Bus carrying Chinese tourists plunges off cliff

Tywais

The Malaysian newspaper "The Star" reports 16 killed in the crash.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2015/12/20/thirteen-malaysians-killed-in-chiangmai-bus-accident/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

16 Malaysians killed in Chiang Mai tourist bus crash PETALING JAYA: Sixteen Malaysian tourists were killed and eight others injured after their chartered bus crashed into another vehicle before hitting a power poll and crashing down a ravine in Chiang Mai Sunday, police said.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the rear of the van.. "Flight of the Gibbon"..

Flight of the Bell End.

My wife was only interested in the number plate, she recorded it for some mad reason.

Sad to see so many Chinese tourists meeting their ends in CM.

It really shouldn't be happening.

According to the Bangkok Post its 30-0485

BP reports driver of bus trying to flee another vehicle that was giving chase after being hit by the bus.

You just can't make this stuff up. And they wonder why after decades of life in Thailand I only read non-fiction.

BP reports driver of bus trying to flee another vehicle that was giving chase after being hit by the bus.

You just can't make this stuff up. And they wonder why after decades of life in Thailand I only read non-fiction.

Non-fiction is good!

I don't think it is as wide-spread in Thailand as fiction is.

Fiction seems to be the modus operandi in Thailand.

I wonder what the amulet dealers/soothsayers and those that cling to their words actually read?

A terrible shame on those involved in not doing what could have been done to prevent another tragedy such as this.

Wish I'd been born in a country which didn't value life so much!

I drove by this accident this afternoon seeing the 11 bodies covered. Saw emergency vehicles coming still an hour later. I drive this route regularly. The gov't talks endlessly about how to decrease the rising number of fatalities. But they never talk about the most important issue: Teaching drivers how to respect the lane markings and no passing double yellow lines. I swear that 90% of the people driving go from shoulder to the other side of the highway from corner to corner! It makes me sooooo angry.

I understand that this accident was a brake failure, and vehicle maintenance is also a big issue. But they just don't push how important those lines on the road are!!!!! If you drive mountain roads and expect others to stay in their lanes then you are putting your life at risk.

I understand that this accident was a brake failure,

No, it was a hit and run.

Bus driver randomly hit a pickup, then drove off at speed, resulting in a pickup chasing the bus.

Bus driver lost control at speed, crashed into a Suzuki Smart while fleeing from the pickup then rolled over the side.

Well, that's what people are saying.

This is now getting a larger audience. In the past hour it was reported on Al Jazeera news hour. It also mention that Thailand has one of the worlds highest highway traffic death tolls. That ought to make some ears twitch.

It’s also continually running on the tickertape at the bottom of the screen on the Al Jazeera news bulletin every hour!

But I wish somebody like the BBC (such as panorama or something similar) or even Al Jazeera would do a one hour feature on traffic accidents in this country and try to analyse why Thailand is the second most dangerous country in the world for traffic accidents? and why Thai drivers are so impatient and inconsiderate and what can be done to help change their attitude?

There are so many questions that can be asked and addressed in a feature program and the Thai government certainly wouldn't like that concentrated worldwide publicity. In the face of the volume of cars on the roads now and the number all these dreadful traffic accidents why doesn’t the Thai government seem interested in raising driving standards? I mean the driving test here is an absolute joke and a farce compared to so many other countries. Why does nothing ever get done? Why doesn’t the minister of transport appear in public from time to time and express his horror and indignation and express determination to improve standards and curtail this carnage?

and they have plenty of cases to discuss. Just look at how many appear regardingThailand on this Al Jazeera website

http://www.aljazeera.com/Search/?q=bus%20crash%20in%20Thailand

Tourist bus crash kills 12 Malaysians in Thailand: tour group

Twelve Malaysian tourists and a Thai were killed Sunday in a bus crash in Thailand, a country with some of the world's most dangerous roads, according to information from police and a tour operator.

Investigators said the accident happened soon after midday in Doi Saket district 30 kilometres (18 miles) from the northern city of Chiang Mai.

"There are now 13 dead, eight females, five males," an officer at Doi Saket police station told AFP, asking not to be named. He added that the victims were both "Chinese Malaysian and Thai" but could not give a breakdown as investigations were continuing.

In Malaysia, tour operator Chiu Travel said it had been informed by Thai authorities that 12 Malaysians and a Thai tour guide were killed. "This is a real shock. We are all very sad," manager Terence Yung told AFP by phone from the company's office in the southern state of Johor. "We have also lost our tour leader. Some of the relatives are here. They are calm and sad. Some are crying. We are doing everything to help them."

Malaysia's foreign ministry put the number of Malaysian dead at 13. There was no immediate explanation for the discrepancy.

The ministry in a statement expressed "deepest condolences" to the family and friends of those killed.

More here - Yahoo (AFP News)

OMG, where's god, or Buddha? Can't even imagine how it must be to sit in such a bus. Now it's really time to stop the law and order bla bla and really do something that such accidents do not happen so often.

The ones who got seriously injured and will die, or already died at the hospital are never counted.

Dear good general, if you really want to do something for your folks, then go back to school and learn some basic things that buses need inspections, always brake checks, two drivers on long-distance buses and plenty of more changes.

Just talking about things that never happen, doesn't help anybody. The new agreement with China to have high-speed trains in Thailand is so scary, that it makes me speechless.

China, as a communist country doesn't allow the freedom of speech and please Google train accidents in China. Same will happen in Thailand if they really want to go for it. And the corrupt country will, of course, give a lot of cash to people who want this project.

They can't even get their very old technology running and locomotives break down on daily basis in the middle of nowhere.

It happened to me twice within only ten months that the locomotive of a train from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani had to be replaced in the middle of the night, somewhere out in the sticks.

When I see 19-year old boys, driving a huge bus full with students from our school, I'd love to stay at home. My school's only 23 km away from the city where I'm living and I see at least two accidents per week, on the way to school, or on the way back home.

That can't be the norm. I feel so sorry for the guys who've lost their beloved ones and hope that the injured ones will have a fully and speedy recovery.

And some people are using the TV to talk about some stuff that will never happen, foreign tourists in too small bikinis who deserve to get raped and other nonsense. Just to take it back after the world press starts laughing out loud.

Now it's time to blame the right people for such accidents. But then they'll have to start at the top with the good-hearted general.

And then all his minister friends who usually know nothing about what they're actually doing.....Where's the light at the end of the tunnel???

This is now getting a larger audience. In the past hour it was reported on Al Jazeera news hour. It also mention that Thailand has one of the worlds highest highway traffic death tolls. That ought to make some ears twitch.

It’s also continually running on the tickertape at the bottom of the screen on the Al Jazeera news bulletin every hour!

But I wish somebody like the BBC (such as panorama or something similar) or even Al Jazeera would do a one hour feature on traffic accidents in this country and try to analyse why Thailand is the second most dangerous country in the world for traffic accidents? and why Thai drivers are so impatient and inconsiderate and what can be done to help change their attitude?

There are so many questions that can be asked and addressed in a feature program and the Thai government certainly wouldn't like that concentrated worldwide publicity. In the face of the volume of cars on the roads now and the number all these dreadful traffic accidents why doesn’t the Thai government seem interested in raising driving standards? I mean the driving test here is an absolute joke and a farce compared to so many other countries. Why does nothing ever get done? Why doesn’t the minister of transport appear in public from time to time and express his horror and indignation and express determination to improve standards and curtail this carnage?

and they have plenty of cases to discuss. Just look at how many appear regarding Thailand on this Al Jazeera website

It is not necessarily the the fault of this or any government. The prime responsibility lies with the police for not doing the job that they are paid to do and the Dept of Land Transport for not holding proper driving tests.

If the law as rigorously enforced without fear or favour then there would be less happenings like this, but unfortunately TiT and nothing much will change.

and they have plenty of cases to discuss. Just look at how many appear regarding Thailand on this Al Jazeera website

It is not necessarily the the fault of this or any government. The prime responsibility lies with the police for not doing the job that they are paid to do and the Dept of Land Transport for not holding proper driving tests.

If the law as rigorously enforced without fear or favour then there would be less happenings like this, but unfortunately TiT and nothing much will change.

But don't you think that it's the government's fault that things like not having a proper vehicle inspection, where all vehicles come through?

Pointing out the Land Transport offices is good, but then let some heads roll and kick those out who close both eyes when they receive some cash to let an old bus pass all inspections.

Then look at the boss of all Land Transport Departments in Bangkok. You might find out that it's an Army general who's got nothing to do with the topic, because he's a soldier.

Then you'll sooner, or later find out that the number one, also called the good general, will be responsible for not being able to enforce existing laws in the country he seems to rule right now.

Somehow, you'll have to start at the top and work your way through. The cops are only a little part of the ongoing problems. IMHO -wai2.gif

But don't you think that it's the government's fault that things like not having a proper vehicle inspection, where all vehicles come through?

Pointing out the Land Transport offices is good, but then let some heads roll and kick those out who close both eyes when they receive some cash to let an old bus pass all inspections.

Then look at the boss of all Land Transport Departments in Bangkok. You might find out that it's an Army general who's got nothing to do with the topic, because he's a soldier.

Then you'll sooner, or later find out that the number one, also called the good general, will be responsible for not being able to enforce existing laws in the country he seems to rule right now.

Somehow, you'll have to start at the top and work your way through. The cops are only a little part of the ongoing problems. IMHO -wai2.gif

The Dept of Land Transport falls under the direct responsibility of the Ministry of transport which is why I said I would like to see the Minister face the camera and answer some tough questions for once bearing in mind that number 2 on the list of 6 responsibilities is stated as being

" 2. To bring down the rate of accident and improve rail and road safety "blink.png

http://www.mot.go.th/about.html?id=8

This accident, yet another involving big buses, there are a couple or more every year, but nothing changes, will be at least in part due to no regulation of drivers, some drive 16 hours or more in a day to make more money, then pop themselves up with yabba to stay awake. This much I know for a fact because a very close friend is a tour guide who is now turning down jobs involving these big buses because of the speed and danger caused by these idiot drugged up drivers.

Sadly there will be all the usual weeping and wailing, then guess what, life goes on as normal, nothing changes. In Europe all such drivers are regulated, required to take breaks after about three hours driving, even if its 30 minutes, and drivers have legally enforced limits on the number of hours they can drive in a day.

Thailand ? Not a cat in hells chance they will do similar, and even if they did, it would be ignored and not policed.

Are bus drivers and heavy goods vehicle drivers in Thailand required to have special licenses over and above the usual car driving licenses as required in the UK? For example, PSV and HGV licenses? Or do they just have to pass a test, gain a certificate and still able to use their car driving licenses?

don't be a "digital activist"......look for real answers.

whose coming with me to protest in front of bus company's headquarters??

crickets

I'ii go with you and anyone else.

Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the bus company yet.

We have had the Standard Tour buses flash their brights at us on two occasions as they crossed over the double yellow to pass two lanes of traffic just north of Mae Rim a mile or so past that busy market. All this to get customers up to the elephant camps on the Mae Taeng River as I have seen them parked up there. Always expected a head on collision in that area but it hasn't happened YET, but it will happen. Likely all the bus companies have the same level of driver expectations.

I do agree with you but this has been an ongoing problem for many years and through many governments, none of whom had bothered to do anything about it which is why Thailand is in the position it is in now. To me it is unfair to blame the current government for all the problems over the years and TBH I don't think it would make any difference whichever party is in power, be it Thaksin, Democrat, coalition of smaller parties or the military.

Something HAS to be done and I hope that the rot has not set in too deeply for Thailand to come back to a relatively normal country where the police can be trusted and respected, the army stays in its barracks, corruption is minimal and politicians are honest.

It won't happen in my lifetime as I am 71, perhaps in my wife's as she is only 50 but certainly in my 12 year old son's lifetime.

I'd have to disagree with it not being the fault of the Govt as they are ultimately the ones in charge. If they can see that laws are not being enforced then the Govt should shake up the RTP until the hierarchy/culture there is such that they actually do their job.

I live not far from that road and yesterday we saw all the emergency vehicles heading north along the highway 118, my first thoughts on seeing so many emergency vehicles was "another bus crash".

There have been an incredible number of lives lost on that road on bus crashes. Its not the road that is at fault though, its the inexperience and aggressive driving of the bus drivers.

Archived