BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Though the numbers are bit lower, the Chiang Rai air has still been in the orange zone (unhealthy for sensitive groups) same as Chiang Mai. I doubt these burning bans are all they are cracked up to be. Does anyone have a link to any of those satellite images that show the fires across Thailand? Then we can glimpse how the ban is working or not.

2 hours ago, canopy said:

Though the numbers are bit lower, the Chiang Rai air has still been in the orange zone (unhealthy for sensitive groups) same as Chiang Mai. I doubt these burning bans are all they are cracked up to be. Does anyone have a link to any of those satellite images that show the fires across Thailand? Then we can glimpse how the ban is working or not.

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#z:6.0;c:104.153,16.577

Lot of  burning going on in Tak and Lampang. Chiang Rai is almost spotless, so is getting smog from other provinces.

3 hours ago, canopy said:

Though the numbers are bit lower, the Chiang Rai air has still been in the orange zone (unhealthy for sensitive groups) same as Chiang Mai. 

Every time I check Chiang Mai figures I also look at other locations in Thailand. Chiang Rai has been mostly below AQI 50 during the last months. Perhaps it will change on March / April, but for now it is very different.

Now for example, it is at 51 while Chiang Mai is at 157. This is quite a BIT lower.

Chiang Rai has been good so far in February..  Typically in March though it's a lot worse; let's see what happens.

BTW, checking on other locations in Thailand is often tricky because some stations have a PM2.5 capability and others don't; the ones that do measure PM2.5 will then all look a lot worse.   

A map that seems to avoid this is the Berkely Earth map: Berkely Earth Pollution Map

20 hours ago, XGM said:

Chiang Rai has been mostly below AQI 50 during the last months.

Not true. The AQI in Chiang Rai has typically been in unhealthy ranges for the last 4 months. According to aqicn.org the AQI is currently over 120 which is unhealthy even by Thai standards. All you have to do is look outside and the haze is obvious to the most casual observer. You can't even see a sunrise or sunset. So where are you getting your information?

Chiang Rai has been good so far in February.

According to international health standards it is not good. Why do you feel it is good?

8 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Chiang Rai has been good so far in February..

According to Canopy Chiang Rai is very bad. What are we missing then?

51 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

You should be looking at pm2.5 measurements and not pm10.

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangrai---gaia-station-03/

Ditto for Mae Sai which shows healthy levels of the 10 pm: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangrai/maesai-health-office/

Extrapolating from the 2.5 pm figures of other cities, the 2.5 figures should show an unhealthy or orange flag there. In other words, in as much as I like this website, it paints a crooked image of what is really happening. I wish it had a filter (pm 10 and pm 2.5). Should I suggest it?

2 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Ditto for Mae Sai which shows healthy levels of the 10 pm: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangrai/maesai-health-office/

Extrapolating from the 2.5 pm figures of other cities, the 2.5 figures should show an unhealthy or orange flag there. In other words, in as much as I like this website, it paints a crooked image of what is really happening. I wish it had a filter (pm 10 and pm 2.5). Should I suggest it?

Yes.   Either a filter, or do a calculated PM2.5 based on the PM10 value, using the PM2.5 : PM10 ratio of nearby stations that measure both.  And then just indicate that it's a derived value.

I can only think of one reason Thailand is dragging its feet this many years and still not installing equipment that measures PM 2.5. It's because it will reveal the truth of how bad the air actually is. So for those who want the real story on air quality, here it is from aqicn.org:

cra.jpg.0d160e60ef2db61502f748eea4436d6c.jpg

17 hours ago, CheGuava said:

Chiang Rai is remarkably good this year, so far

The air in Chiang Rai for the past 4 months has been worse than international standards, often twice as bad or more. It is likely to remain like this or worse for months to come. And if this is a dry year like authorities predict, we can expect times of unhealthy air even during the rainy season. It is surprising to hear someone describe the situation as remarkably good despite the sunset or sunrise both being completely blotted out by pollution. A  lot of people are suffering and as we know the worst is yet to come.

4 hours ago, canopy said:

The air in Chiang Rai for the past 4 months has been worse than international standards, often twice as bad or more. It is likely to remain like this or worse for months to come. And if this is a dry year like authorities predict, we can expect times of unhealthy air even during the rainy season. It is surprising to hear someone describe the situation as remarkably good despite the sunset or sunrise both being completely blotted out by pollution. A  lot of people are suffering and as we know the worst is yet to come.

Sorry; I meant, compared to previous years, or compared to Chiang Mai.   Not compared to Northern Europe. 

I just checked on previous years and it turns out that I wasn't correct; also in previous years the Chiang Rai air quality was about the same as this year for January and February. The main scorcher comes in March usually.  (I did find that Mae Hong Son was better than previous years although it looks like they moved their measuring station so not sure if that's a valid comparison.)

So yes it will get a LOT worse the coming weeks.  

5 hours ago, canopy said:

I can only think of one reason Thailand is dragging its feet this many years and still not installing equipment that measures PM 2.5. It's because it will reveal the truth of how bad the air actually is. So for those who want the real story on air quality, here it is from aqicn.org:

cra.jpg.0d160e60ef2db61502f748eea4436d6c.jpg

I don't think that's true, or fair.  Thailand has measured PM2.5 for many areas including Chiang Mai since 2012 and the records are publicly available.  And Aqicn.org happily makes use of that same data.

They are still in the process of upgrading measuring stations as well as adding new ones, but keep in mind that this isn't a 2000 Baht Lazada-special we're talking about.  It's stations like these, which cost money: 

Capture.JPG.22794a907df9196bd2a17a525a3532e3.JPG

Capture2.JPG.7b5c81cf22bd8e7f0b4542bc2d2b1347.JPG

Capture3.JPG.4df57181c0a75582b4bb6a7c31cbc606.JPG

(I guess it's a matter of opinion too though of course.. for the price of one submarine they could probably have those stations just about everywhere. :) )  

No chance. You have to understand Thai's are perfectly content burning things. They enjoy it. You could give them 100 "better" solutions. You could show them this video. They would nod their head, then turn around and light another fire. You could tell them about all the people in the hospital with respiratory problems. Again, they'd nod, turn around and light another fire. Change will only come by force. And here there is no will power.