Catfish! Where To Go

markr

sea fishing in thailand is rubbish due to the amount of people that eat absolutley everything that moves in the water!

the catfish in thailand are apparently huge and make for good sport,

cheers

markreed

They are huge, up to 80 kilos in the park where I went a few months ago.

But as for sport, well depends on your idea of sport I guess. Basically they latch onto a ball of bread soaked in soy milk and stuff and you haul them in and let them go.

It is not far out of Bkk, about 200b in the taxi i think from memory, heres the number.

hey mark....the best place for catfish is undoubtedly bungsam lan ..and its right in bangkok...amazing lake...the catfish go over 300lbs.

i stayed and fished with some english guys..they have a place right by the lake and use the best thai guides if you need one.it is non stop action ,getting into some really big fish.

have a look at their site..they are really flexible to your needs...even have a beer or two in the evening if you wish to stay more than a day

fishing in thailand

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this website Mark, it lists several venues around Thailand.

http://www.megafishingthailand.com/

I caught this strange looking Pla Sawai (striped catfish) just last week at Khieng Doi fishing park in Chiang Rai. As you will see it is much paler than normal and has no eyes or eye sockets :o

Anybody seen this type of thing before ?

post-11996-1162208401_thumb.jpgpost-11996-1162208428_thumb.jpgpost-11996-1162208453_thumb.jpg

ImageDude :D

my boyfriend spends most weekends out and about at different fishing parks in tonburi. he doesn't like bung sam lan all that much as he is too worried that his rod will break! he much prefers the 20-30kg range of catfish.... pm me if you want details and i can do my best to get them for you.

also, he always buys thai fishing magazines, they are all in thai of course but the fishing parks always advertise in and there are usually maps as most fishing parks i know are in the middle of nowhere!

Edited by MissAnge

Check out this website Mark, it lists several venues around Thailand.

http://www.megafishingthailand.com/

I caught this strange looking Pla Sawai (striped catfish) just last week at Khieng Doi fishing park in Chiang Rai. As you will see it is much paler than normal and has no eyes or eye sockets :o

post-11996-1162208401_thumb.jpgpost-11996-1162208428_thumb.jpgpost-11996-1162208453_thumb.jpg

ImageDude :D

Bungsam Lan in BKK, the Chayo Phraya and Bang Pakong River are good spots.

I 've got a good collection of pics I've taken from Thai fishing websites for personal reference and never seent that eyeless catfish.

Tried one of the reservoirs a few days agop near Pattaya along with a good friend of mine, not a bite. I can't wait for my truck rack to be built and installed so I can drop the boat on the Bang Pakong and Chao Phraya to find good spots. :D

Are outboard motors allowed on Bungsam Lan?

Edited by Tony Clifton

I caught this strange looking Pla Sawai (striped catfish) just last week at Khieng Doi fishing park in Chiang Rai. As you will see it is much paler than normal and has no eyes or eye sockets :D

tsk...tsk... No Sympathy at ALL for the DISABLED?!?!?!?! :D :D

just kidding.... :D

actually he's a nice sized guy... how'd he taste? :o

hi all

any ideas where the best place for catfish is aroand thailand, tours, lakes etc

any recommendations?

thanks

mark reed

If you dont mind trying further a field we used to fish the Mekong at Mukdaharn , and the Mun river above Ubon,fantastic sportfishing for big catfish using light tackle from a small boat, caused a lot of laughs with my carp pole of the banks, but the piss taking stopped when I pulled my keep net in :o Nignoy

Why cat fish? they are not good to eat.

Go out in the ocean, you will catch real fish that taste nice and you dont have to be very far out

Donz, being from the U.S., Catfish are good to eat. However, i don't think I would eat any in the waters around BK..

Regards, BD

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

I just purchased fishing equipment 2 days ago. I havent wet a line yet, but looking forward to it.

If you find a place worth fishing, or hear of anything up my way[ Ayutthaya] please let me know. I see a lot of Thais fishing the Chao Phraya, and Pa Sak rivers here. Will probably be my first try, as it is close.

If I do any good, I will let you know.

Ray