Brit savagely beaten by Patong tuk-tuk driver

webfact

Most of you people are talking out your poop chutes. Never been to Phuket or ridden in a tuk, tuk. You dont have a clue about what goes on there. Did you know the government put standardized fares in play on the island just to atop this BS? I guarantee you the standard fair is not 1000 baht or even 300 for that ride. The tuk tuk guys are the scum of the earth on Phuket. They attempted to reign them after the coup and they have been back to their old tricks for a while now. Thai society sucks.

I think we all know that already, that any tuk tuk fare is not 1000b, even in bkk they only charge 300b to a unsuspected farang

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is that, the Ministry of Transport is asleep for 20 years.

So Tuk Tuks have no meters.

Unfortunately, there is not even an official system/table/pricelist for example, distance kilometers.

So a carte blanche to charge whatever they want and the anger and the beatings are inevitable.

For example a solution such as in the Philippines with kilometers and zones would be good.

The trike fare lists are clearly displayed on the vehicles.

Guess you didnt read my post....YES there are standard fares in Phuket. Obviously they arent followed all the time.

Unfortunately, there is not even an official system/table/pricelist for example, distance kilometers.

So a carte blanche to charge whatever they want and the anger and the beatings are inevitable.

For example a solution such as in the Philippines with kilometers and zones would be good.

Guess you didnt read my post....YES there are standard fares in Phuket. Obviously they arent followed all the time.

You can post these official fares please,

or send a link where to find those price list.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Sorry cant as Im in the middle easy right now. They are however posted all over Phuket starting at the airport when you arrive. Many of the tuk tuks and taxis have the cards in their vehicles. THey are posted on sign boards where the guys hang out also. Do you live there?

High season tourism promotion at its best from the land of smiles.

I hope it makes it to the British tabloids.

There is no other solution than avoiding this mobster island.

1000 Baht for five kilometers, fraudster!

Sad.

So in your country EVERY person ALWAYS thinks about the image of the country before they do anything... Criminals as well??

Tourists are easy targets for many frauds anywhere in the world. A taxi driver that takes a longer route to get a higher fare, and probably many other new and old tricks.

Someone already brought up the question in this thread - did the young guy bother to verify the price or just assumes that since he knew the price it would be fine? Don't get me wrong. I do NOT justify the tuk tuk driver's action or reaction. But it is well known that there are some (or even many) bad people in Phuket and Pattaya. I usually avoid those places, but last time I went to Phuket with some overseas guests, I asked a couple of tuk tuk driver for th fare from point A to point B. Was given the same price every time - 200 THB (all within Patong area) so I realized this is the standard price. HOWEVER - every time BEFORE getting on a tuk tuk I asked for the price just to verify and so not to be surprised but a higher price once we get to our destination.

How did that skinny little runt manage to beat down the bigger Brit man?

On reading the report it seems the Tuk Tuk driver probably pushed Mr Kamarell, falling down injuring his arm as he hit the ground. Thais can go berserk at the drop of a hat, the consequences not even an after thought.

Thank you.

Sorry cant as Im in the middle easy right now. They are however posted all over Phuket starting at the airport when you arrive. Many of the tuk tuks and taxis have the cards in their vehicles. THey are posted on sign boards where the guys hang out also. Do you live there?

No, i live on the Koh samui side, but same problems here.

For taxi motorcycles here, there are price lists, but they are homemade and not official.

I did not know that there is an official price list for all Phuket Tuk Tuks.

300 baht for 5 km is quite expensive, for comparison, in Bangkok I can drive for 300 Baht in an air-conditioned taxi

from downtown to the airport (30 km).

Trying to get 1000 baht for 5 km, is fraud and robbery.

Since how many years the Ministry of Transport tolerated this?

They are unable to operate a proper transport system.

Certainly not good for the reputation of a tourist destination.

Hint. Always keep a toothpick in you pocket. It helps when there is a runner (for cheating or violence or accident) from a tuk-tuk or taxi or whatever. Stick the toothpick in the ignition, break it off and poke it in further with the other half. Very difficult to restart without a lot of effort.

He don't look that 'savagely beaten' to me.

A small bandage on one hand and elbow ...... I've done worse than that to myself gardening.

Maybe 'slightly bruised' .... but that isn't such a good headline.

Come on man,be fair.OK I agree he does not look "savagely beaten",but your description of the"small bandage on one hand and elbow is a bit much.The bandaging covers all the way from his elbow to his hand.The latter looking like it is meant to keep his wrist immobile.This could suggest a broken or a cracked bone in the fore-arm------- in any case its sure more than "slight bruising".He was heading for a massive rip off but I doubt if any repercussions for the Tuk Tuk driver.Wonder what you would have said if he had beaten the driver in self defence---- OH and by the way,get your wife or a professional gardener in------ it's too dangerous for youwai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Maybe better to be "lost in Isaan" then.....I'm very sorry for not knowing all the posts before, but he doesn't look like a "beaten up guy" to me.

"Can you get me some dope, mate?" and nothing in return could be the answer. 1 K for such a trip seems to be a joke, but......nobody here knows the truth.....

Of course would I never try to make any assumptions based on a short article about a young Brit who wanted to partyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yeaahh..thumbsup.gif

Go anywhere is 200B even 100 meters,, so 1000B for 5 KM is not bad,, haha .. YEAH RIGHT ....

I wonder when, or even if, they will bring in a system like in Pattaya, they keep doing a curcuit up beach Rd and back along second Rd.

You can jump on and off anywhere and just 20B. And they always busy,, wonder why so many here just sit on side of road for hours and go nowhere ???

not hard to figure it out..

They talked about it a year ago,, even said they will be painted in pink candy stripes,,, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENS.

I have lived here over a year and have never used one .... and never will at the rates they charge !!!

Can get a proper taxi back home in NZ for less than they charge for tuk tuks here.. not everything is cheap !

It's generally 10 baht...it would only be 20 baht if you got on somewhere on beach road and got off somewhere on second (or vice-a-versa).

Hint. Always keep a toothpick in you pocket. It helps when there is a runner (for cheating or violence or accident) from a tuk-tuk or taxi or whatever. Stick the toothpick in the ignition, break it off and poke it in further with the other half. Very difficult to restart without a lot of effort.

Great idea!

And if you just can't get to the ignition, you could use it in your self-defense........

Not a single ,mention about the tuk tuk driver.

Physical assault demands a severe penalty, regardless on whom it is inflicted. Depending on the extent of the Brits injuries, a 12 month prison sentence should be minimum (an example to others) + compensation to the Brit (which should come out of a pool that all taxi/tuk tuk drivers pay into).

Do you get a white wig and a gown when they do a lobotomy. This Thailand (TiT) - they make their own laws, nothing to do with western ideas of justice!

Great idea!

And if you just can't get to the ignition, you could use it in your self-defense........

It's easy to defend yourself with a toothpick when being attacked by ten guys.....thumbsup.gif

Where's the pic of the guy that was 'Savagely beaten'?

exactly, where i come from, a savage beating is having 2 black eyes, broken nose, teeth kicked out , maybe broken ribs, blood all over , maybe some dirt, hardly looks like his hair was out of place... maybe he´s one of modern days football stars that took a dive rolled around for 100 yards then made out he was shot

Call me an old cynic, but I recon you need beating up if you are daft enough to travel 5 k in a tuk tuk!

what world do you live in..?? ive been in phuket for years, simple thing, tell the driver how much youre willing to pay, if he dont like it, move on to the next, some one is always desperate enough for the money... some people have a lot to learn.....

Archived