Nana.... A terrible place to live

theguyfromanotherforum

Review needed on budget hotels

Nana hotel seems booked up for May

Must be a big mistake there.

There's a reason why the Nana Hotel is perpetually booked, even though there are cheaper and nicer rooms close by.

It's just 'old school', but left to get old...

Yes, there are lot's of two-week wonders who come for the proximity to NEP, and the bars. But sit in the lobby some morning or late evening, and you will see guys, old guys, who are there every year, for decades. They know each other, and obviously have the means to stay elsewhere. The staff knows them, and it is like home.

Yes, the rooms are old, and if you're new, you will probably get a rundown one. But anyone who has stayed there, and is not totally witless, will ask for a better room, and will get one at check-in. Never has so much as a suggestion that I offer an 'inducement', although when I stayed there, I always took care of staff well.

The same bellmen have been there 20+ years, as have the front desk staff, and even after not staying there for several years, they remember you. I have NEVER had a single item go missing, always got extra towels when requested, etc. How many Thai businesses have such low turnover? People stay there because they get consistent service.

Even the older rooms have huge, comfortable beds and pillows, free newspaper every morning. When I used to vacation there, a club sandwich and a Coke from room service got me through jet-lag often.

These days, I admit I wouldn't stay there, because demand has driven the price beyond the threshold of the nostalgia/value proposition. But, whenever I'm nearby, I do stop and say hello to a particularly kind desk clerk. And she always remembers me...

The place has always been HQ, but I don't expect many of the late comers to get it.

One day, the owners will cash out, and it will be gone, but many will remember, and mourn it.

That's a quite beautiful post in its own way.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago I used to work out of Pacific Place 1 and 2 and go along Soi Nana to eat at Chequers or the Swiss place just before it. I used to play in a Thai darts team out of Washington Square and we played in a few places in and around Nana. I haven't been there for 2 or 3 years but I used to go to the Bus Stop for lunch as I really enjoyed their fish and chips. I don't even know if it is still there and open anymore.

Yes,still there,and i liked the fish and chips and AFL.

Yep. It's a hole. Best avoided.

its the ugly old low life farangs who go there for sex. It is natural the Thais look down on them, and not polite to them.

Thai's couldn't give a toss what happens in the likes of Nana.They don't consider it a part of Thailand,just an area to fleece sheep,good and proper.When the sheep are drunk,abusive 'stupid and show lack of respect is when the problems start.I was in a taxi at 7am one morning coming out the side lane next to Dynasty and these two pissed morons came stumbling along and knocked over 4 huge vats of curry,etc.I feared for their lives until one of them came up with the money.I asked the vendors how much they paid,twice as much and don't have to work that day,5555.

How is Nana not a part of thailand?

To the girls that work there it's very important... Also the meeting place of countless members relationships.

Nana is the Hub of Thailands tourism industry.

its the ugly old low life farangs who go there for sex. It is natural the Thais look down on them, and not polite to them.

Thai's couldn't give a toss what happens in the likes of Nana.They don't consider it a part of Thailand,just an area to fleece sheep,good and proper.When the sheep are drunk,abusive 'stupid and show lack of respect is when the problems start.I was in a taxi at 7am one morning coming out the side lane next to Dynasty and these two pissed morons came stumbling along and knocked over 4 huge vats of curry,etc.I feared for their lives until one of them came up with the money.I asked the vendors how much they paid,twice as much and don't have to work that day,5555.

To the girls that work there it's very important... Also the meeting place of countless members relationships.

they need to put some AIDS awareness info around that area like other countries do.

its important for health reasons.

they need to put some AIDS awareness info around that area like other countries do.

its important for health reasons.

Free condoms are regularly given out by the PDA. Most working girls are aware of AIDS precautions although the same cannot always be said of their customers.

Well if you live there you wouldn't need a taxi to get home, you could walk home after a night out, and to go out somewhere else during the day well you have the BTS / MRT interchange so it's the most convenient part of the city. Unless you count the Siam interchange as better.

And if you just walk onto Suk the taxis are a bit better, agree Soi 4 is terrible for taxis.

Living around Asok rather than Nana would be slightly better as you have Terminal 21 mall, the huge Benjakiti Park, lots more high end restaurants, 24 hour Tony's gym, etc.

Exactly

Lived in Asoke nearly 8 years - it's insanely convenient.

Never refused a taxi if I can't be ar5ed to walk home, BTS/MRT, a near 24/7 moto-taxi rank, shopping, restaurants, cinema complexes, gyms, high-end grocers

Rather live here than some McMansion in the boonies or in a boring gated community with a bunch of Victor Meldrews that charge round to complain because you closed your bloody microwave door too loudly

I used to go to the Nana Hotel every time I was in Bangkok, nothing to do with the ladies, it could not be faulted, same price all the year round, great breakfast, great swimming pool, great staff, never had to book, always rooms available.

But one major thing that lets them down, and the reason I stopped going is because they do not have free internet like all the other hotels.

The Nana Hotel recently began providing free wifi internet access 24/7 for registered guests.

SL

I used to go to the Nana Hotel every time I was in Bangkok, nothing to do with the ladies, it could not be faulted, same price all the year round, great breakfast, great swimming pool, great staff, never had to book, always rooms available.

But one major thing that lets them down, and the reason I stopped going is because they do not have free internet like all the other hotels.

The Nana Hotel recently began providing free wifi internet access 24/7 for registered guests.

SL

Thanks for telling me, I may start going back again.

Maybe i missed something in your post...a cry for help....no I think you are heat affected.

starwars...yes i saw it in 3d and it was fantastic.....best ever. the movie critics are all raving about it too.

Nana provides entertainment for tourists and yes everyone will try and get the last baht out of you. honestly if you live here then you know this and cowboy is even worse. now Sstarwars is on in many cinemas outside of Nana.

maybe time for you to go back to your home country before something bad happens 55.

Maybe i missed something in your post...a cry for help....no I think you are heat affected.

starwars...yes i saw it in 3d and it was fantastic.....best ever. the movie critics are all raving about it too.

Nana provides entertainment for tourists and yes everyone will try and get the last baht out of you. honestly if you live here then you know this and cowboy is even worse. now Sstarwars is on in many cinemas outside of Nana.

maybe time for you to go back to your home country before something bad happens 55.

Says a guy who liked this "Star Wars" hack.

After 3 months in BKK (On Nut, not even the sex district) I realized that I could never live in that concrete jungle.

Next I gave Bang Saen a try for 2 months, but thought it was not much different from BKK - yet friends from Pataya kept telling us how wonderful Bang Saen was, it's beach and relaxed atmosphere.

I was ready to go back home.

Then my wife talked me into going to her home village in Chanthaburi.

Jungle, fruit trees, poor internet, no Farangs, actually few Thais too, mountain view, 20 km to the next restaurant, market at 7 km.

And I lived happily ever after!

Yes I wouldn't live in Bkk even if u gave me free rental. Dirty, Dust,Fumes, Stra nge people an tourists. I've just moved up north west near Burmese border after living 7 years in grotty Pattaya an even I've surprised myself how more relaxed I am.As I hav been a city guy all me life. Me hse in village with mountain views. town 5 mins away shopping mall restaurants few bars. Even private swimming pool (30b) 5 mins away. Do miss the beach an island's though.

But hey can't hav it all.

After 3 months in BKK (On Nut, not even the sex district) I realized that I could never live in that concrete jungle.

Next I gave Bang Saen a try for 2 months, but thought it was not much different from BKK - yet friends from Pataya kept telling us how wonderful Bang Saen was, it's beach and relaxed atmosphere.

Jungle, fruit trees, poor internet, no Farangs, actually few Thais too, mountain view, 20 km to the next restaurant, market at 7 km.

Yes I wouldn't live in Bkk even if u gave me free rental. Dirty, Dust,Fumes, Stra nge people an tourists. I've just moved up north west near Burmese border after living 7 years in grotty Pattaya an even I've surprised myself how more relaxed I am.As I hav been a city guy all me life. Me hse in village with mountain views. town 5 mins away shopping mall restaurants few bars. Even private swimming pool (30b) 5 mins away. Do miss the beach an island's though.

So lemme see if I got this straight - you're saying that compared to Pattaya, where you spent SEVEN years, BKK has strange people? Tourists?

I think your opinion can be safely ignored

So lemme see if I got this straight - you're saying that compared to Pattaya, where you spent SEVEN years, BKK has strange people? Tourists?

I think your opinion can be safely ignored

And I think ur answer can be safely ignored. An yes Bkk has more weirdos than Pattaya. Ru one of them? :-)

Some of us don't have much choice - Bangkok is where the better paying jobs are. Fortunately I love living in cities - 20 years in London and so far 10 in Bangkok. I don't live in Nana though!

I live in Ramkhamheang too, boring as hell in my book, but peaceful none the less....

I like an occassional day out in Nana - yes its not a place id live and its full of strange oddities, as far as Taxis are concerned they are all bad around sukumvit to foreigners.. its not just nana Asoke is no different, and after the clubs close you wont get many that put on meters.

I live in Ramkhamheang too, boring as hell in my book, but peaceful none the less....

I like an occassional day out in Nana - yes its not a place id live and its full of strange oddities, as far as Taxis are concerned they are all bad around sukumvit to foreigners.. its not just nana Asoke is no different, and after the clubs close you wont get many that put on meters.

You think they don't gouge Thais too? I see them refusing Thais all the time. You don't think the "crackdown" on taxis came as a result of a few self-important farangs bitching, do you?

Foreigner OR Thai, it depends on your destination.

If it takes him out of the area, he might not want to go because he won't be able to get back in time to get another fare.

If you're just going to Asoke, though, nobody refuses you.

Sukhumvit is not just Nana and Asoke.

Ram boring, you need to get out more, its one of the most vibrant parts of the city.

Ram long road, goes all the way from Pra Ram 9 all the way to Min Buri, try living up by the uni, more women than you can shake a stick at.

You think they don't gouge Thais too? I see them refusing Thais all the time. You don't think the "crackdown" on taxis came as a result of a few self-important farangs bitching, do you?

Foreigner OR Thai, it depends on your destination.

If it takes him out of the area, he might not want to go because he won't be able to get back in time to get another fare.

If you're just going to Asoke, though, nobody refuses you.

I have been refused in Asoke and that was mid afteernoon. taxis refuse you for many reasons...traffic, you look like a tourist although my thai wife has been refused too.

I love how people think they are better than other people because they don't like an area.

Nana indeed is a tourist area that isn't really a part of Thailand, pretty much like Buckingham Palace and Oxford street in London. Bloody tourists swarming all over the place. Who in the right mind would want to travel to London and go to Buckingham Palace, they will charge you £2 for a 50p can of coke. Right rip off. A place a true Brit would never be seen.

I love how people think they are better than other people because they don't like an area.

Nana indeed is a tourist area that isn't really a part of Thailand, pretty much like Buckingham Palace and Oxford street in London. Bloody tourists swarming all over the place. Who in the right mind would want to travel to London and go to Buckingham Palace, they will charge you £2 for a 50p can of coke. Right rip off. A place a true Brit would

Its a tourist area and if you want to go thats fine but you will pay tourist prices just like everywhere else in the world

Nana indeed is a tourist area that isn't really a part of Thailand, pretty much like Buckingham Palace and Oxford street in London. Bloody tourists swarming all over the place. Who in the right mind would want to travel to London and go to Buckingham Palace, they will charge you £2 for a 50p can of coke. Right rip off. A place a true Brit would never be seen.

It worked out pretty well for Kate Middleton. laugh.png

It worked out pretty well for Kate Middleton. laugh.png

A right Dick Whittington story she tells oh yes she does!

Archived