Somtam Search Continued ...

sabaijai

Speaking of Som Tam.

Ordered one at Pratu Chiang Mai market last night, or rather, my GF did...

The problem we face most often is how to explain that we don't want it too sweet, and we have tried to come up with a Thai phrase that will capture what we need (mai tong waan maak, mai tong sai nam taan yoe na, khaw hai sai nam taan nit noi...). Anyway, this time she was so set on getting the sweetness factor right that she forgot to specify she wanted "tam thai phet paw dii" - so we got a tam lao... and they hadn't been kii niao with the chili at all - I think it was something like 7-8 of the little buggers they had squeezed in... :D

My limit is around three or four, then it is just a painful and sweaty experience, but the way I am wired I still have to eat it anyway. So that means frequent visits to the porcelain throne today.

Another good one is when my GF quite earnestly ordered a Khao Soi Muu at the Khao Soi Islam place near Chang Khlan... :D:o:D

> this time she was so set on getting the sweetness factor

> right that she forgot to specify she wanted "tam thai phet paw dii"

Seems like it's time for you two to graduate to the next level, which is watching the somtam lady like a hawk and make her show how much of everything she's putting in.. Especially the sugar (sugar cane paste), fish sauce and chillies..

> Another good one is when my GF quite earnestly ordered a

> Khao Soi Muu at the Khao Soi Islam place near Chang Khlan...

I make that mistake always with 'moo sateh'.. The thing is that Moo Sateh feels so much like the whole name of the dish, rather than the variery, that I just blurt out 'moo sateh', where in fact it's of course mostly chicken sateh (sateh kai or nuea, etc.)

One of the Muslim places in the Mosque-soi at the Night Bazar has some interesting Halal dishes adapted from Chinese it seems.. They have Chicken Sarapao & khanom jeeb, and also 'Kai Ob' (baked/stewed chicken) that's rather nice. Also extremely polite guy in the restaurant who again looked more Chinese than Muslim.. .

Does anyone know of some Muslim places have the hot orange colored tea with milk? (Teh Tarik or something in Malay). Lots of places have this as ice tea, but do they also serve it hot?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Cheers,

Chanchao