Nana.... A terrible place to live

theguyfromanotherforum

I went to see Star Wars last night (crap) and decided to use my points and stay in holiday Inn Express near Nana just for one night.

First of all it's not the "scene" that bothers me, just the amount of dodginess. For example living on ramkhamheang I never even once experienced a taxi driver that won't take me to a destination, let alone not turning on the meter. Today while waiting for a bus to get back home I saw a bunch of Thai ladies flagging a cab and getting flat out refused by I'd say 80% of the drivers. If you are an Indian customer it's much worse. You'd have to negotiate the price.

Another thing is that Thais are a lot more rude. I mean I live 15 kilometers away from Nana and interactions are a lot more pleasant. Maybe around that area Thai people are tired of interacting with tourists, but it's not like I live in another village. It's still the same city.

Also if you live "downtown" you will always be a tourist. I don't feel pleasant walking down the street being asked all the time where I go, need tuktuk or go see lady. Again, this never happens where I live.

Yuck!

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you "nailed" it.

those are the reasons I don't live in tourist areas.... I much rather put up with other inconveniences, and be treated like a human being.

When we start missing the crowded, arm tugging, camera clicking mobs of tourist...we jump in the car or take a short plane trip down to the masses. Believe me, it only takes an hour or two of places like that, to start counting our blessings.

"Today while waiting for a bus to get back home I saw a bunch of Thai ladies flagging a cab and getting flat out refused by I'd say 80% of the drivers".

That 80% figure is meaningless without knowing how many taxis were involved.

"If you are an Indian customer it's much worse. You'd have to negotiate the price."

Says who? Did you witness the much worse situation of Indians having to negotiate the price? Why is it much worse for Indians to have to negotiate than Thai girls?

After 3 months in BKK (On Nut, not even the sex district) I realized that I could never live in that concrete jungle.

Next I gave Bang Saen a try for 2 months, but thought it was not much different from BKK - yet friends from Pataya kept telling us how wonderful Bang Saen was, it's beach and relaxed atmosphere.

I was ready to go back home.

Then my wife talked me into going to her home village in Chanthaburi.

Jungle, fruit trees, poor internet, no Farangs, actually few Thais too, mountain view, 20 km to the next restaurant, market at 7 km.

And I lived happily ever after!

Well if you live there you wouldn't need a taxi to get home, you could walk home after a night out, and to go out somewhere else during the day well you have the BTS / MRT interchange so it's the most convenient part of the city. Unless you count the Siam interchange as better.

And if you just walk onto Suk the taxis are a bit better, agree Soi 4 is terrible for taxis.

Living around Asok rather than Nana would be slightly better as you have Terminal 21 mall, the huge Benjakiti Park, lots more high end restaurants, 24 hour Tony's gym, etc.

Well bucking the trend , I actually enjoy an afternoon there from time to time.

Hope you guys let me leave next time I go there.

I nip along every once in a while to remind myself how much better areas are around.

It's fun for a couple of hours.

Well bucking the trend , I actually enjoy an afternoon there from time to time.

Hope you guys let me leave next time I go there.

I nip along every once in a while to remind myself how much better areas are around.

It's fun for a couple of hours.

Must agree actually , Cowboy is pretty good , lol

After 3 months in BKK (On Nut, not even the sex district) I realized that I could never live in that concrete jungle.

Next I gave Bang Saen a try for 2 months, but thought it was not much different from BKK - yet friends from Pataya kept telling us how wonderful Bang Saen was, it's beach and relaxed atmosphere.

I was ready to go back home.

Then my wife talked me into going to her home village in Chanthaburi.

Jungle, fruit trees, poor internet, no Farangs, actually few Thais too, mountain view, 20 km to the next restaurant, market at 7 km.

And I lived happily ever after!

On Nut is a bit of a dump too. Nothing to see there but herds of cheap farang pensioners grazing their way through the Tesco food court.

Archived