BANGKOK 20 April 2019 14:11

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Just flew in yesterday. On the plane about 5 minutes before landing in daylight a large agricultural burn could be seen.

Huge smoke, open flames.

One would figure the Army would go arrest the burners.

41 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

Where and when isn't a mystery. Had they wanted to do something about it, burning would significantly drop in matter of days.

There is also denial among many people I think. I was told by my previous landlord: "our neighbours, the burmese, they do the burning". Well. She is a highly educated woman, close to 60, who lived and studied in the US, and owns a good number of properties in Thailand. I guess she should know the facts.

7 hours ago, LolaS said:

everyone is blaming Burma. How realistic is that claim?

Just check the pollution maps. Its from within the country: Lampang, Tak, Nakom Sawan and Saraburi as main sources. Smog from Myanmar has to get over the mountain ranges first.

I heard the same excuses tody, its those pesky Burmese. The burning maps show this is wrong.

Today (13 February 2018) all the online information from the air quality sensors in Thailand have stopped. No more updates. 

The official No Burning season is supposed to start on Feb 20........but I've also heard March 1. Burners are hurrying to get the job done before then.....or so the story goes. Lookiing forward  to Feb20 to see if anything changes. Any optimists out there in Chiangmailand?

4 minutes ago, Ned said:

The official No Burning season is supposed to start on Feb 20........but I've also heard March 1. Burners are hurrying to get the job done before then.....or so the story goes. Lookiing forward  to Feb20 to see if anything changes. Any optimists out there in Chiangmailand?

I'm certainly optimistic....but also realistic.  Hopefully things will improve, if even a little bit.

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I'm certainly optimistic....but also realistic.  Hopefully things will improve, if even a little bit.

They haven't even started on the forests yet :)

Just flew in yesterday. On the plane about 5 minutes before landing in daylight a large agricultural burn could be seen.
Huge smoke, open flames.

If you look on the west side of Route 107, often enough, you see the boys in green doing large burnoffs annually. No doubt this year will be in the tradition.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, Bangkok is worse than Chiang Mai currently.

And Chiang Mai air will improve considerably (averages out of the red) by mid-April, about 2 months from now.

In between that time there will be some bad spells, some okay-ish spells, and some VERY bad spells.

18 hours ago, Ned said:

I think you mean burning ban?  It starts 1 March this year. 

And a burning ban does look like it has positive effects. They've only had it for the last two years though, and all kinds of things have an impact so it's hard to say for sure.  (Correlation does not imply causation) 

Though the Unhealthy bar has been raised (again) most schools have "indoors sport day" on days like these.... I was watching the Thai news the other day .... Chiang Mai was worse than Bangkok except for Din Daeng roadside BUT Chiang Mai was not mentioned. Many expats that have been here a while know of news blackouts for one event or another and the message "someone" might be trying to get across to Joe Public.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Just wait for the rains and then declare a burning ban.

Success guaranteed.

^  Burning ban starts March 1st. 

Daily AQI averages are out of the red by mid April.

Regularly scheduled rain begins in May or so.