Thai Immigration nab 110 foreigners in overstay, criminal cases

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Thai immigration defense I must say that this is only the very tip of the iceberg... there're many

thousands more like them lurking around unlawfully, and those over stayers are not exactly

up standing foreigners contributing to the Thai economy or society... They're only here to take, not to give...

And all the rest here legally, all 'upstanding foreigners'? You are kidding me, right?

Well there certainly is NOT 108 people in that photo.

I see 11 people (not including those standing who are clearly immigration officials) and 10 of those are black or dark skinned. Does that not seem odd to anyone ? May I suggest more than a little racial profiling going on here.

Not really... I don't suppose it's possible that the largest proportion of overstayers here are ''black or dark skinned'' and is over 90% of overstayers.... or at least in the prime tourist areas and further more looking suspiciously like they're up to no good.

Police just target where they will get the best results... nothing to do with racial profiling.

Good job, they should have started earlier to clean out the people that can't take the time to get correct visas, everyone that have a clean back ground can get a proper Visa, yes it cost money but it helps keeping unwanted people out. Next I hope they hit the language schools that so many uses to be able to stay and work illegally in the country. It just destroy for us that do the right thing and follow the immigration laws.

They are visiting schools. They came yesterday to our school in samut praksn. If you don't have proper documentation to teach beware.they caught one teacher from USA with no work permit. He was teaching with a tourist visa

The police came to our village two days ago and took photo copies of each foreigner's passport with the main page and the visa page plus the stamp. Was all arranged by our Kamnan as the PYB passed away two months ago. The Kamnan who is in charge of all 16 villages has been asked to gather all those details of all foreigners.

They visited each individual residence? Or did they stop people at the market? Where is this village?

Sakon Nakhon - The Kamnan assistant came to each individual home and asked everyone that has foreigners at their home (including Lao) to come to the residence of the Kamnan with their passports. I went with my lady and boy. In our village we are all clean with visas as any foreigner that comes to stay in our village will have to provide a passport copy and visa page to the PYB and this rules have been in our village for the past 5 years already.

They are visiting schools. They came yesterday to our school in samut praksn. If you don't have proper documentation to teach beware.they caught one teacher from USA with no work permit. He was teaching with a tourist visa

God help your students.

Schools in Thailand do not employ invisable friends if they have a work permit or not.

He can not help!

Tell me why the school where you teach; hired someone without a work permit. OR why they did not help him get one, when they hired him ???

Because most schools to not have the where with all to make the paperwork for a Non B and Work Permit, they have no experience whatsoever... You are native English speaker...you want job?

I got sick and tired of educating school directors as to the paper work required by Thai Consulates for Non B's and the paper work required by the MOE for a work permit. Since a Thai has never had to do this himself how could you expect him to to this for a foreigner.

After the other immigration "crackdowns" over the past year, anyone who did not see this coming is just plain stupid!

I expect them to get even more serious about it in the future.

Maybe they will even start arresting light skinned Europeans, Americans, Australians and the like as well!

After the other immigration "crackdowns" over the past year, anyone who did not see this coming is just plain stupid!

I expect them to get even more serious about it in the future.

Maybe they will even start arresting light skinned Europeans, Americans, Australians and the like as well!

More serious about drug trafficking masterminds, and those on charges of attempted murder, robbery, fraud and money laundering?

I expect they were already serious about that.

They're looking for people that commit actual serious crimes, not for people on overstay who just chill out and live a normal life (although on Thaivisa that's the crime of the century).

Tell me why the school where you teach; hired someone without a work permit. OR why they did not help him get one, when they hired him ???

SOP for many low quality International schools. Cuts costs - until they are busted, anyway.

In the Thai immigration defense I must say that this is only the very tip of the iceberg... there're many

thousands more like them lurking around unlawfully, and those over stayers are not exactly

up standing foreigners contributing to the Thai economy or society... They're only here to take, not to give..

seems a little over the top, what exactly do tourists with visas give but not take that these people dont? sure these people are breaking a law but Im pretty sure most of them pay for their food and rent like normal people

I see 11 people (not including those standing who are clearly immigration officials) and 10 of those are black or dark skinned. Does that not seem odd to anyone ? May I suggest more than a little racial profiling going on here.

This is a typical leftist knee-jerk comment. I'm sure if there were any white westerners caught in the sweep, the immigration would've gladly put them in the photo.

The Africans and East Asians are known for overstaying their visas for years. Some westerners overstay their Visa's too, but there seems to be a smaller proportion of westerners who congregate in large groups and overstay their visas for that long.

I know one American that has been here on overstay for something like 6 years now. He is not of the brown or black persuasion though....funny that....

So what's the point? Are you assuming if he was dark that they would've rounded him up? Feeling politically correct today? Westerners are busted and fined for overstay all the time. They just have to get caught.

French police made arrests in Rayong?????, Voila! Thees ees ow real poleeece doo do there job Monsieur Somchai.

It was Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau's hard work that solved this case and led to his arrest by Clouseau. It was in a small Ruem in Rayong.

Yes it possible that racial profiling may be occurring.

I'm know that I am setting myself up for ridicule but is it safe to say that you don't look like what you refer to as "those ...black or dark skinned" people?

I do however think it is safe to say that "white skinned" people are a minority in this part of the world and that it wouldn't be odd at all to find fewer non-white skinned people in the photograph or in the halls of detention.

Pick just about any university and check their part-time roster.

Because most schools to not have the where with all to make the paperwork for a Non B and Work Permit, they have no experience whatsoever... You are native English speaker...you want job?

I got sick and tired of educating school directors as to the paper work required by Thai Consulates for Non B's and the paper work required by the MOE for a work permit. Since a Thai has never had to do this himself how could you expect him to to this for a foreigner.

And I guess the MoE is sick and tired of you going there for a work permit, when they are issued by the Ministry of Labour !

Who says all 108 are supposed to be in the same photo? As to skin color: the article does not state where the other "nationals" are from.

Maybe a little racial profiling is not such a bad idea. It would at least help identify immigrants who present a particular risk to a country. Islamic fundamentalists, for example. Or potential rapists.

Just ask the Swedes.

Like the rest of Europe, racial profiling is not allowed in Sweden. That's why, until somebody got hold of the official crime statistics for rape and did some analysis based on race, the public never knew that the huge increase in the incidence of rape and other sexual assaults was caused almost entirely by young male immigrants from Muslim countries.

Their presence transformed Sweden from one of the safest countries for women into the rape capital of Europe - and probably the world, on a per capita basis. Hence the Swedes new, tougher stance on immigration.

From the figures quoted in the newspaper article, it is clear that young men from Muslim countries such as Pakistan and India (yes, I know India has a big Hindu population, too), with a reputation for treating their women abominably, constitute a large proportion of those arrested in the round-up.

If I were a Thai woman I would definitely be celebrating their apprehension and,imminent deportation along with the rest of these scumbag lawbreakers, who help give all foreigners with a legitimate presence in LOS a bad name

Archived