Brit savagely beaten by Patong tuk-tuk driver

webfact

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From so bangna to nanai is no more than 1 km...it's 5 km from bangna to karon beach...

From Bangla to Karon is 7 km, and if you consider the (in)famous one-way system in Patong you will easily measure the 5 km from Bangla to middle of Nanai. A Tuk-Tuk sometimes has to use the road...

Call me an old cynic, but I recon you need beating up if you are daft enough to travel 5 k in a tuk tuk!

what world do you live in..?? ive been in phuket for years, simple thing, tell the driver how much youre willing to pay, if he dont like it, move on to the next, some one is always desperate enough for the money... some people have a lot to learn.....

Another one with no sense of humour.

Yes of course if you have no other recourse but to get a tt you must negotiate in advance. Same with motorbike taxies that I would much rather use than an inherently unstable tt. Some companies here prohibit their staff from using tt's because they are Bloody dangerous things. You don't need to get beaten up, I have had friends severely injured when they tipped over.

The drivers get doolally from the fumes and they are always argumentative. They should be banned.

Does wonders for the Junta's insistence on happiness. coffee1.gif

The happiness is not meant for visitors and foreigners, just locals.

And this one was very unhappy that some upstart tourist would not pay the extortionate rate fare and wanted to pay the regular fare.

This is contrary to the desires of the junta and tourists must learn to comply with these demands.

Just goes to show you, ANYWHERE in Thailand always ask for a price (if driver not using meter), before getting into the taxi, tuk-tuk, minibus, whatever. Forget about that big toothy "Thai smile", nowadays that means squat.

If you are flashing a full wallet, look drunk, stupid or just plain dumb, you are more of a target.

Not all drivers are predators, but a large proportion are. Even Thai folk will tell you this. Take care, learn the ropes before you get here.

Hint. Always keep a toothpick in you pocket. It helps when there is a runner (for cheating or violence or accident) from a tuk-tuk or taxi or whatever. Stick the toothpick in the ignition, break it off and poke it in further with the other half. Very difficult to restart without a lot of effort.

Great tip if you want a sharp metal object between the ribs. You get pushed out then they do a runner.

Always in Thailand now, do not challenge a Thai man. Do not loose your cool, do not shout at them. They see that as a weakness. Walk away.

Visitors should always have the Tourist Police number on their mobiles. Use it !

Visitors should always spend 30 minutes putting the following on the phones, before they get here:

• You embassy details, together with after-hours numbers
  • Police: 191
  • Tourist Police: 199
  • Your Bank's lost card contact number
  • Prepare a card with all your credit card numbers, for reference
  • Keep also your hotel's card in your wallet

Over 34 years this practice has got me out of a lot of hassles, quickly. And today's Thailand is so much more dangerous than yesteryear.

Just goes to show you, ANYWHERE in Thailand always ask for a price (if driver not using meter), before getting into the taxi, tuk-tuk, minibus, whatever. Forget about that big toothy "Thai smile", nowadays that means squat.

If you are flashing a full wallet, look drunk, stupid or just plain dumb, you are more of a target.

Not all drivers are predators, but a large proportion are. Even Thai folk will tell you this. Take care, learn the ropes before you get here.

True,,,however, in Phuket all too many ( as in not all of them but all too many ) are aggressive thugs that will basically extort money out of the passengers...even if you did negotiate the price.

There have been numerous cases where the persons agreed to a seemingly reasonable price and still the dick head Tuk Tuk driver aggressively intimidated the people into paying more than agreed price.

They do it because they can get away with it and if and when they do get caught out or reported......well..... you already know the routine so no need to elaborate.

Cheers

Dumb ass - he fled on foot leaving his tuk tuk behind...

how is it that this boy, good sized got whipped by a small thai? was he drunk? what time was it? usually no single thai will fight it out with a "normal" sized foreigner, they usually hit them with four or five guys! something not right here,

Is it something in the water? Hardly a day goes by without some tourist or expat getting beaten to pulp by Thai men or lady-boys who have "lost it" during some relatively trivial dispute. According to a report in the New York Times violent crime has rocketed under the present regime, though this is denied by the BIB.

There used to be a website dedicated to recording the gory details of falang deaths in the Land of Smiles, but it seems to have, , , I was going to say "died a natural death", but, the way things are here, that would make it almost unique.

There are some sites here and there that detail the accounts of road deaths, such as roads of koh samui (ROKS) on Facebook. It is a great site. It was created to counter the obsessive insistence on the part of the authorities to NEVER report anything of that nature. Wonder how many others there are? Anyone know of any such forums?

Dumb ass - he fled on foot leaving his tuk tuk behind...

how is it that this boy, good sized got whipped by a small thai? was he drunk? what time was it? usually no single thai will fight it out with a "normal" sized foreigner, they usually hit them with four or five guys! something not right here,

maybe he was on something to make his tuk tuk seem like it was going faster?....but yes i agree its usually done in mass.

Well........... anyone who takes a tuk tuk or a jet ski gets everything they deserve. It's not like it has not been plastered all over the internet the last thousand years. Friend of mine got charged 1,000 baht for top of soi nana to the end. He offered the driver 300 but the driver got out of the tuk tuk and implied that he was going to get hurt so he paid the 1,000. I just reminded my friend how many times have i told him to not take tuk tuks.

just to add. my friend is 65 years old

Not a single ,mention about the tuk tuk driver.

Physical assault demands a severe penalty, regardless on whom it is inflicted. Depending on the extent of the Brits injuries, a 12 month prison sentence should be minimum (an example to others) + compensation to the Brit (which should come out of a pool that all taxi/tuk tuk drivers pay into).

That wouldnt be a pool, it would need to be an Ocean

Why is it mealy-mouthed expats attack their own kind namely: tourists having bad experiences in a land fraught with evil cowardly taxi-tuk tuk drivers who reckon have carte blanch to defraud rape and pillage people coming here on holiday.

These Tv visa cronies usually justify this by blaming the victims for not knowing the MO of this filth pent on stealing money by force and fear of worse reprisals being backed up by Thai gangs with neither empathy or compassion for Ferangs who begrudge giving them their hard earned cash.

Now I expect the usual Shiite about it happening in other countries. Personally, I'm talking about Thailand. A stance needs to be made to show the world that tourists will have less to fear because these tormenters will not be given lame sentences for putting the country into the hall of shame.

I don't want to rabbit on too much but pls fellow TV members have some thought for others and dont always cast the blame on holidaymakers.

The usual fair may well be 300 but did they agree or discuss the fair?

Why should that be neccessary? If you know the correct fair or at least know what is normal and to be expected. Maybe some 'Trade Tolerance' could be accepted (+/- 50 thb) but not 350% hike; thats a complete rip off and people should stand their ground against such rip off merchants or the problem will escalate.

Yes it may sometimes it may take some balls but you should never talk down about those that do stand up against these <deleted>. Asking the price often means you look like a naive tourist plump for plucking. So asking may lead to having to stand in the street arguing over the price for 1/2 an hour before getting the ride for the right price in the end.

The usual fair may well be 300 but did they agree or discuss the fair?

Why should that be neccessary? If you know the correct fair or at least know what is normal and to be expected. Maybe some 'Trade Tolerance' could be accepted (+/- 50 thb) but not 350% hike; thats a complete rip off and people should stand their ground against such rip off merchants or the problem will escalate.

Yes it may sometimes it may take some balls but you should never talk down about those that do stand up against these <deleted>. Asking the price often means you look like a naive tourist plump for plucking. So asking may lead to having to stand in the street arguing over the price for 1/2 an hour before getting the ride for the right price in the end.

No thats total bs. You Must agree a price with tt's and motorbike taxies (and if you were really stupid or stranded in the boonies) with a taxi that did not use the meter) or you will definately get ripped off and the police will not help you. If you then get beaten-up because you don't want to pay a high price its your own fault. All tourists have a responsibility to themselves to check out the local practices before coming to Thailand. I am not condoning tt and taxi rip-offs but if you have to spend 10 mins in the rain to get a reasonable price its better than getting assaulted and, if you want to pay a high price just to save time, or getting wet at least it will be your choice.

Nothing funny about that and based on 20 years experience here.

Its the same in other countries, you can very easily get ripped of by eg an airport taxi in the UK if you don't have some idea of the best route. Not a London Cab, but their prices are so high you could buy a tt for the price from Heathrow to central London and even black cabs have been known to charge Arabs 1000 quid for that trip. + tip!

Malaysian taxies are even worse than here and more expensive, as are those in Singy and HK. Thai taxies are good value. TukTuks are a menace. But, like those tourists who get a thrill standing up at the back of the Pattaya/Puket/? pick-up style taxies, they do add to the experience of exotic east for new tourists.

So, you believe violence to settle a dispute is right? That's what you are saying in your post.

What if a tourist comes from a country where you don't have to settle on price first and is ignorant of the ways here? Still deserve the bashing do they?

You're a disgrace (with a very weak sense of humour, too).

Archived