Lets Have A Dog Breed Thread

macb

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Our Dogo Argentino's - a male called Kostya and a female, Zoe.

kostya.jpg

kosandangel.jpg

zoe.jpg

Totally awesome dogs and unbelievably protective of our daughter too.

Don't think we could own any other breed after owning dogos....

Rotts are a very close second though.

Here were our first dogo Casper and last rott, Nasser together and best of friends.

nas01_111.jpg

YIKES!!!!

That's not the kind of dog I'd want anywhere near my kids.

Like, you get children over to play, then some kid gets in an argument with your kid and then the dog bites the kid to shreds.. nice.

Edited by chanchao

YIKES!!!!

That's not the kind of dog I'd want anywhere near my kids.

Like, you get children over to play, then some kid gets in an argument with your kid and then the dog bites the kid to shreds.. nice.

One thing about being a responsible a dog owner is knowing your breed, and knowing how protective they are of us and our daughter - they are always fenced and locked in the back away from any visitors. Better to be safe than to be sorry I think.

BTW - dogs (regardless of breed) should never be left unattended around children. Children can be pretty cruel to them sometimes :o

Di

Our Dogo Argentino's - a male called Kostya and a female, Zoe.

kostya.jpg

kosandangel.jpg

zoe.jpg

Totally awesome dogs and unbelievably protective of our daughter too.

Don't think we could own any other breed after owning dogos....

Here were our first dogo Casper and last rott, Nasser together and best of friends.

nas01_111.jpg

A good looking Rott!

Are they both males or a female and male one!

Gerd

> BTW - dogs (regardless of breed) should never be left unattended around

> children. Children can be pretty cruel to them sometimes

Yeah, our dog saw it coming and took off after we had a baby. :o

Anyway, if anyone sees her, this is her:

post-6796-1171341861_thumb.jpg

You'll know it's her because she's stupider than a pig's bottom. How on earth get this breed a reputation for being smart.

i hope she found a better place

Yesss.. that's our hope/expectation also. The beast was never short of loving attention from total strangers anyways. Like we would tie it to a pole while going shopping or seeing a temple or such, and when returning someone would have supplied water and meatballs. :o Thais have a weak spot for Golden Retrievers it seems, and this one is particularly non-threatening, being quite small for the breed. (even small for a bitch) Guess that was a result of not getting fed enough as a puppy. Sigh... I miss her..

May get another dog if the opportunity arises, we have a maid now, and are less worried that the baby could drop dead at any second, so more attention available now.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

Huh. Only had Thai dogs and a thrown-away Lab. They all loved kids and friends. Only hated Thai grownup males with machetes and anyone that shouted. Never fenced a dog in my life, and never will.

Heh, mine loved *everyone*, period. Even smelly homeless bums with black faces carrying a big bag, the type that drives Thai dogs WAY beyond nuts. But that Golden Retriever would greet that person just the same as family members. :-))) Like I said earlier, UTTERLY useless dogs, those.

My dogs were not useless. Kept lowlifes away, protected my home especially at night, and all and sundry knew the home was mine because my dogs guarded it. Never locked my doors, never had a breakin, and never worried about weirdos coming round.

Agree. Sometimes it can be a little wearing having 30-odd dogs in and around the house, but they are the best security ever! Nobody, but nobody is going to risk walking past them to get to me or my house!!

nas01_111.jpg

A good looking Rott!

Are they both males or a female and male one!

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

Yes these 2 were both males. Under normal circumstances, we wouldn't have got a male dogo while we had our rott but our male was unbelievably placcid and loving for an intact male, that we decided to chance future dominance issues and for us it was well worth it as they were the best of friends right until the end. Our dogo passed away a few months afterwards from an immune-related problems but I also think that a broken heart just sped up his illness and finally his death.

Nasser was the only pup born in his mothers last litter so we decided to keep him. We never bothered getting papers done for him as we didn't plan on breeding him but if you're interest in his bloodlines, here's a link to his parents Pedigrees . He was a very big boy (80kg) and his brothers and sisters from Kits previous litter were also very large rotts, who all did well in the dog shows in Australia until they reached the open classes where they were all too big for the (judging) breed standard.

We brought both Nasser and Kitty to Thailand from Australia in 1999. Kitty (his mother) passed away in 2001 aged 11 and Nasser passed away from bone cancer in 2004 aged 8 :o Everyone that met Nasser couldn't beleive how friendly he was and he made so many friends (once they got over their inital fear of his size) while we had our gym on Beach Road, where he was a regular there.

kit01_103.jpg

kit01_105.jpg

Nasser and his mum, Kitty in Australia

nas01_112.jpg

nas01_119.jpg

nas01_108.jpg

Best friends in Thailand

nas01_114.jpg

Towards the end (after one Nassers treatments on the cancer on his leg) - Casper was always by his big brothers side.

Di

Here are our 2 kids!

Poompuy is from Alaska, we brought him with us when we moved to LOS. He is a mutt (Lab crossed with Great Dane we think??) He has adjusted to Thailand weather better that I thought after loosing about 10lbs. of hair first though!

And the new addition Ginger the spicy Rotty. They are instant best friends.

post-14494-1171766084_thumb.jpgpost-14494-1171766141_thumb.jpgpost-14494-1171767206_thumb.jpg

post-14494-1171766700_thumb.jpg

Does your mutt eat lying down (on his belly) with his food bowl in between his front paws ?

He eats standing up...why do you ask?

Just curious as many dogo argentino owners have their dogs eating in that position (like all 3 of ours had/and do) and we were just trying to trace back to which of the 10 breeds that make up the dogo also shares and may have inherited this weird quirk from. So far we've come to the conclusion that the great dane is where they've gotten this from as our friends dane does this, as well as other peoples danes and dane crosses also do this. Just a little thing that we find interesting and trying to solve the some of the mysteries of "why are dogs do some of the weird things they do" :o

Does your mutt eat lying down (on his belly) with his food bowl in between his front paws ?

Just curious as many dogo argentino owners have their dogs eating in that position (like all 3 of ours had/and do) and we were just trying to trace back to which of the 10 breeds that make up the dogo also shares and may have inherited this weird quirk from. So far we've come to the conclusion that the great dane is where they've gotten this from as our friends dane does this, as well as other peoples danes and dane crosses also do this. Just a little thing that we find interesting and trying to solve the some of the mysteries of "why are dogs do some of the weird things they do" :o

Two of my Thai dogs do the same, so doubt it is breed specific. And no, my dogs are not mixed breed anything, just 100% dog :D

some very large (tall) dogs eat laying down since the bowl is otherwise too low down, unless u raise the bowl , a good suggestion for those that suffer from torsion; meat and bones are held between forepaws and 'guarded' while laying down also...

Nope, mine aren't particularly tall. Just lazy I think :o

Its the dog on the top of the photo and the dog on the bottom of the photo. Their sister, the one in the middle, is the largest of the 3 and she always eats standing up.

post-4641-1171961941_thumb.jpg

To be honest Great Dane is a guess only, every vet we went to in the states gave us a different guess on his lineage but Great Dane seemed to come up the most often. He was a pound puppy, we rescued him from the animal shelter, we actually went there to look for a rabbit because the wife didn't like dogs but he was so cute he won her over in 5 minutes. But with a mug like this how could anyone resist !

post-14494-1171976523_thumb.jpgpost-14494-1171976511_thumb.jpg

Fed my dogs today and Tigger reminded me of this thread. Here she is, not only eating while laying down with her bowl between her paws, but her legs are straight out behind her. She is on a bit of a slope here but nevertheless she still enjoys laying like this regularly.

post-4641-1172477523_thumb.jpg

Tigger is about 5, very active (she likes to go fishing) and no signs of hip dysplasia.

Fed my dogs today and Tigger reminded me of this thread. Here she is, not only eating while laying down with her bowl between her paws, but her legs are straight out behind her. She is on a bit of a slope here but nevertheless she still enjoys laying like this regularly.

post-4641-1172477523_thumb.jpg

Tigger is about 5, very active (she likes to go fishing) and no signs of hip dysplasia.

LOL - That's what I'm talking about !

Here are a couple of my dogo's eating (and drinking) pics.... and a couple of a more unusual ways of chowing down :o

cas03_025.jpg

cas03_034.jpg

kostya017.jpg

feb1005_%2012.jpg

feb1005_%2011.jpg

kostya102.jpg

kostya179.jpg

kostya095.jpg

kostya149.jpg

Di

Edited by MsFigure

ears.........

my boxer digs her bowl into corners and dumps dog food everywhere then she eats the dog food from the floor.......we've tried different bowls and heights and place mates and food... its just a digging the food away habit, nothing more (no real reason that i can see other then dogs used to bury their food so she buries hers in the ceramic floor (corners). she also covers it in socks (picks up and puts sock on bowl and then shoves it around iwth her nose).