Bread making fundamentals

Kenny202

Anyone living in Khon kaen, just found a bakery supply shop basically next door to Fairy Plaza on the Klang Mueang road. Looking at the plaza from the front, it's on the lh side next to a CD shop. Had most accessories and all the flours discussed. Cheap too

Thanks Kenny -- I found it about 10 years ago.

Anyone living in Khon kaen, just found a bakery supply shop basically next door to Fairy Plaza on the Klang Mueang road. Looking at the plaza from the front, it's on the lh side next to a CD shop. Had most accessories and all the flours discussed. Cheap too

ungrateful old b$trd :-)

Old, anyway.

Old, anyway.
I was going to retract the old comment haha

Nailed the bread this morning. Soft and delicious on the inside and super crispy crust. Big knead for 10 minutes. Let the first rise go for 2 hours, knocked down and put in the loaf tin for another 2 hours. In the oven 220 c for 10 minutes and down to 180 for a further 15 minutes. Thai missus is on her 8th thick slab with butter and vegemite

• Like 2

Only of local interest but the newish Friendship "bakeries and cafes" shop in Pattaya Tai has quite a wide selection of packaged speciality flours. I bought a 1kg bag of "sour dough flour" for 110B and will be interested to see how it turns out (apparently it contains some deactivated starter: just add water, yeast and salt, and prove three times). They had various other types of flours: ryes, mixed grains, T45, T55, T85, wholemeals etc. and various cake/muffin mixes in commercial sizes, and a good selection of nuts and grains at eye-watering prices.

The whole point is to save money.

110bht a kg ......... why not DIY.

Anyway,

Just trying my first bread made with a food mixer.

Mixing was pretty quick, those dough hooks move a lot faster than my hands.

Never used it before, cos I couldn't be bothered with the extra clean up.

Proving now.

Anyway,

Proving now.

gone hi tech Joe? Where'd u get Ur mixer?

Anyway,

Proving now.

gone hi tech Joe? Where'd u get Ur mixer?

Lazada, only cheap (Irmaflex 309), not sure it's gonna last long if I made dough with it.

Nearly done now, much better rise than my hand mixed bread and in half the time.

But the dough was softer and harder to shape.

Bigger bubbles

post-233622-0-72826500-1452500051_thumb.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I'm all for saving money but this looked interesting so I just thought I would try it to see what it does. I normally pay 150B for 1.5kg of flour from the UK anyway, though this surely wont be organic like that is.

I'm all for saving money but this looked interesting so I just thought I would try it to see what it does. I normally pay 150B for 1.5kg of flour from the UK anyway, though this surely wont be organic like that is.

I'm more interested in it being a Sour Dough mix.

Some of my favorite breads are Sour Dough French Long. Soft, like a pillow.

Sour yeasts are something I have yet to perfect.

Well, that was interesting. Definitely a pronounced sour dough taste and texture. I was surprised by the wetness of the dough (400g of water for 500g of flour); you cant use your hands with that and you have to spoon it out. I followed the printed recipe carefully, adding exactly the right amount of salt, but the end result tasted quite salty to me. Maybe it was just the extra sour dough flavour coming through.

Total rising time 3 hours (3 times 1 hour), and 7 minutes mixing. The recipe even stipulated how many minutes mixing with a spiral mixer or with a paddle mixer.

Worth 110B for the experience, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a lot better results now through longer kneading and a longer second rise (2 hours). I am getting a really good rise before the bread goes in the oven but I notice it doesn't rise any further in the oven? Is this normal. I put the loaf in initially at 220c and after 10 minutes or so back off to about 180. Cooking time around 30 mins. Sound about right?

Incidentally I ended up buying an Andrew James mixer from the UK ebay. Ended up costing about 8000 THB (even after paying duty twice!)

Far better than anything I could buy for the price here. Extremely strong motor. Every bit the equal of a Kitchenaid

The biggest improvement to my bread making is activating my yeast before adding the flour etc, it has made a huge difference.

pretty much do that. Put my yeast in medium to hot water with a teaspoon of sugar for 10 mins then add to flour. It's definitely active as the dough nearly triples when proving. I just thought it would rise even more in the oven

I put my flour, yeast, salt, sugar and butter into a food mixer for a few minutes before changing the paddles for dough hooks.

I then add warm water and mash it all about until it looks about right then put into a plastic bowl for a couple of hours to let it rise. When it is over twice its size, I flour the board, tip the dough out and use a couple of plastic paddles to get it more or less into shape. I don't knead the dough. I then cut it into 6 pieces and put the dough into 6 spring-foil baking tins on baking parchment.

Chuck them into a preheated fan assisted oven at about 150C for 25 to 30 minutes and then I have six rolls cooked to my taste.

Too hot and the top burns, too long and I can use them as cannon balls.

Have a great week.

• Like 1

I put my flour, yeast, salt, sugar and butter into a food mixer for a few minutes before changing the paddles for dough hooks.

I then add warm water and mash it all about until it looks about right then put into a plastic bowl for a couple of hours to let it rise. When it is over twice its size, I flour the board, tip the dough out and use a couple of plastic paddles to get it more or less into shape. I don't knead the dough. I then cut it into 6 pieces and put the dough into 6 spring-foil baking tins on baking parchment.

Chuck them into a preheated fan assisted oven at about 150C for 25 to 30 minutes and then I have six rolls cooked to my taste.

Have a great week.

Try adding a bit of baking powder. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking_powder)

"......used for increasing the volume and lightening the texture of baked goods."

• Like 1

Have a great week.

Try adding a bit of baking powder. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking_powder)

"......used for increasing the volume and lightening the texture of baked goods."

I never thought of that.

Thank. I will try that later this week when I make a fresh batch.

My bread is nice and rising and all that but still a heavy sort of loaf. I'd really like to get tgat lovely light airy texture

Me too.

My bread is nice and rising and all that but still a heavy sort of loaf. I'd really like to get tgat lovely light airy texture

Steaming it makes it a lot lighter.

Stick a bowl of water in the oven with the bread.

Seems to be 2 schools of thought on oven temp. Some say hot 220 degrees c....others say 150-180 degrees?

From my own experience using a table top fan assisted oven I have found that the hotter the oven the harder the top crust is.

I am using a recipe "borrowed" from here called Dario's buns (Sorry Dario) but I have modified it to suit me.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/864523-keeping-bread-tasty/

I have tried quite a few recipes from online but at the moment this one works for me.

Seems to be 2 schools of thought on oven temp. Some say hot 220 degrees c....others say 150-180 degrees?

From my own experience using a table top fan assisted oven I have found that the hotter the oven the harder the top crust is.

I am using a recipe "borrowed" from here called Dario's buns (Sorry Dario) but I have modified it to suit me.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/864523-keeping-bread-tasty/

I have tried quite a few recipes from online but at the moment this one works for me.

I am finding that and my oven is quite small (42L) which even on the bottom shelf is still quite close to the top element. I'll give Ur recipe a go