Yippeeeeeee, finally fixed my ford Ranger

garyk

I've been here on and off for years. And, bought a Ford Ranger P.U. in 2009. Ran perfect for about two years then started to run rough and would occasionally die for no reason.

Took it to the Ford dealer and they said it needed a new fuel rail? So, I bought a new one and it did not solve the problem. Ford would not give me my money back by the way?

That was about 3.5 yeas ago and have been to several different Ford dealers and they all said the same thing, new fuel rail.

I even had one dealer order it and install it with the condition that if it didn't fix it I would not pay. Well it did not fix it and I did not pay.

Fast forward to now. I did a little research on it and found a good schematic on the common rail fuel system. After digesting all I was able to digest. I took the covers off and started looking around. And Viola, I found a hint of a fuel leak. I cranked the truck and sure enough after leaving the fuel rain on the return line there was a small fuel leak.

I did not want to break anything so I then took it to a Ford dealer and showed them the leak. It turned out to be a small O-ring that connected to the return fuel line. The guy had an old one and put it on and WHAM, it smoothed out and runes just like new... Total cost was 230 baht.

Happy day for me.

Just for reference the Ford dealers would hook up a computer to the truck and would diagnose the problem as a bad fuel rail without even checking the other components. After the last three years of dealing with them I am rather disappointed to say the least.

Fords and Thailand not a good mix

I have had my Ford Ranger 14 years and it has more than 330,xxx km on the clock.

Granted it needs a little more TLC now but I still get over 11kpl which ain't bad.

If I had the money would I buy another?

If I had the money I would be down at the Ford dealer today.

Yep, looks good on paper but what happens after a couple hundred thousand KM is anyones guess. One thing for sure is they look good and service is not their highpoint..

With Toyota or any other brand will be different? there is of course the first professional immediately find a fuel leak? I have not been able to Toyota tire pressure well

My Ford Ranger experience at 140k km, 12 years much the same as billd766 above. The dealer service in Phuket resulted in several very bad experiences, and winding up with very competent local dirty-hands mechanic. Great truck, inferior local service. Note that my Ford Ranger and Explorer in the USA was just superb in performance, rough mountain trail usage and dealer service.

Just for reference the Ford dealers would hook up a computer to the truck and would diagnose the problem as a bad fuel rail without even checking the other components. After the last three years of dealing with them I am rather disappointed to say the least.

That is the curse of computer diagnostics. They are only as good as the person who writes the programs. It also proves you still need to understand how it all works when the computer fails to find the real problem. Thailand does not train it's students to truly think a problem through or allow them to be curious and they don't allow them to ask questions so they don't get a complete education or, in this case, proper training.

Forgot to say I just looked at the odometer and it has 260,000 KM. It has always got me to where I was going. But, I am disappointed at the dealers for not finding a simple problem after 3 frigging years. I was pulling my hair out.

Not sure I will buy another Ford at this point. But, now that it is fixed I will drive it until the wheels fall off.. LOL

That is the curse of computer diagnostics. They are only as good as the person who writes the programs. It also proves you still need to understand how it all works when the computer fails to find the real problem. Thailand does not train it's students to truly think a problem through or allow them to be curious and they don't allow them to ask questions so they don't get a complete education or, in this case, proper training.

I agree 100%.

Forgot to say I just looked at the odometer and it has 260,000 KM. It has always got me to where I was going. But, I am disappointed at the dealers for not finding a simple problem after 3 frigging years. I was pulling my hair out.

Not sure I will buy another Ford at this point. But, now that it is fixed I will drive it until the wheels fall off.. LOL

Kudos for taking the initiative and for finding the problem clap2.gif some times it is the small victories that make your day!!

Had a similar problem with my Honda, a computer check on the fuel system showed "OK" - cost 500 baht and exactly the same problem when I drove away.( poor acceleration and a bit rough idle) The local mech took it for a drive and said the catalytic converter is done for. - new one and goes like new.

I would bet that the diagnostic said something like 'Fuel Rail Problem' Then it is up to the techs to check what and where that problem is. All it was reading was a lack of pressure - probably in the return line. But the computer will not see this. Still the same as years ago - actually now it is easier because you are pointed to the problem. Now it is up to you to find out why. This has not changed. Agree with the lack of tech savvy in the dealerships tho'

IMHO it's probably better with a lot of brands here to avoid the service departments at dealerships, and find a competent Thai mechanic. May be hard to believe; however, they are out there and if one is prepared to search threads for word of mouth recommendations it is possible to find them.

Example: After a tank fill, my Benz had a strong fuel smell in the cabin. Not pleasant. I found a recommended mechanic in Chiang Rai who works out of his house near the #2 bus station. He crawled all over the car for two hours ( had his own hydraulic hoist ) and eventually found a perished seal at the filler pipe, which he fixed on the spot. Had to dismantle the trunk interior to get at it. Problem fixed, total cost 300 baht. Somehow, I feel I would not have got out of a dealership that cheaply.

I have a OBD2 bluetooth that i connect to my car and phone. Cost around 25 euro and software for Iphone/android about 15 euro. Tells you all. Then just google the info the OBD2 gives you and cartype and i guarantee you will find common errors. have done this on many of my cars. When your car is older that 5 years never take it to dealer for service. Because most guarantee/insurance on car has already expired.

Any gramatical errors are a gift from me to you..

Mine's an Isuzu. Took it back to the dealer on Monday to have the repaired infotainment/sat nav put back, followed by a short trip up the road to a supermarket. 60 km, 3 hours max. Left the dealers, sat nav not working. Did the shopping, back to the dealers. More poking about, then, oops, forgot to put the sim card back, sorry. Set off for home and 5 km later, the wife noticed that the power socket her tablet was plugged into wasn't working. U turn, back to the dealers. Now on first name terms with half the staff. Oops, forgot to reconnect this wire. Sorted. By now lunch time. Tried a place recommended by several farang, and had an excellent meal. Things looking up. But then we got home. Wife checked the supermarket bill, which she thought was rather high, and found we'd been billed for 25 packs of sanitary towels rather than two. So another trip the next day to get a refund. But also another delicious lunch.

Mai bpen rai. Nothing more pressing to do, and we found a really good restaurant.

Good on you for finding the fault. Sorry it took so long. I have had similar experiences. Sometimes the dealer gets it right sometimes wrong.

They make mistakes just like doctors and every other professional. I have had this in so many fields where they just get it wrong.

Even I have guessed wrong with the educated guess. It happens. But never give up and keep going and you can work it out.

If you dont try yourself you will never know how hard it is to diagnose some problems.

My worst was a rough idling Toyota landcruiser. Would not idle at correct speed and would die when you braked at random times.

I spent a year trying to work it out. Computer showed no errors except low idle speed. Then one day I decided maybe some sensor is just dirty because it was so close to working. Put some carbon cleaning foam through it and it is still going strong 2 years later. It is a great feeling to finally nail the problem.

Mine's an Isuzu. Took it back to the dealer on Monday to have the repaired infotainment/sat nav put back, followed by a short trip up the road to a supermarket. 60 km, 3 hours max. Left the dealers, sat nav not working. Did the shopping, back to the dealers. More poking about, then, oops, forgot to put the sim card back, sorry. Set off for home and 5 km later, the wife noticed that the power socket her tablet was plugged into wasn't working. U turn, back to the dealers. Now on first name terms with half the staff. Oops, forgot to reconnect this wire. Sorted. By now lunch time. Tried a place recommended by several farang, and had an excellent meal. Things looking up. But then we got home. Wife checked the supermarket bill, which she thought was rather high, and found we'd been billed for 25 packs of sanitary towels rather than two. So another trip the next day to get a refund. But also another delicious lunch.

Mai bpen rai. Nothing more pressing to do, and we found a really good restaurant.

Yes you need to watch out for the scam on the minge pads.

This is, of course, nonsense.

Computer diagnostics in cars are merely a pointer to a general area, which may be comprised of many parts. It would be impossible to pinpoint a o-ring as the cause of the problem, without the OP's diligence.

A skilled technician can read the codes, and do some empirical tests to narrow down the diagnosis. Only a very poor mechanic would replace the fuel rail without investigating the exact cause.

And it has nothing to do with whoever wrote the 'software' - either for the Powertrain Control Module, or, if used, the code scanner. The PCM manages the entire engine, and, when queried, puts out standardized codes stored for any anomaly sensed in operation. Serious ones cause the 'Check Engine' light to illuminate, but less critical or transient ones are stored for later diagnostic help. Some scanners look up the codes, and interpret them to meaningful text, but do not do any diagnosis.

This is just an example of monkey-see, monkey-do at the dealer tech level. Any greasy Thai soi mechanic would be more able to diagnose this, having had to learn the trade without all the fancy tools.

Well, maybe not ANY, but there are some good ones out there...

In this case, replacing the fuel rail is silly, because it's basically just a pipe, no moving or electronic parts. A leak in the fuel return would be easily diagnosed with an eye or two, and half-a-brain.

Good on the OP for getting it done.

You guys make for a very, no: VERY tolerant couple; good on you ! ! !

clap2.gif

Do yourself a favor and get rid of it.

It is a FORD this is the main problem.sad.png

Do yourself a favor and get rid of it.

It is a FORD this is the main problem.sad.png

But it's not a Ford - it's a badge engineered Mazda ;)

I have to say that my 10 year old Ford Ranger has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Basic of course. Few bells and whistles to break down. Once the dealer warranty ran out, I moved to my local workshop where the owner epitomises the old time mechanic who yes, owns and uses the computer analyser, but only as a backup to his own judgements - and I have never found him wrong. (He even speaks English!) Compared to the troubles my neighbours have with their Vigo's and DMax's I think I have struck gold.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Ford again.

Had a similar problem with my Honda, a computer check on the fuel system showed "OK" - cost 500 baht and exactly the same problem when I drove away.( poor acceleration and a bit rough idle) The local mech took it for a drive and said the catalytic converter is done for. - new one and goes like new.

Years ago I leased a new Fiat 3P hatchback. On long trips it would drive for an hour or so and then just die. Fifteen, twenty minutes later it would start right up and run fine for another hour or so... and die again. Ran fine for short trips. Dealer replaced the carburetor, fuel pump and everything else related to fuel but no help. Finally I gave it back to the dealer. He didn't want it back but I just refused to pay for it anymore. A year or two later I was listening to a car repair show on NPR (Click and Clack, the tappet brothers); someone called in with the exact same problem. C and C immediately said it was the breather hole on the gas cap was clogged resulting in a vacuum in the gas tank which choked off the gas supply. On short trips the air could get in the tank but on long trips the gas would just choke off. You would think a pro mechanic would know this. A few years ago driving my older Honda up the hill to the Big Bhudda the car just shuddered to a stop. I instantly knew the problem; hopped out of the car, popped the gas cap to a rush and a whoosh of air and the car started right up again. Thanks Tappet Brothers!

Archived