Brit savagely beaten by Patong tuk-tuk driver

webfact

Brit beaten by Patong tuk-tuk driver
Phuket Gazette

ka.jpeg
Mr Kamarell filed a complaint with Patong police after he was savagely attacked. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Police have charged a Phuket tuk-tuk driver for savagely beating a British national over a discrepancy in the price of a ride in Patong on December 15.

“William Joseph Kamarell, 22, explained that a tuk-tuk driver had picked him up at Soi Bangla in Patong and took him about five kilometers to where he was staying on Nanai Road,” explained Lt Col Anukul Nuket of the Patong Police. “The 27-year-old driver, Sutee Longklang, demanded 1,000 baht for the trip. However, Mr Kamarell refused and offered him only 300 baht, the normal rate for the trip.”

Mr Sutee then allegedly attacked Mr Kamarell, beating him to the ground before fleeing the scene.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Brit-beaten-Patong-tuktuk-driver/62664?desktopversion#ad-image-1

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-18

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see we are back to bad Tuk Tuk driver stories - as in back to normal.

I remember about 15 years a nephew was visiting us - he was a teenager with no world experience. He walked about the beach beach area and got lost so he asked a Tuk Tuk to take him back to our place on Nanai. Never knew he had to negotiate the price before so the driver fleeced him for 500 baht. At least that's all he admitted to me he paid, I suspect he paid more and was too embarrassed to tell me.

High season tourism promotion at its best from the land of smiles.

I hope it makes it to the British tabloids.

There is no other solution than avoiding this mobster island.

1000 Baht for five kilometers, fraudster!

Sad.

The usual fair may well be 300 but did they agree or discuss the fair?

Exactly

Dumb <deleted> tourist beered up things he is superman (proven otherwise) and knows all there is too know about the world.

well he learnt a lesson didn't he! ever do any research - this is not a place to <deleted> with the local sunshine, over 10quid. idiot.

yes this is annouying, yes the tuk tuk was taking the piss. happens all over the world and you pay the price and remember next time to agree a fee.

salt of the earth the earth those fellas....

just last week after I (legally) parked behind a tuk tuk, one told me I couldn't park there, then threatened to punch me when I asked why he could park there...

My dad was in the car too, first trip to thailand, a great impression...

Is it something in the water? Hardly a day goes by without some tourist or expat getting beaten to pulp by Thai men or lady-boys who have "lost it" during some relatively trivial dispute. According to a report in the New York Times violent crime has rocketed under the present regime, though this is denied by the BIB.

There used to be a website dedicated to recording the gory details of falang deaths in the Land of Smiles, but it seems to have, , , I was going to say "died a natural death", but, the way things are here, that would make it almost unique.

5km?? Did the Tuk-Tuk circle Patong a couple of times??? It's less than 1.5km from Bangla to Nanai, maybe 2km if it was at either end of Nanai.

And regardless of whether a price was agreed up front, you can't just make up a number like that. Why not ask for 100,000 baht if that's the case.

When I lived in Patong Mrs CM worked for a hotel just off the beach and I would pick her up from work each day, usually I would park at the beach for about twenty minutes and take a walk along the sand. It got to be a game played by the local drivers as to how quickly they could key my car for parking in their territory, the record was less than five minutes! And these were the same guys who knew me, knew my wife, knew where she worked and why I was there and on occasion, even smiled and said hi!

He don't look that 'savagely beaten' to me.

A small bandage on one hand and elbow ...... I've done worse than that to myself gardening.

Maybe 'slightly bruised' .... but that isn't such a good headline.

have you ever had bruised ribs let me know how it feels and how long it took for them to recover

Tough week for the Brits in Thailand...attacked by ladyboys in Pattaya, getting "lost" in Thailand, and now this...maybe they should avoid Thailand.

Getting lost, hmmm, trying to AVOID going home, more like it... Why would anybody not agree to a price before leaving, tuk tuk drivers arent known for their kindness...

Archived