Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Tywais

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't there use to be a monitoring station at Phuping Palace? Can't find it on aqmthai.

Yes, but it was a mobile station parked there that apparently had either been removed or no longer reports publicly. My best recollection is that there were (maybe still are) two such vehicles in the province which might be used for special internal purposes. The last concerted reporting I can recall was in in 2007-2008.

Don't be fooled by the PM10 AQI of just 101 right now,

Doi suthep is completely gone from view and the PM2.5 AQI is 182!!

Where are you finding PM2.5 data? All I can find is PM10. All I have to go by is my experience with Singapore's smoky season, but I can tell by sight alone that the AQI is much higher than 101. I live very close to Doi Suthep by the convention center, and can barely see its silhouette from my balcony!

Where are you finding PM2.5 data? All I can find is PM10. All I have to go by is my experience with Singapore's smoky season, but I can tell by sight alone that the AQI is much higher than 101. I live very close to Doi Suthep by the convention center, and can barely see its silhouette from my balcony!

PM2.5 concentration data is available for station 35t or 36t (Chiangmai).

Generally, Singapore haze would look worse than the haze in CM at the same concentration, due to significantly higher relative humidity levels.

The RH vauses the smoke particles to expand or something like that, bringing a further loss in visibility. Was reported in the SG newspapers.

Didn't there use to be a monitoring station at Phuping Palace? Can't find it on aqmthai.

There used to be four stations in Chiangmai, including Phuping palace, now there's only two. They are shown as Chang Phueak and Si Phum in the Air4Thai iOS app. One of then is Yupparaj Wittayalai School shown on the

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangmai/yupparaj-wittayalai-school/ web page but I don't know which. Both Air4Thai sites are in the "Unhealthy" zone right now :-{

Wow...station 24t Saraburi got a max of 554 m3/hr 1hr PM10 peak on 9th 2100h. Over these 3.5 days, the averaged PM10 concentration was 207 ug/m3. The PM2.5 is usually much higher.

That is gonna be painful, and it's not even mid Feb.

Don't worry, it will all clear up next week as burning is banned after Feb 16th.

Surely the Thai authorities wont allow blatant illegal activities once the ban comes into effect.

You're new here aren't you!

What's happening right now is simply a warm up for the main event, it's just practice, perfecting the technique as it were.

Generally, Singapore haze would look worse than the haze in CM at the same concentration, due to significantly higher relative humidity levels.

The RH vauses the smoke particles to expand or something like that, bringing a further loss in visibility. Was reported in the SG newspapers.

What specific url (or more) are you using to get PM<2.5 data for Chiang Mai? Some previous AQI data seems unavailable now.

Ah, I see now. Had to get out the laptop to work it correctly, the site doesn't play nice with mobile. Also important to note, PM2.5 data is ONLY available for the Sri Phum station. The Chang Phueak station doesn't provide that option.

Localised burning not helping, stinks outside and ash falling like confettii.

Have the committees had any success yet?

Here is an exclusive picture of the committee monitoring the situation and identifying the wrongdoers - I hear there is a bit of a problem as only one single red band is to see on the screen all spots melted to one. But they are working on this hard latest for the coming season they think they find a solution.post-183415-14552682018051_thumb.jpg

The people who are griping about having miscalculated and planned on leaving Chiang Mai in the near future, I have a suggestion: Pony up the money and change your ticket. Fly out tomorrow.

This happens every year. If you are not in robust enough health to live with the annual haze (but can motorbike and walk every day in and along the streets full of exhaust-spewing traffic), then by all means move to some other place. You were leaving anyway; just pay the ticket-changing fee and go now.

Living in Chiang Mai is not for sissies.

The people who are griping about having miscalculated and planned on leaving Chiang Mai in the near future, I have a suggestion: Pony up the money and change your ticket. Fly out tomorrow.

This happens every year. If you are not in robust enough health to live with the annual haze (but can motorbike and walk every day in and along the streets full of exhaust-spewing traffic), then by all means move to some other place. You were leaving anyway; just pay the ticket-changing fee and go now.

A bit harsh but a small element of truth in there. The poor air quality in burning season is dangerous for asthmatics and people with heart problems, many people underestimate the potency of the poor quality air and then have to change plans later as a result, often a hard thing to do when you're settled into retirement. So perhaps a little bit of sympathy wouldn't go amiss for those who find they really do have to change their life plans at a late stage.

Smoking is usually a way to ensure that one doesn't remain in robust health, irrespective of whether they are a sissy.

Smoke haze over Chiang Mai airport covered by Thai TV this PM.

What might bring this issue to a head is if flights can't land and are diverted or cancelled.

Not sure the Chinese would be impressed.

And Trujillo are you including school children in your "sissies" category? they dont have a choice.

Many suffer breathing problems and can't attend school. Schools were forced to close in past years.

If I was a parent of a child I would be deeply concerned about the long term health issue

Trujillo is spot on with this "but can motorbike and walk every day in and along the streets full of exhaust-spewing traffic"

Cr@ppy air is year round in the city.

Coming to a location near you, soon.

Plenty of exhaust spewing dump trucks carrying soil on our roads, for the last few years sad.png They drive through the local villages as fast as possible, belching great clouds of exhaust. Unbelievable how the people affected don't riot. TiT, Mai pen rai.....

I posted before with half a tongue in my cheek.

First, remember what we are talking about: smoke from slash and burn. No one is burning used polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles or old tires; it's organic material.

Of course, elderly folks (some of them) can be affected by the added pollution from smoke. However, unless they came to Chiang Mai by throwing a dart at a map, they should know very well what the seasonal weather factors are.

I have met many people who complain about the haze, but have never met a single person who said this was a tangible health problem for them. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I think if you did a study, you'd find that most are mentally sick of the haze, but very, very few actually suffer significant physical problems stemming from it.

"School children?" I assume you are being hyperbolic. There are thousands of children in schools in Chiang Mai; I think if they were dropping like (young) flies, we'd know about that. Normal school kids have the most resilience of anyone.

First, remember what we are talking about: smoke from slash and burn. No one is burning used polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles or old tires; it's organic material.

Of course, elderly folks (some of them) can be affected by the added pollution from smoke. However, unless they came to Chiang Mai by throwing a dart at a map, they should know very well what the seasonal weather factors are.

I have met many people who complain about the haze, but have never met a single person who said this was a tangible health problem for them. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I think if you did a study, you'd find that most are mentally sick of the haze, but very, very few actually suffer significant physical problems stemming from it.

"School children?" I assume you are being hyperbolic. There are thousands of children in schools in Chiang Mai; I think if they were dropping like (young) flies, we'd know about that. Normal school kids have the most resilience of anyone.

Just because you don't know any sick people in Chiang Mai doesn't mean they don't exist:

"public health statistics show that the ratio of lung cancer patients to overall population in Chiang Mai is four times higher than elsewhere in Thailand".

"A second study focuses on the well-established correlation between air pollution and respiratory illness. Medical researchers gathered data in January-April 2008 from a set of 12,000 residents of Chiang Mai and Lamphun provinces in order to record illnesses related to the respiratory system, heart, skin, and eyes. They found that over a six-day period, every additional microgram per cubic meter of PM10 inhaled increases the chance of respiratory, cardiovascular, or eye-related illness by 0.04 to 0.21 percent. Thus when PM10 levels reach 200 points -- a common occurrence in Chiang Mai during the burning season - the chance of catching one of these illnesses ranges from 8 to 42%".

https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09CHIANGMAI38_a.html

"Due to constant exposure to seasonal smog, residents in Chiang Mai face twice the risk of lung cancer as people elsewhere, a Chiang Mai University medical lecturer said yesterday.

The annual risk rate for lung cancer among the population in the North is now 40 per 100,000 people - compared to 20 per 100,000 people in other regions, said Assoc Professor Phongthep Wiwatthanadej.

Up to 600 Chiang Mai residents will face lung cancer risk each year, out of a total population of 1.7 million people living in this northern province".

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?27108-Smog-doubles-Chiang-Mai-lung-cancer-threat

Just because you don't know any sick people in Chiang Mai doesn't mean they don't exist:

Jesus, did you even read what I wrote?

I would not put much stock in what any "associate professor" or "medical lecturer" from Thailand says.

They found that over a six-day period, every additional microgram per cubic meter of PM10 inhaled increases the chance of respiratory, cardiovascular, or eye-related illness by 0.04 to 0.21 percent. Thus when PM10 levels reach 200 points -- a common occurrence in Chiang Mai during the burning season - the chance of catching one of these illnesses ranges from 8 to 42%".

Oh boy...There is so much wrong with this statistically and methodologically that it's not even worth considering.

"School children?" I assume you are being hyperbolic. There are thousands of children in schools in Chiang Mai; I think if they were dropping like (young) flies, we'd know about that. Normal school kids have the most resilience of anyone. [/

Except from Putin in a public statement I never saw something more in unrealistic denial than your statement. Enough said.

Jesus, did you even read what I wrote?

I would not put much stock in what any "associate professor" or "medical lecturer" from Thailand says.

They found that over a six-day period, every additional microgram per cubic meter of PM10 inhaled increases the chance of respiratory, cardiovascular, or eye-related illness by 0.04 to 0.21 percent. Thus when PM10 levels reach 200 points -- a common occurrence in Chiang Mai during the burning season - the chance of catching one of these illnesses ranges from 8 to 42%".

Oh boy...There is so much wrong with this statistically and methodologically that it's not even worth considering.

Oh boy...there's so much wrong with your denial that it's not even worth considering.

Archived