Nana.... A terrible place to live

theguyfromanotherforum

The only reason people go to Nana is to be a tourist, beer, shagging.

Not all people there are bad

There's good & bad everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a tourist, I don't drink alcohol, I don't shag other woman, only my wife.

I always stay in the Nana or Asok area every time I go to Bangkok, mainly because of the location. good for transport, restaurants and buying Farang food etc.

Your last sentence is spot on.

..perhaps wifey is reading this thread, along with you?

No, she is very poor at reading English, and could not even speak it when we first met.

One of her best friends, a Thai girl, spoke English well, and we had to communicate a lot through her.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic posts removed.

This is NOT an investigation into the private life of the OP. Nor should he feel the need to justify himself to anyone.

Debate/discuss the subject of the topic NOT the poster.

Excuse me Mr. Mod, but isn't he doing essentially the same by his criticisms of those who choose to live or hang around the Nana area?

I don't think the OP was criticising people for going to Nana, he was only saying how he seen it.

After having been in and out of Thailand for 50 years I really don't see any problem with anyone who wants to go to Nana or Cowboy or anywhere else. I would suggest that once people get familiar with anyone they are more than friendly. I hardly go to these places anymore not because I do not like them but because I believe they have become expensive.Since I live here and on a limited income, I can't blow it all in a week and go earn some more. I try and go to more Thai oriented places for drinks as I enjoy conversation .Many of the Thais that deal with drunken farangs are very patient until the patron becomes abusive or tries and stiff them on the bill. Try that in the red light districts of America, Europe or Australia and you would find out just how quick you would get thrown out the door.

Off topic posts removed.

This is NOT an investigation into the private life of the OP. Nor should he feel the need to justify himself to anyone.

Debate/discuss the subject of the topic NOT the poster.

Excuse me Mr. Mod, but isn't he doing essentially the same by his criticisms of those who choose to live or hang around the Nana area?

I never criticized anyone who lives there. Please, do not exaggerate,

I am extending my opinion about the location I find somewhat dodgy.

My first example were taxis because I really thought people were exaggerating (I see many taxi complaints on this forum) until I stayed at Nana.

Perhaps your intent was not to criticize, however, when one makes blanket statements about an "area", it more often than not includes the people living, working, etc. there. I'll grant you Nana is quite different than other places, which is exactly why I as well as many love it. If I wanted to be in an area where the variety of life was more subdued, then i would do that instead of paying many times over just to be here. I'll take the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that comes with Nana over the monotony of other places. The difference is that when I do venture into areas such as where you live, I never ever post anything negative about what a terrible place it is to live. Our differences are what makes life in general much more exciting and interesting!

After 3 months in BKK (On Nut, not even the sex district) I realized that I could never live in that concrete jungle.

Next I gave Bang Saen a try for 2 months, but thought it was not much different from BKK - yet friends from Pataya kept telling us how wonderful Bang Saen was, it's beach and relaxed atmosphere.

I was ready to go back home.

Then my wife talked me into going to her home village in Chanthaburi.

Jungle, fruit trees, poor internet, no Farangs, actually few Thais too, mountain view, 20 km to the next restaurant, market at 7 km.

And I lived happily ever after!

It beats me why you have to tell everybody??

Softly, quietly, please.

You are right.

Sorry.

I would not be caught dead in Nana nor any tourist trap for the various reasons you mentioned. Yea they are sick of tourists and foreigners and i can understand why. Can,t say i am a big fan of most of them either. Since many foreigners that visit and even live here have zero common sense they are dead meat when having to deal with any interactions with the Thais. Why was Star Wars crap ? And did Han Solo really get killed off?

Nothing against you but i love those two words. NO FARANGS! Don,t worry i won,t even ask were you live. I understand.

After 3 months in BKK (On Nut, not even the sex district) I realized that I could never live in that concrete jungle.

Next I gave Bang Saen a try for 2 months, but thought it was not much different from BKK - yet friends from Pataya kept telling us how wonderful Bang Saen was, it's beach and relaxed atmosphere.

Jungle, fruit trees, poor internet, no Farangs, actually few Thais too, mountain view, 20 km to the next restaurant, market at 7 km.

It beats me why you have to tell everybody??

Softly, quietly, please.

You are right.

Sorry.

BKK is an amazing city, there is so much to explore.

The nightlife and restaurants and shopping offer so many options, if you don't like that area - don't go.

You could spend years and years in BKK and not even explaore 1% of the city it's so vast.

For me a couple days at a time is enough, but while i'm there i love it.

Years ago I used to work out of Pacific Place 1 and 2 and go along Soi Nana to eat at Chequers or the Swiss place just before it. I used to play in a Thai darts team out of Washington Square and we played in a few places in and around Nana. I haven't been there for 2 or 3 years but I used to go to the Bus Stop for lunch as I really enjoyed their fish and chips. I don't even know if it is still there and open anymore.

Well bucking the trend , I actually enjoy an afternoon there from time to time.

Hope you guys let me leave next time I go there.

Is it like hitting your head against a brick wall, it feels so good when you stop?

Well bucking the trend , I actually enjoy an afternoon there from time to time.

Hope you guys let me leave next time I go there.

Is it like hitting your head against a brick wall, it feels so good when you stop?
Nope , just enjoy the place now and again , that if its ok by you ?

But I also enjoy an afternoon Tea in some of the finer hotels , that is if again thats ok by you ?

As a good friend has said to me many many times .....

What you think about me is your concern not mine , im just enjoying my time here , you ?

On Nut is a bit of a dump too. Nothing to see there but herds of cheap farang pensioners grazing their way through the Tesco food court.

Putting yourself above Nana clientel is understandable if you are not a whore-monger, but being superior to folk having a bite to eat at a food court just marks you as a shallow and obnoxious snob.

I rather enjoy the locale. If you have a hankering for a bite of Western style food you can find most any type within a few blocks. The touts and junk watch sellers can mostly be discouraged with a slight shake of the head and a smile. There are a couple of places that, in the afternoon at least, seem to run more to cold beer and billiards or darts than any of the shadier pursuits. I have had a couple of pleasant chats with some of the working girls, but that is about that as I am one of those dysfunctional types these days... 12 prescription medications can be a let down, if you will.
As someone else observed it is what you make of it. As an inveterate people watcher I have rarely seen a better vantage point.

I'm sure the OP will respond, but what defines 'NANA' ?

Technically, it's just Sukhumvit Soi 4, but maybe he means an area larger then that.

Soi Cowboy is easy to define, less so NANA?

For example, I stayed in a Hotel in Soi 13 last night - is that NANA?

Drinking beer on Sukhumvit Rd chatting to the owner of one of those temporary beer bars that pop up after Midnight (all along Lower Suk, I was near Soi 7 or 9, it was late), is that also NANA?

Maybe BTS NANA down to Soi 4, or extend to the Railway line ?

Just sort of curious on what defines NANA to most people.

Yep. It's a hole. Best avoided.

its the ugly old low life farangs who go there for sex. It is natural the Thais look down on them, and not polite to them.

As opposed to some small village in issaan.

Most normal Thais don't go anywhere near Nana.

Most foreigners are here looking for wives based on responses on TV..just different shades of the same colour.

Nana is a dump, but occasional entertainment with friends..

I also live in Ramkhamhaeng and previously experienced the same problems with those thieving pricks in Nana. I have a P.O. Box in Nana so I have to go there occasionally. I now go on the number 40 yellow bus from Ramkhamhaeng Rd and get off at Soi 2. Then to return I just catch the number 40 in between Soi 3 and Soi 5 and have a pleasant a/c ride home for 14thb. I never have any problems where I live with taxis, I find the drivers pleasant, obliging and helpful. and I reward them accordingly. Different story where tourists hang out.

You don,t have to be Thai to dislike most foreigners visiting or living here. I just find the Thais much more peasant to deal with. The foreigners. How much time do we have?

Quote from Mitkof Island "Nothing against you but i love those two words. NO FARANGS! "

Are you Thai...because you don't seem to like foreigners!

I'm sure the OP will respond, but what defines 'NANA' ?

Technically, it's just Sukhumvit Soi 4, but maybe he means an area larger then that.

Soi Cowboy is easy to define, less so NANA?

For example, I stayed in a Hotel in Soi 13 last night - is that NANA?

Drinking beer on Sukhumvit Rd chatting to the owner of one of those temporary beer bars that pop up after Midnight (all along Lower Suk, I was near Soi 7 or 9, it was late), is that also NANA?

Maybe BTS NANA down to Soi 4, or extend to the Railway line ?

Just sort of curious on what defines NANA to most people.

Soi 4 is also called Nana Tai, so the street name shares the district name.

I think this map is as accurate as any. Many condos on Sukhumvit Soi 13 advertise as being located in Nana, and it shows the Nana district as generally stretching from Soi 13 on one end to Soi 0 (the rail line and highway on/off) on the other. Plus there is a Ploenchit district sign in that general area which I kinda take as the border line.

http://www.bangkok.com/bts/nana.htm

For most people though Nana = Soi 4 and very close by.

SL

Archived