Work And Visas In Thailand

Now then everyone!

I plan to move to Chiang Mai in December this year to live and hopefully get a job teaching English. I was wandering what the deal is with being paid, and do you need a special visa to work legally? Last time I visited I just got the 28 day stamp at the airport, but dont fancy doing a visa run every month, even if you can work without a proper working visa.

Also, can anyone recommend a good company to do my TEFL course with in Chiang Mai. Any advice would be greatfully recieved :o

Now then everyone!

I plan to move to Chiang Mai in December this year to live and hopefully get a job teaching English. I was wandering what the deal is with being paid, and do you need a special visa to work legally? Last time I visited I just got the 28 day stamp at the airport, but dont fancy doing a visa run every month, even if you can work without a proper working visa.

Also, can anyone recommend a good company to do my TEFL course with in Chiang Mai. Any advice would be greatfully recieved :o

I'm in a similar situation...Here's one that I found:

http://www.teflteachthai.com/TrainingSites_ChiangMai.html

Presently over the border here there are rumors circulating that work permits won’t be issued or that the Thai government will prevent visa runs. This may be old news to you but that’s the ‘word’ around here. Consequently many teachers think that there’ll be a huge influx of teachers from Thailand to Cambodia flooding the ESL job market.

But so far I’ve yet to see hordes of disillusioned English Teachers From Bangkok fighting there way over the Poi Pet border crossing.