Koh Tao verdict expected on Dec 24

webfact

Koh Tao verdict expected on Dec 24
The Nation

KOH SAMUI: -- A team of pro-bono lawyers representing two Myanmar migrant workers accused of the rape and murder of a female British tourist and the murder of a British male tourist on Koh Tao is anxiously awaiting the verdict, scheduled for December 24.

They called on the court to dismiss the case.

In a statement released today, they insisted that the two workers - Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo - were innocent. They stressed that the case questioning and charging of the accused prior to prosecution was unlawful. The accused were also tortured to confess. There is no link between the alleged murder weapon (a hoe) and the accused. Circumstantial evidence was unreliable.

Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were murdered on September 15, 2014. Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo were arrested on October 2.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Koh-Tao-verdict-expected-on-Dec-24-30275353.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-21

----------------------

Koh Tao Murders: Defense Asserts Innocence as Judgment Looms
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14506798541450680150l.jpg
In this Oct. 3, 2014, file photo, police presented Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo to a crowd of reporters on Tao island.

BANGKOK — Lawyers representing two Burmese men accused of murdering a pair of British backpackers in southern Thailand last year called again for their acquittal acquittal last night, four days before the verdict is read.

Repeating their central arguments throughout the four-month trial, lawyers for Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo said in a statement Sunday night that the evidence against them is deeply flawed, and that their confessions were obtained under torture.

“All of this evidence was not collected, tested or analysed in accordance with internationally accepted standards such as ISO 17025,” the statement said. “This evidence should not be considered as satisfying beyond reasonable doubt that the accused violently raped and murdered the female deceased or murdered the male deceased.”

The two Burmese migrant workers, who are both 22, were accused of murdering British tourists David Miller and Hannah Witheridge on Koh Tao on Sep. 15, 2014.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1450679854

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-12-21

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My heart tells me these guys are innocent. I understand that the victims' families want a conviction and closure, but I also hope that they remember that two wrongs don't make a right, and they'll just have to accept that the culprits are probably untouchable because they're protected by power.

On absolutely no grounds whatsoever these burmese chaps are toast. It'll be appealed for sure but they'll spend years inside before some court somewhere does the right thing.

I hope am wrong but there is a mountain of issues now ongoing much more high profile and this'll become merely another sick travesty of justice borne out of face maintenance

A post in violation of the following has been removed:

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.
You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.
6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.
Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.
11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

lets not clutter up this thread with predictions and theories, wait until the verdict is released then we can comment

So nobody should post on this thread for the next 3 days?

basically yes, try doing a search on the forum and you will find hundreds of posts on the topic many of which just go in circles repeating the same stuff over and over, as of right now we know nothing more since the last thread on the topic was closed - so yes wait 3 days and we might just have something new to discuss

I wouldn't take the opposite side of a bet for anything by conviction, regardless of the truth of the matter.
I'm assuming this is a trial by tribunal and not a jury trial where the assumption of innocence and guilt beyond a reasonable doubt are factored into the verdict. ermm.gif

lets not clutter up this thread with predictions and theories, wait until the verdict is released then we can comment

That's exactly what a forum is for: To discuss the events. That also includes estimating the outcome. Otherwise, the mods could just make this a closed thread. But, it's open for comment and conjecture.

Once the verdict is in, I'm sure a new thread will be opened, and this thread will grind to a stop.

On the flip side, there is nothing like the presence of a self-professed 'authority figure' barking orders to other forum members to motivate me to do the exact opposite. Many people who leave their own countries are not necessarily the 'obedient follower' types. Just saying...whistling.gif

So nobody should post on this thread for the next 3 days?

basically yes, try doing a search on the forum and you will find hundreds of posts on the topic many of which just go in circles repeating the same stuff over and over, as of right now we know nothing more since the last thread on the topic was closed - so yes wait 3 days and we might just have something new to discuss

Do not argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

On absolutely no grounds whatsoever these burmese chaps are toast. It'll be appealed for sure but they'll spend years inside before some court somewhere does the right thing.

I hope am wrong but there is a mountain of issues now ongoing much more high profile and this'll become merely another sick travesty of justice borne out of face maintenance

I agree 100% and also fear that face maintenance will prevail....... sick!

I fear the date has been chosen so that an unpopular verdict will will have the least impact with Farangs who will be otherwise distracted concentrating on their Christmas festivities.

Could be right. But I suspect it's more likely that day has been chosen as it coincides with the General announcing the list of achievements by the government. Guess which story might lead in the Thai media?.

Reminder: The Law

"The judgment of Thai courts may not be criticized. The maximum jail sentence for the offence is seven years."

It's not the Burmese boys on trial, it's the Thai police that's on trial in the rest of the world's eyes.Ultimately, it the leader, Prayood that will make the final decision. We all know that he's already made his decision so in fact the whole thing is just a formality. Having lived here for 30 years, i accept the way it works but there will be a lot of unhappy keyboard warriors on 24th Dec.

My heart tells me these guys are innocent. I understand that the victims' families want a conviction and closure, but I also hope that they remember that two wrongs don't make a right, and they'll just have to accept that the culprits are probably untouchable because they're protected by power.

And why December 24th ?????

They are stupid and think that all Farang will not notice

I'm sure that most TV members agree with you, Inn. I'm also sure the victims' families want a conviction, yes, but not a travesty of justice. If that's what happens in the end, I think it could ony add to their suffering.

24 December ... Well, let's just hope and pray that a miracle can happen on such a date ...

Reminder: The Law

"The judgment of Thai courts may not be criticized. The maximum jail sentence for the offence is seven years."

Well, I guess when the verdict comes in, the mods are going to be busy cleaning up that thread. whistling.gif

Archived