Bungsamran to close

tomato

I don't know if this has been posted but I just heard that BSR is closing and the fish being moved to a new place in Chachensao.30000 Mekhongs will take some moving!!!!

Don't know when this is happening but I for one willmiss the place.This was the first place I fished in Thailand and I just found it incredible.

Anyone who hasn't been should go if they get the chance before it closes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was there on Monday and asked about this.

The receptionist and a guide we took knew they were opening a new pond in Chaochengsao, but did not know anything about the current place closing, at least in the near future

Apparently the new place will be an up market version, probably aimed at high-paying tourists.

Not sure how reliable the information is, but that was straight from the horses mouth (my son is bi-lingual, so no translation or understanding issues!).

• 6 months later...

Quick (and rather incomplete) update on BSR after a trip last week.

They're still open, though hurting for business if the numbers on a Sunday were any indication.

7 Seas tackle shop has moved offsite to a nearby road. (Soi 66 or Soi 68 (?) where BSR is on Soi 42) The smaller tackle shop was open, but I've never been inside.

Fishing was great as expected, and they're still tossing out some good grub if you get hungry. We had a great time.

I didn't ask about the alleged new location- my bad.

Hi all,

I was there yesterday, and saw the 7 seas shop had moved also.

Not sure what that is about at all, it could be Bunsamran is closing or just a disagreement about lease renewals etc.

In my opinion for them to move is probably a pointer to the whole place closing, as its pretty much a captive audience with parking also. It would have had to have been quite a disagreement over the lease for them to move otherwise.

Fishing was good as always, but it was very quiet customer wise, probably the fewest number of people I've ever seen there. Of course it was Tuesday in the rainy season.

We also saw a BIG (well over 1m in length) snake in the water swimming underneath out bungalow, which was a first and quite a distraction! Based on the size and my checking the colouring when I got home, it looked like it may have been a python. If so it was probably a baby python. Glad we didn't see mummy or daddy.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Spoke to the guy that seemed to be running the place today.  He said the current location will be closing around April of 2017 and they'll be moving to the new location.

If you want to fish the waters where you've seen Robson Greene, Jeremy Wade and many others fish on TV, tick tock.

We've got about 6 more months to fish the venue before it changes.  Whether the change is good or bad remains to be seen.  

BTW, the pier was packed today with some kind of tackle company sponsored event.  Still, the majority of the bungalows were empty, leading me to believe today was a flash in the pan.  Lots and lots of fish caught all around us as usual.

• 1 month later...

Will be sad to see it close, hope the replacement one has the same laid back style. It may be quicker and easier getting to the one in Chach than it sometimes is fighting though the traffic on Soi Navimin. i will certainly miss my all night fishing and beer sessions there in the villas.

• 5 months later...

So the original Bungsamran has closed,does anybody know what happened to the huge Siamese Carp and Arapaima that were resident there? I guess they may have been moved to the new site but how do you safely remove,transport and release fish weighing 100 kg or more? Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Though I guess the move was inevitable as land prices go up, looks like the new place is quite a hike further from town.  About twice as far (60 vs 30 km) for me.  Still better than shutting down completely.

13°49'7.64"N  100°56'23.93"E 

http://www.bungsamran.com

http://www.newbungsamran.com/  (If you guys are tuned in, please fix your GPS directions- you can't have 81 minutes and 87.9 seconds)

• 1 month later...
On 19/05/2017 at 11:46 AM, impulse said:

Though I guess the move was inevitable as land prices go up, looks like the new place is quite a hike further from town.  About twice as far (60 vs 30 km) for me.  Still better than shutting down completely.

13°49'7.64"N  100°56'23.93"E 

http://www.bungsamran.com

http://www.newbungsamran.com/  (If you guys are tuned in, please fix your GPS directions- you can't have 81 minutes and 87.9 seconds)

Yes I couldn't work out why I couldn't find the place on Google Earth then I realises that the had converted the co-ordinates into a decimal number. Converted it back to minutes and found a very large construction site which looked very like the shape of the new lake on the new web site.

14 hours ago, Trevor1809 said:

Yes I couldn't work out why I couldn't find the place on Google Earth then I realises that the had converted the co-ordinates into a decimal number. Converted it back to minutes and found a very large construction site which looked very like the shape of the new lake on the new web site.

I checked the coordinates I posted on Google Earth, and matched a big yellow building nearby with one that shows up in some of the website photos.

Being cynical by nature, I wonder whether there's a dark motive since the guys posting the crappy coordinates make money taking people fishing...  To be clear, I'd hire a service like theirs if I was in town on holiday and wanted a seamless, once in a lifetime fishing experience.  I once showed up at another venue on a Friday, only to find it closed that day.  Thanks goodness it was only 30 minute drive back home...  I'd have cried if it was a holiday dream trip.

Edit:  One question I have is whether they still offer the discount to residents holding work permits?  That brought the price per rod down from 2000 to 400-500 baht.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 11:46 AM, impulse said:

I checked the coordinates I posted on Google Earth, and matched a big yellow building nearby with one that shows up in some of the website photos.

Being cynical by nature, I wonder whether there's a dark motive since the guys posting the crappy coordinates make money taking people fishing...  To be clear, I'd hire a service like theirs if I was in town on holiday and wanted a seamless, once in a lifetime fishing experience.  I once showed up at another venue on a Friday, only to find it closed that day.  Thanks goodness it was only 30 minute drive back home...  I'd have cried if it was a holiday dream trip.

Edit:  One question I have is whether they still offer the discount to residents holding work permits?  That brought the price per rod down from 2000 to 400-500 baht.

Coordinates here are correct http://www.pattayafishing.net/new-bungsamran/

I went with a friend to the new Bungsamran a few weeks ago, caught several small Mekong cat fish 15-30kg and some very small Siamese carp, maybe 3kg.

I paid B400 by showing them a Thai driving licence.

• 1 month later...

Finally made it out to the new BSR, and was favorably impressed by the facilities.  A lot like the old one, but no dock running up the middle of the lake.  Fishing was still great, and the catfish seemed bigger. The guide told me the owner had stocked some bigger fish up to 200 kg.  I don't know if that's a fish story...

Also good on fishing, they pulled out more big Siamese carp in one day than I had seen in dozens of trips to the old BSR, up to about 50-60 kg that I saw.

Bad news:  Though they still charge 400 baht for locals and resident foreigners (I used my DL), they upped the fee for tourists to 4,000 baht.  A reasonable price compared to "back home" but this isn't back home.  Still, $130 for the fishing day of a lifetime is pretty cheap in real world terms.  They also offer annual memberships that seem to be all in (instead of previously, where the membership just gave you a discount as I recall)  15,000 baht is the annual fee I recall, but I don't know the terms and conditions, so don't hold me to it.

It is further out of town than the old place, but not in a crowded neighborhood so the drive actually seemed easier. The folks running the place were pleasant and patient as usual.  The bungalows looked a little nicer than before, but we fished the dock.  Bungalow next time.  Overall, a great day on the water as long as you;'re not looking for a wilderness fishing experience.

• 3 months later...
On 14-9-2017 at 8:04 PM, impulse said:

Finally made it out to the new BSR, and was favorably impressed by the facilities.  A lot like the old one, but no dock running up the middle of the lake.  Fishing was still great, and the catfish seemed bigger. The guide told me the owner had stocked some bigger fish up to 200 kg.  I don't know if that's a fish story...

Also good on fishing, they pulled out more big Siamese carp in one day than I had seen in dozens of trips to the old BSR, up to about 50-60 kg that I saw.

Bad news:  Though they still charge 400 baht for locals and resident foreigners (I used my DL), they upped the fee for tourists to 4,000 baht.  A reasonable price compared to "back home" but this isn't back home.  Still, $130 for the fishing day of a lifetime is pretty cheap in real world terms.  They also offer annual memberships that seem to be all in (instead of previously, where the membership just gave you a discount as I recall)  15,000 baht is the annual fee I recall, but I don't know the terms and conditions, so don't hold me to it.

It is further out of town than the old place, but not in a crowded neighborhood so the drive actually seemed easier. The folks running the place were pleasant and patient as usual.  The bungalows looked a little nicer than before, but we fished the dock.  Bungalow next time.  Overall, a great day on the water as long as you;'re not looking for a wilderness fishing experience.

Thanks for the write up, too bad its now too far from me. I now go to Bungplabug ik Ayuttaya as its closer to me now. Still I would go to BSR had they not moves so far away. (for me that is)

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2018 at 12:07 PM, kelboy said:

Anyone know what size line they use on their reels. Going to get a new shimano l c when I go back to the UK. All the line I buy in Sukhothai is crap. Thanks. 

I'd go 60+ on braid and 40+ on monofilament.  But that's specific to BSR.   The BSR guides frown when I pull out my 30# mono reels, but I have never been able to break 30# mono unless there were nicks in it.

I'd go no higher than 20# on mono and 30# on braid for Pilot 111 and other lure fishing areas.  And even lighter if they're skittish.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I'd go 60+ on braid and 40+ on monofilament.  But that's specific to BSR.   The BSR guides frown when I pull out my 30# mono reels, but I have never been able to break 30# mono unless there were nicks in it.

I'd go no higher than 20# on mono and 30# on braid for Pilot 111 and other lure fishing areas.  And even lighter if they're skittish.

Thanks 

25 minutes ago, kelboy said:

Thanks 

Keep in mind that one of the drivers is that the docks at BSR get crowded and fighting the fish too long keeps those around you from being able to fish.  So the polite thing to do is to overpower the fish and free up the water for others as soon as you can.  I'm not a fan of fishing that way, since I love a good fight on light tackle.  But when in Rome...

That's another benefit of renting a bungalow as opposed to fishing off the dock, especially when it's crowded.  You get more latitude in fighting the fish for awhile because you're not blocking out a big chunk of "public" water with a fighting fish.  Still, I like the camaraderie of the dock, especially if I go there alone- which is often the case if I can't find anyone who wants to go with.

• 3 weeks later...

As Impulse states 60lbs braid and 40+ mono 

I was in Bungsamran twice this month both times dissapointing catches. I had bungalow nr 2. Later I spoke with one of the guides that is a friend of mine. He told me the bungalows 15-20 are better (but 2000 bt) and that now you can also fish with bread because lam is not always working.

I had a nice day today but would have liked a few more fish (i had 2 gf 0) previous time I had 2 gf had 3. Those are for me the lowest numbers i ever had in BSR.

12 hours ago, robblok said:

I was in Bungsamran twice this month both times dissapointing catches. I had bungalow nr 2. Later I spoke with one of the guides that is a friend of mine. He told me the bungalows 15-20 are better (but 2000 bt) and that now you can also fish with bread because lam is not always working.

I had a nice day today but would have liked a few more fish (i had 2 gf 0) previous time I had 2 gf had 3. Those are for me the lowest numbers i ever had in BSR.

That's why I usually go against my personal grain and hire a guide for 1000 baht- at least after I've been absent a while.  They figure they'll get a better tip if I catch fish- and they are correct. 

In the old BSR, I leaned your same lesson one day because a buddy's company driver is a serious fisherman.  I arrived before them one day and took the bungalow the front desk gave me- not knowing any better.  When he arrived, he went to the front desk, chided them a little for giving me a crappy spot, and moved us over to his preferred location where he put us on a ton of fish that day.  The location they gave me was near a corner, and hemmed in on both sides so I could barely get off a cast.  Lesson learned.

BTW, I'm back in BKK for a few weeks and would be interested in meeting up to fish BSR, Pilot 111 or any venue around Bangkok.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

That's why I usually go against my personal grain and hire a guide for 1000 baht- at least after I've been absent a while.  They figure they'll get a better tip if I catch fish- and they are correct. 

In the old BSR, I leaned your same lesson one day because a buddy's company driver is a serious fisherman.  I arrived before them one day and took the bungalow the front desk gave me- not knowing any better.  When he arrived, he went to the front desk, chided them a little for giving me a crappy spot, and moved us over to his preferred location where he put us on a ton of fish that day.  The location they gave me was near a corner, and hemmed in on both sides so I could barely get off a cast.  Lesson learned.

BTW, I'm back in BKK for a few weeks and would be interested in meeting up to fish BSR, Pilot 111 or any venue around Bangkok.

HI,

Its now almost my busy period will have to see how this week goes but maybe Saturday. Will let you know more soon.

Hi 

thanks for all the great tips, I am having trouble getting 60kg braid if someone can put 

me in the wright direction. Thanks again 

Kelvin 

On 03/04/2018 at 4:32 PM, kelboy said:

Hi 

thanks for all the great tips, I am having trouble getting 60kg braid if someone can put 

me in the wright direction. Thanks again 

Kelvin 

Its 60 LBS not 60 KG and 60 lbs should be available.. you could even buy it at bungsamran itself.

• 3 months later...
On 9/14/2017 at 8:04 PM, impulse said:

Went out there a few times this year. One thing I love about the Bungalows is that the big fish are near (especially at night) and they feed on the bait that comes off from cleaning the coil feeders (slamming it on the water over and over). Once theyre drawn in and you see them moving through the rick husk cloud, grab another rod with just a straight hook to the line, bait it up tight ball around the hook and throw it in the water around the cloud, and let it drop down naturally. If in 15 seconds of hitting the bottom theres not a hit, softly reel it back in and drop it back into same spot. 

Archived