Pattaya is dead

VIPinthailand

Went to Central this afternoon at 3pm, and all levels of the parking lot were full. When I reached the top level it had 13 parking lots available, but there were more than 13 cars ahead of me so decided to turn back.

Took me almost an hour from entrance to exit. Pattaya must be really quiet. coffee1.gif

No surprise. The best mall in the area, on the Saturday afternoon before Christmas, on the weekend when the new Star Wars movie is opening? That feels like the ingredients for the perfect over-crowding storm to me. Personally I avoid such scenario's but many seem to enjoy the energy of the chaotic atmosphere. You know; holiday spirit and all... laugh.png

SL

Yeah, didn't think about the star wars movie opening, can have been a major cause for the crowded parking lot. But at the end it proofs that Pattaya is busy at the moment, because all those cars didn't come out of space.

this thread is well about tourism ... foreign tourists didn't drive those cars, i 'm sure of it.

me don't care anyway, hate pattaya (dead or crowed) , and i'm not interrested in foreign tourists when on hollidays, certainly not in chinese/russian ones (who remain the most of pat 's guests)

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to Central this afternoon at 3pm, and all levels of the parking lot were full. When I reached the top level it had 13 parking lots available, but there were more than 13 cars ahead of me so decided to turn back.

Took me almost an hour from entrance to exit. Pattaya must be really quiet. coffee1.gif

No surprise. The best mall in the area, on the Saturday afternoon before Christmas, on the weekend when the new Star Wars movie is opening? That feels like the ingredients for the perfect over-crowding storm to me. Personally I avoid such scenario's but many seem to enjoy the energy of the chaotic atmosphere. You know; holiday spirit and all... laugh.png

SL

Yeah, didn't think about the star wars movie opening, can have been a major cause for the crowded parking lot. But at the end it proofs that Pattaya is busy at the moment, because all those cars didn't come out of space.

this thread is well about tourism ... foreign tourists didn't drive those cars, i 'm sure of it.

me don't care anyway, hate pattaya (dead or crowed) , and i'm not interrested in foreign tourists when on hollidays, certainly not in chinese/russian ones (who remain the most of pat 's guests)

Foreign tourists don't drive cars?

So all those car rental companies in Pattaya are for Thais who drive from Bangkok to Pattaya, then rent a car?

SL

So all those car rental companies in Pattaya are for Thais who drive from Bangkok to Pattaya, then rent a car?

I would warrant that 80% of those cars were Thai or resident expat owned

Could well be but, if 20% of the parking spaces in Central are occupied by cars rented by tourists, it is an indication that Pattaya is very busy with tourists. Not all tourists rent cars, and not all of them that rent cars go to Central.thumbsup.gif

Great posting by Suradit69 and I agree with everything that was said. Take a look around you--it's likely the highrises you are looking at weren't there 5 years ago. Look at all the new bars that opened by Kiss restaurant in Jomtien the last couple of years, for just one example. And new restaurants are going in on Jomtien Second Road, too. Everywhere you look there is something new--from the new Index to the second Home Pro to Chic Republic. And the big Harbor Mall on the way. Pattaya is growing and it's bustling year-round--it just may not feel as busy because there are more places for people to go. If you think it's slow, try to get a parking place at Big C Extra around noon time.

Again...what on earth does this have to do with tourists??

I don't imagine a single one of those cars belonged to a Chinese, Southern Indian, Arab or Russian tourist.

So these will be people that live nearby or who are visiting for the weekend.

I don't imagine a single one of those cars belonged to a Chinese, Southern Indian, Arab or Russian tourist.

So there are no Thai tourists in your small world?

How did you know there were 13 spots available ? Is it an electric system or did you get out and count them ? How do you know there were more than 13 cars in front of you ? again did you get out and count them ?

And if all levels were full how come one level had 13 spaces ?

And did not one car leave in the hour you were there ?

So many questions.

It's hard to know all these details, but I'm sure about one thing - if Central is busy on Saturday afternoon, peak time for Thai day trippers, it has little correlation with peak tourist season in Pattaya. A lot of those Thai favoured restaurants in Central are jam packed with Thai people on weekends and public holidays.

it is easy to know all those details because at the entrance of every level it has a digital board that says how many parking lots are available on that level and the the next level.

Every parking place has a sensor, which is connected to the central system, so if it changes continuously.

When you enter a level which has standing traffic from the entrance, you can correctly assume that there are more than 13 cars ahead in the queue, and at the top level the only cars ahead are those that just entered the level and are seeking for parking space.

Whatever. My main point is that cars parked in Central has nothing to do with seasons in Pattaya. I'm amazed people don't mind wasting hours of their days sitting in traffic jams in cars.

I'd go with 95% or higher are non-tourist cars.

I'd go with 95% or higher are non-tourist cars.

On reflection, I am upping my warrant to 95% to 99%. smile.png

well after 6pm most people go out and they don't go the beach, every bar from second road back to 3rd road is busy, Ne plaza is busy

Soi Buakhao is busy, Lk metro is busy

its HIGH season and as busy as it has been in the past 12 years

most hotels are booked up

Are you a bar owner trying to put a brave smile on?

It's absolutely brown bread.

Worst I've ever seen it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amusing some of the things people get all hot and bothered about.

Is Pattaya dead? No.

Are there way more people here now than 5, 10 or 15 years ago? Yes, and that's true year 'round, not just during the holiday high seasons.

Are there fewer people here than last year or last week or on some arbitrarily chosen date in history? Hard to say and even harder to care.

If you're a resident and spend time in supermarkets or in the several malls that cater to residents (most of which didn't exist 10 years ago) or driving from A to B, there's plenty of traffic, human and vehicular, out there.

If you spend all your time holding down a bar stool, I'm sure the world is a very disappointing place wherever you are.

Just another exercise in Pattaya bashing by people who claim they would never come here but seem to (think they) know a lot about the place.

No one is stating that no one is there. They are referring to International tourism, not domestic.

There is a glut of property and business. The demographic has changed. Many of the Russians that I know have waited and are waiting for the cheapest tours to become available. Waiting one or two days before departure. So no new hotel bookings, but already packaged holidays with rooms long past their sell by date. Chinese tourists not that much different, but likely shorter stays than the ten days to two weeks of the mass Russian market. South Asians and Arabs also have certain hotels and areas that they frequent.

The cars have little to do with it. It is likely busy every weekend, regardless of International tourism.

But take away the domestic tourists and people staying there long term and you might realise the picture is not quite so rosy for the business that was created for the expanded market. So there are International tourists, but are they enough to sustain the business that has been created for them? Time will tell.

That is domestic tourism, small brain. Nothing to do with super peak season for International tourism. Same people can and will go to Central every weekend. But the OP is clearly referring to International tourism.

That is domestic tourism, small brain. Nothing to do with super peak season for International tourism. Same people can and will go to Central every weekend. But the OP is clearly referring to International tourism.

To start with the OP is clearly a troll, look at his other threads, and there is nowhere in the OP a mention of international. The title says " Pattaya is dead, which it clearly isn't.

Tourism is tourism, be it domestic, international or out of space, hotels, shops and restaurants cater to Thais as well as foreigners.

There are 52 weekends in a year, and all year there are an equal number of Thais in Thailand, but for the past week traffic has increased a lot compared with the average, and Christmas which is still a week away isn't even celebrated by Thais.

This is what Beach Rd looks like on Saturday, 10 pm, outside Mikes at Coffee Bean and Royal Garden. No people, and almost no traffic, for Saturday especially.

Must be pictures from last year, since all of them say Dec 20, and last time 20 December was on a Saturday was 2014.

Its always hard to get the truth on these things....lots of bloody bingo players with business interests talking up the place.

Maybe... a lot of people think Pattaya is a lot quieter than 10-20 years ago. However, they aren't taking into account that it's more than doubled in size so it's much more spread out..... I'd say there are far more people now, just not so densely populated.

This is what Beach Rd looks like on Saturday, 10 pm, outside Mikes at Coffee Bean and Royal Garden. No people, and almost no traffic, for Saturday especially.

Must be pictures from last year, since all of them say Dec 20, and last time 20 December was on a Saturday was 2014.

Well done Sherlock, have another biscuit!

Have you considered other possibilities - like the camera settings ?

Do you not think that it would be something of a MAJOR coincidence for poster whitemouse to just happen to have one year old photos - to the minute - of Beach Road on his camera/phone ?

I don't think it's only Pattaya. Everywhere in Europe sales are down, shops are empty , restauarants dead, even the supermarkets are waiting for the last rush before Christmas Eve. Not much money around , high taxes etc are not inciting people to travel far !

Also Thailand hasn't got such a good reputation anymore. Too many scams , and a not very bright picture where food hygiene is concerned. You can't hide these things in this day and age. That said, every tourist area has its ups and downs, it's the solid, good quality businesses that come through ok.

Food hygiene.? Please explain

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Yes traffic is almost bad every weekend here, we normally don't bother using the truck for same reason.

On the scooter we can move forward relatively quickly and I have to concentrate riding so I don't have time to get bored, in the truck I am fuming manbiggrin.png

Typically for the Pattaya forum; one poster mention that he don't care about the amount of tourists here because he hate the placefacepalm.gif

I don't mind he hate Pattaya, up to him, but he must be very bored up in Isaan since he visit the Pattaya forum and starts slamming the place.

I don't post in Isaan forum despite my wife have a farm up there, I am bored as hell up there but I don't bother posting about it, what's the point in that?

To start with the OP is clearly a troll, look at his other threads, and there is nowhere in the OP a mention of international. The title says " Pattaya is dead, which it clearly isn't.

Tourism is tourism, be it domestic, international or out of space, hotels, shops and restaurants cater to Thais as well as foreigners.

There are 52 weekends in a year, and all year there are an equal number of Thais in Thailand, but for the past week traffic has increased a lot compared with the average, and Christmas which is still a week away isn't even celebrated by Thais.

That's a joke. Most of my Thai friends are buying and exchanging gifts as are all of the expats living there from Israelis to Russians to....

As to tourism being tourism.....no. There are definitely preferred tourists and people going to Central with their cars for shopping are very likely not tourists.

If whitemouse's photos show the current state of affairs, you really need to pull your head out of your buttocks.

OMG ! if the cruncher is right , it should be worse this year

Just a reminder to Jiu Jitsu and others. The discussion is 'Pattaya is Dead'. Not 'Tourism is Dead'. Someone commenting on Central Festival being so full he couldn't find a parking space is making a relevant comment--so don't knock it. Can't be too dead if you can't get a parking spot at the mall. It's not ALL about the tourists. There seem to be plenty of tourists but the demographic has shifted so there are probably fewer who spend their holiday on a bar stool.

Just a reminder to Jiu Jitsu and others. The discussion is 'Pattaya is Dead'. Not 'Tourism is Dead'. Someone commenting on Central Festival being so full he couldn't find a parking space is making a relevant comment--so don't knock it. Can't be too dead if you can't get a parking spot at the mall. It's not ALL about the tourists. There seem to be plenty of tourists but the demographic has shifted so there are probably fewer who spend their holiday on a bar stool.

You could be right, all those pictures and videos from a few months ago showing beach road being washed away and rivers replacing pavements may have given rise to the bar stool holidays makers going elsewhere. And families are now heading to the world class beaches/town they have seen in those videos and pictures.

Central Mall parking is always chaotic on Saturday 3pm. That's the "peakest" time of the week and no indication of how busy Pattaya is in general.

Archived