Lets Have A Dog Breed Thread

macb

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He was a persistant little bugger that one. I think his owners crapped themselves when they saw what he was up to (well at least trying too) because after they looked over our fence and caught him in the act, they kept him locked-up indoors afterwards and we never saw him again laughin_ani.gif

• 1 month later...
If this is done for cosmetic reasons, I think it is disgusting, if it is done for Dog fighting purposes, I think it is depraved.

Mossfinn

My dogs ears are cropped neither for cosmetic reasons (to make them look mean) and especially not for dog fighting. Personally anyone who uses dogs for the so-called sport of "dog fighting" need to be thrown into a pit and see what it feels like to fight for your life.

I know many people are against the practice of ear-cropping and tail docking but many of them don't understand that if done by a qualified person, it is not painful or traumatizing for the animal. I've got photos of my dogs undergoing an ear-crop as well as photos of them waking up, and they are definitely not in any pain. As for tail-docking - read this article. Anyone who owns a rott knows how fast and hard they wag their little stumps. I hate to imagine the damage they'd inflict if our rotts had tails. A whack across the head from a dogo tail is bad enough but a rotty tail whack could be deadly :D

It is a lot more traumatizing and painful for the dog to have their ears ripped open by thorns of trees/plants while running through them or ripped apart by the teeth or tusks of the animal they hunt. (For all those people against hunting I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR your opinions or thoughts on the subject... Heard it all before and I just have the time to go into the hunting debate :o )

Dogos are used for hunting boar widely in Argentina, the usa, Korea and European countries (where hunting is not banned). They are also used for hunting of puma in Argentina.

The role of the dogo in hunting is not to kill what they are hunting but to hold it (pin) down by the neck until the hunters catches up and kills it with a knife.

Why do it at all? Two reasons being for working purposes and breed conformation in show dogs. In regards to my dogs, they are a hunting breed and I want my them to look as their breed standard requires them to look.

Having their ears cropped has also come in handy when my dogs play rough with each other, and the few occasions they've had some pretty ugly fights between each other. It's also for this reason that my dogs wear thick collars (not to make them look tough like many people assume) - but to protect their throats from rough play or fighting. Because of their natural hunting instinct when they play my dogs have a tendency to try and drag each other around by the throat. Our male will usually drag our female around by throat while she lies there with her legs up in the air like it's some big game, which I suppose it is for them. But because they have a very high pain threshold, they don't feel it when one cuts through the skin - so we now keep their thick collars on to keep their necks nice and smooth, as well as making it easier for them to grip onto each other when they decide to play like that.

Please don't turn this into a crop/dock/hunt bashing thread. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs but this is not the time nor place for it :D:D

:D

• 3 weeks later...
BUMP... In the name of DOG.. I couldn't find this thread for ages, So i've bumped it to make it easier to find

WEll KAYO why dint you ask :o

Now I will bump it again for you:

The Topic is going well, there are some great pics here of all your dogs keep it going

I apologize, I apologize profusely *bowing* *scraping*

I don't really have a dog, but I thought that I might be the only person in the world who has an Easter Bunny, so I want to place his picture here:

post-39020-1178153237_thumb.jpg

I apologize, I apologize profusely *bowing* *scraping*

I don't really have a dog, but I thought that I might be the only person in the world who has an Easter Bunny, so I want to place his picture here:

:o:D:D