Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Tywais

On to another highlight of the local ( and predicably annual) municipal public relations season --- check Chiang Mai News, or Life? or whatever) of the "send-us-a-news-release-and-we'll-print-it" local news media" --- what do you think of the Right Honorable His Nibs Mayor sticking his thing up the tailpipe of various songtaew? Naughty man!!

He stuck his what where! Puts images into my mind I prefer weren't there.

Presumably (and hopefully only) checking exhaust levels, at least he can send copies of the picture to BKK to confirm to the powers that be that he's actually doing his bit for CM citizens and mankind.

As you say, PR.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very clear thoughts put in words most of it I can sign except :

Of course household burning is the most hazardous but I can follow their thoughts as well they know where it will end up anyway. As everywhere in Asia waste-to-Energy Or similar technologies are not in place most of the household waste will be burned in uncontrolled burning sites anyway the rest they dig in on dumpsites only a fraction will be recycled. So why not burn it directly? It's a disgusting thought but except some trial facilities there is no other solution than above. Massive investments which generate employment and return of investment is needed fast and now. Do you know exactly where your household waste ends up? I do and I don't feel good about it so I do my best on a personal level to reduce my impact. And here we are besides rising the topic again and again and sharpen awareness that's exactly what everybody can do on a daily bases reduce and avoid at your home.

I didn't want to think too much about waste disposal at the local or government level because I I know that what you wrote is correct and true. But I also thought it better to think about what it is that needs attention and why rather than the how. And actually there's probably not a lot of mileage in considering high temperature incinerators for power unless we can be assured there's a method of collection to supply the incinerators, one that the people will use. Another aspect of course is that any time we start to think about large capital expense the issue of corruption arises hence the focus shifts away from results to bank account balances and vested interests. For those reasons I suspect it's better to focus on solutions that don't involve large expense as they probably have a better chance of being successful.

Very clear thoughts put in words most of it I can sign except :

Of course household burning is the most hazardous but I can follow their thoughts as well they know where it will end up anyway. As everywhere in Asia waste-to-Energy Or similar technologies are not in place most of the household waste will be burned in uncontrolled burning sites anyway the rest they dig in on dumpsites only a fraction will be recycled. So why not burn it directly? It's a disgusting thought but except some trial facilities there is no other solution than above. Massive investments which generate employment and return of investment is needed fast and now. Do you know exactly where your household waste ends up? I do and I don't feel good about it so I do my best on a personal level to reduce my impact. And here we are besides rising the topic again and again and sharpen awareness that's exactly what everybody can do on a daily bases reduce and avoid at your home.

I didn't want to think too much about waste disposal at the local or government level because I I know that what you wrote is correct and true. But I also thought it better to think about what it is that needs attention and why rather than the how. And actually there's probably not a lot of mileage in considering high temperature incinerators for power unless we can be assured there's a method of collection to supply the incinerators, one that the people will use. Another aspect of course is that any time we start to think about large capital expense the issue of corruption arises hence the focus shifts away from results to bank account balances and vested interests. For those reasons I suspect it's better to focus on solutions that don't involve large expense as they probably have a better chance of being successful.

I am not so sensible about corruption- it's bad as of our standards- but if this is the way to get things done - all infrastructure projects are built on this- than let it be done with corruption. I don't care about money and the flows. If this would have the site effect to breath air free of dioxins and toxins. Worldwide it's a huge business so I can not understand why they don't put their fingers in this honey pot normally they are all over money making machines.

It seems as though pollution readings are typically lower, later in the day, after the sun has had a chance to warm the cooler air and allow the trapped warmer air to rise - early morning seems to see higher pollution readings than early afternoon, a feature of the inversion layer perhaps. A point to keep in mind when considering when to exercise.

It seems as though pollution readings are typically lower, later in the day, after the sun has had a chance to warm the cooler air and allow the trapped warmer air to rise - early morning seems to see higher pollution readings than early afternoon, a feature of the inversion layer perhaps. A point to keep in mind when considering when to exercise.

From what we saw up in Mae Taeng, the locals would burn at night up in the mountains lighting tens of kilometers of trails on fire in the evening. The fires would burn all night with the smoke descending into the valleys with the cooler night air flowing down the mountain sides. Mornings were always the worst.

Any news on this self updating fire map?

I removed it in the OP as it hasn't updated since December 25th and not sure if it will come back live. In the meantime you can look here - https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/firemap/

The firemap is operational again and can be seen just after the OP as I re-enabled that post.

Just had a look to the fire map the governments restrictions not only put out all fires in Thailand but in whole Asia - what a success story

Any news on this self updating fire map?

I removed it in the OP as it hasn't updated since December 25th and not sure if it will come back live. In the meantime you can look here - https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/firemap/

The firemap is operational again and can be seen just after the OP as I re-enabled that post.

Just had a look to the fire map the governments restrictions not only put out all fires in Thailand but in whole Asia - what a success story

Yea, saw that too and removed my image - again. facepalm.gif

I don't know about chiang mai, but here in Phayao while clouds of smoke just started coming down on us like flood. For now it seems this government bad on burning is doing f... all!!!! I also caught some infection and my cough have been brutal. Come to think about it, it is only the beginning of this whole thing. Experts are also saying that this year rainy season will be late, around 2 months late.

Excellent addition that is easy to access and read. Question! Where is the air being sampled? Perhaps interesting since a device located in the windy corridor of the Mae Ping River, where the consulate is located, might actually read lower than general area pollution due to significant local wind conditions .

Excellent addition that is easy to access and read. Question! Where is the air being sampled? Perhaps interesting since a device located in the windy corridor of the Mae Ping River, where the consulate is located, might actually read lower than general area pollution due to significant local wind conditions .

If you click on the Red AQI report it will pop up the information on the right side.

https://www.facebook.com/chiangmai.usconsulate/photos/pcb.10156569211480274/10156569210425274/?type=3&theater

Post with link to Bangkok Post removed.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Past few days were quite quiet. I think N Thailand has got pretty decent air.

It sort of flared up in the past 24hrs or so. Central Thailand.

Station 24t Saraburi showing some moderate smoke.

BTW, station 24t has got PM2.5 data now!! laugh.png

Map is from Global Forest Watch Fires :

The ones that you ought to be concerned with are the red ones, which are High Confidence Fires.

7KEqawj.jpg

Note, the aqicn.org website showing AQI 153 is a 1hr direct conversion from PM10 values from aqmthai. It should not carry any health advisories, which are based on 24-hr mean values (moving average).

However, I have posted the equivalent 8-hr and 1-hr values for Unhealthy, Very Unhealthy and Hazardous breakpoints. You can check it out.

And they have PM2.5 values also as well, so actually you can just go to airnow.gov to convert into 1-hr AQI yourself anyway.

http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=resources.conc_aqi_calc

Folks understand an Index value far better, like PSI or AQI......than pure/raw concentration data in ug/m3, be it PM2.5 or PM10.

xEJxCYx.jpg

blssL9w.jpg

CM was nice and clear when i left for my holiday by the sea.

Weather deteriorated as I moved south and saw a little burning.

Still Can't expect more rain and wind in CM

Can We ?

john

It has rained here overnight significantly, twice in the past week, really odd so who knows.

Having said that, the sky has just darkened, the wind has picked up and Mrs CM agrees it looks like rain.

The combination of rain, wind, and cool weather, I believe, have led to better air quality up to now. Wife says the heat is going to ramp up, so I'm expecting the burning to do the same. Our backyard neighbor burns every evening to, "keep the mosquito off his chickens". We seal off the back of the house and run A/C up front to filter out the smoke. I can only imagine the amount of particulate his family inhales every year. We're at least far enough away as to not get the full brunt of the smoke. Wife just said she's going to have a talk with him tomorrow. Lol. Strong Thai women - and Post Menopausal to boot: Such a rare breed. "Pee" don't take no s**t.

The question right now is:

Have the authorities managed to control the situation for Chiangmai, or will the smog return later this month?

Does anyone really know?

No, Yes.

No.

The 'authorities' simply add to the 'hot air'. There is no will to change the status quo whether it be the annual forest and field burn-offs or insane Thai driving. Some things are just institutionalized and have become, by default, "The Thai Way.".

Remember: It's The Thai Way or the Highway! We're just guests Mr. Smith. Lmao! whistling.gif

FWIW I live in rural Mae Rim and everyone around here seems very very aware of 16th February being the last legal burning date and nobody has dared burn since, I think attitudes are slowly changing.

FWIW I live in rural Mae Rim and everyone around here seems very very aware of 16th February being the last legal burning date and nobody has dared burn since, I think attitudes are slowly changing.

Must be regional attitude adjustment. In our valley in Lamphun province, the locals obviously haven't heard about the government edict based on our casual observation of the number of fires burning throughout the village and regional forest. Actually, they know, but everyone is just playing dumb.

Archived