Brit savagely beaten by Patong tuk-tuk driver

webfact

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in Patong Mrs CM worked for a hotel just off the beach and I would pick her up from work each day, usually I would park at the beach for about twenty minutes and take a walk along the sand. It got to be a game played by the local drivers as to how quickly they could key my car for parking in their territory, the record was less than five minutes! And these were the same guys who knew me, knew my wife, knew where she worked and why I was there and on occasion, even smiled and said hi!

I'm guessing that I park my car in the same area as you did, when I have to go to Patong Immigration. I've never had a problem with the Tuk Tuk/Taxis in that area, mind you I have a word with them when I park and tell them how long I expect to be at Immigration. I do the same procedure when I park in front of a shop ... I know it should not be necessary, but why create any hassle.

He don't look that 'savagely beaten' to me.

A small bandage on one hand and elbow ...... I've done worse than that to myself gardening.

Maybe 'slightly bruised' .... but that isn't such a good headline.

Looks like a plaster cast under that sling to me. So a broken bone would indicated a pretty bad flogging.

How did that hobbit of a tuk tuk driver manage to beat up the big brit? unless he was using a baseball bat or a Iron pipe? Or was the arm broken before? I mean the guy could easily stand in for a skeleton at a medical class skeletal review.

The fact is that Thai people are historically quite violent and that Smile soon vanishes and the other side surfaces.

Phuket Tuk Tuk drivers are notorious for vastly over charging as are the Taxis too.

Of course there being no meter on a Tuk Tuk it's VITAL to agree the fare before you get in!

These guys are always 'tooled' up with a weapon of some sort…….Knife, Machete, Club or even a Gun.

Tanked up with that shit Red Bull and probably Yaba too!

I was to understand the Phuket had been cleaned up re Buses, Tuk Tuks and Taxis…..not for long though.

The usual fair may well be 300 but did they agree or discuss the fair?

Exactly

Dumb <deleted> tourist beered up things he is superman (proven otherwise) and knows all there is too know about the world.

well he learnt a lesson didn't he! ever do any research - this is not a place to <deleted> with the local sunshine, over 10quid. idiot.

yes this is annouying, yes the tuk tuk was taking the piss. happens all over the world and you pay the price and remember next time to agree a fee.

So.....how do you know he was 'beered up' and acting like superman? How do you know he didn't agree a price before hand and the driver decided to 'up' it

Do you have access to information other than the article or is this an assumption on your part?

'happens all over the world' what, getting beaten up by taxi drivers who are trying to rip you off? Really....

Whoever paid 300 baht even for such a short trip must be out of his mind.

Minimum price in Patong for a Tuk Tuk to even switch on the engine and roll 100m.

Not really, usually 200 baht from Nanai to Bangla, have done it a few times from Don's BBQ. I'm guessing 300 baht could be a "night time" / "drunken farang" price.

Not a single ,mention about the tuk tuk driver.

Physical assault demands a severe penalty, regardless on whom it is inflicted. Depending on the extent of the Brits injuries, a 12 month prison sentence should be minimum (an example to others) + compensation to the Brit (which should come out of a pool that all taxi/tuk tuk drivers pay into).

2 lessons learnt. 1. Always discuss fare with driver beforehand. 2. Stop being a pu$$y.

She was asking to be raped the way she dresses...They deserved to be robbed if they left their door open.....He deserved to have his arm busted if he didn't agree to being ripped off. Perhaps you should learn a lesson and dont blame the victims of crime and justify the actions of the criminals.

Whoever paid 300 baht even for such a short trip must be out of his mind.

Please stop blaming the tourist!

Sure, part of the problem is the holiday head!

We think we are going for a relaxing holiday in a tropical paradise.

The adverts don't warn us about the tuk tuk/taxi/petrol/jet ski/drug planting scams or robberies at ATM's

or beatings by lady boys........etc etc.

Who does research into the down side of a holiday in the tropics?

For many tourists, there are no problems, probably because they don't put themselves into extremely dangerous situations.

drunk at 3-4 am in a tourist area crammed with prostitutes and lady boys as an example.

But, IMHO,

the real problem in Thailand is that the Perps know that they can get away with crimes like this and worse.

If caught the perp can expect a maximum 500b fine and back to work same day.

The tourist was perhaps imprudent but he should not be subjected to violence.

If the dispute was real, the driver could have involved the police.....

In Thailand, the newbie tourist doesn't stand a chance if he has a holiday head on

and isn't that a shame?

The Fare sounds expensive to me , I get the odd Tuk Tuk more than 5 kms usually 150 Bht.

One stopped a few years back as I was hailing a cab in BK and offered to take me to Khoa San Rd for 300 BHt , I said aircon taxi only 100 he said ok and that was it.

Patong another story, try Koh Samui even worse.

They way things are going you are going to start getting vigilante groups being set up and that is the last thing in the world anyone needs

Farang vigilante groups, set up to patrol the beaches of Patong to keep the tuk tuk drivers in check, a Guardian Angels kinda thing?

Hmm, an interesting concept, wonder why I never thought of that.

Wait, I know why! gigglem.gif

Exactly

Dumb <deleted> tourist beered up things he is superman (proven otherwise) and knows all there is too know about the world.

well he learnt a lesson didn't he! ever do any research - this is not a place to <deleted> with the local sunshine, over 10quid. idiot.

yes this is annouying, yes the tuk tuk was taking the piss. happens all over the world and you pay the price and remember next time to agree a fee.

The dumb arse is you. Do you really think think knowing the normal price and questioning a 3 fold increase is wrong? Even if after the fact.

The man was attacked for trying to stop being ripped off.

What would you have done? Taken it up the arse i would presume. Better that than express your feeling.

Some tw#ts are so clever in their own mind.

Go anywhere is 200B even 100 meters,, so 1000B for 5 KM is not bad,, haha .. YEAH RIGHT ....

I wonder when, or even if, they will bring in a system like in Pattaya, they keep doing a curcuit up beach Rd and back along second Rd.

You can jump on and off anywhere and just 20B. And they always busy,, wonder why so many here just sit on side of road for hours and go nowhere ???

not hard to figure it out..

They talked about it a year ago,, even said they will be painted in pink candy stripes,,, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENS.

I have lived here over a year and have never used one .... and never will at the rates they charge !!!

Can get a proper taxi back home in NZ for less than they charge for tuk tuks here.. not everything is cheap !

Archived