and police after? Would be nice to take the police to the Yaba he discarded, go to the police station to the get the surveillance and arrest the attendant who is pumping the gas, then arrest the police officer? Would be nice to see someone do something for a change.

One will have to consider a possible defamation lawsuit filed by RTP and or gas station owner. Such a charge does not rely on truth, only potential harm to reputation. And if a person makes any negative comments about RTP on the internet (ie., Facebook), one will also face potential cyber crime charges as well as anyone who "liked" the comments. That could get a life sentence.

Thanks 'aussiesteve' for the 'heads-up' on this scam. Coincidentally, the subject arose very recently in another thread about the petrol pump shortage scam. It makes one wonder what these barstewards will think of next! I'm visiting Isaan soon for the New Year celebrations, so I'll be extra careful when refuelling my pick-up.

Yes, THX for the info Aussiesteve.....I never let anyone do things on my car without my presence but it's a open 4x4, they can put anything in the back with the boxes of stuff I have there. !!!

Best regards, Off Road Pat

agree, but that would mean he's telling the truth and I don't believe him.

Urban (or rural) legends abound on Thai Visa even if the poster seems a little confused about the location of the "event."

A friend of mine heard from his sister's ex boyfriend that his barber's uncle knew of someone who ...

Regardless of whether or not it actually happened, it will enter the TV catalog of facts to be referenced in future.

"Trap" that has happened to me, although only once. As I was pulling out of a gas station I noticed a group of young Thais around a dark old crappy car of indistinguishable brand to my left, and wondered why they where all looking at me. As I approached the exit of the station the black car suddenly accelerated and screeched to a sudden halt just in front of me so If I did not react fast enough I would crash into the side of the car. Luckily I was able to react and stop just before crashing into the car, youngster in driver seat looked at me with a smile, backed back to where he started and I drove away thru the exit, all happening too fast for me to realize the trap until I had a few minutes to think over it while driving away.

Sounds like a good way to virtually guarantee something even worse happening to him, your not in Kansas here.....

agree, but that would mean he's telling the truth and I don't believe him.

Urban (or rural) legends abound on Thai Visa even if the poster seems a little confused about the location of the "event."

A friend of mine heard from his sister's ex boyfriend that his barber's uncle knew of someone who ...

Regardless of whether or not it actually happened, it will enter the TV catalog of facts to be referenced in future.

As the saying goes "you can't teach an old dog new tricks", so I doubt that you'll ever learn to post anything of real intellectual value to TVF. Hopefully the day will come when you prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath waiting!

Not everyone wants to commit suicide, you know.

One will have to consider a possible defamation lawsuit filed by RTP and or gas station owner. Such a charge does not rely on truth, only potential harm to reputation. And if a person makes any negative comments about RTP on the internet (ie., Facebook), one will also face potential cyber crime charges as well as anyone who "liked" the comments. That could get a life sentence.

Oh Yes....they would turn it around on you some how someway while they would possibly get even more money out of you under threat of going to jail for anything they can drum up and fabricate.

They do what they do because they do it with impunity.

To get back at them silently and unknown to them...well now......that is a better strategy.

Cheers

when he pulled into a fuel station to top up,as he was leaving the station he noticed plastic protruding from the flap covering the fuel cap so soon as he was able he pulled over and investigated and found a plastic bag containing Yaba pills stuffed in there,he quickly discarded of them in some trash on the roadside and continued on his way. A ways up the road he was stopped at a police road block and the car and himself searched thoroughly and after not finding any thing they became rather agitated with the lead officer getting straight on his mobile to persons unknown,eventually they had to let him go as they had nothing on him. When discussing this with work colleagues from the district they told him they had heard of local police working with fuel station attendants to plant the pills and the police would pull them over and demand

30-40,000 baht in order to drop the charges. Not sure if this is happening in other provinces but something to remember when fuelling up your vehicle in the future

Load of crap ,

Myths are alive and well I see

Load of crap ,

Maybe a myth to you Mango Bob but the wife and her cousins are sharing the news on FB and Line so they believe it to be true

Load of crap ,

Maybe a myth to you Mango Bob but the wife and her cousins are sharing the news on FB and Line so they believe it to be true

They are gunna jump on facebook and publicly state the police are colluding with petrol station attendants to extort money by having them plant drugs in customers cars?.

Be a shame if the Police take offense to that and decide to chuck them in the pokey for 10 years.

Load of crap ,

They are gunna jump on facebook and publicly state the police are colluding with petrol station attendants to extort money by having them plant drugs in customers cars?.

Be a shame if the Police take offense to that and decide to chuck them in the pokey for 10 years.

I don't think corrupt cops would be tracking down anyone one online

Might make someone higher up the food chain take notice

Aussiesteve63: I get the defamation lawsuit risk , but for us living in Phrae , you could give a little more information. Was it a typical Thai brand gas station , or one of the foreign brands ? Was it on the highways or in town or N ( Rong Kwang) or S ( Denchai).... Or just PM me !

Phrae has a lot of gas stations, and they are building more....do they ever do market research ?

A lot of them don't have much customers , although Phrae is the last stop before the price goes even more up , going to Nan or Phayao . A scheme like this , however unlikely , could help some stations to stay in the black numbers.

Aussiesteve63: I get the defamation lawsuit risk , but for us living in Phrae , you could give a little more information. Was it a typical Thai brand gas station , or one of the foreign brands ? Was it on the highways or in town or N ( Rong Kwang) or S ( Denchai).... Or just PM me !

Phrae has a lot of gas stations, and they are building more....do they ever do market research ?

A lot of them don't have much customers , although Phrae is the last stop before the price goes even more up , going to Nan or Phayao . A scheme like this , however unlikely , could help some stations to stay in the black numbers.

Will try to find out more for you,just trying to track down the cousins friend

Archived