what is ban chang like to live in. advice on things to do .

dirtycash

my gf has asked me to come down there and live with her in ban chang, she cant move away due to her job. anyway im just seeking any advice of what its like to live there, things to do etc. according to her not much lol. im interested in any gyms , muay thai gyms, mma gyms or even tennis courts / clubs , any decent beaches nearby or maybe nearer to rayong, any nightlife at all as in bars , resturaunts etc. i will go stay with her for a few weeks to get the feel of the place but i dont want to be sat down there twiddling my thumbs and pulling my hair out with boredom. i think on a positive note , koh chang is not that far away or is pattaya and also utapao airport and its not exactly out in the sticks.

also she lives in a smallish room, not my style. if i did go stay with her i would like to rent a small house for a year initially, so any info on where to rent a nice room ,small house per year.

cheers

DC

I think Ban Chang is fine for a day out mid-week (but not at weekends or on holidays). There are a couple of nice condo buildings there, and a couple of rather strange ones that remind me of the Bates motel, but it would drive me mad to live there permanently. I suppose having a condo in (say) Jomtien and one in Ban Chang and spending half the week in each might work.

Unless you are an author, or you have some online business that requires a lot of input, or even just an avid reader, I cant see that there's much to do there apart from become an alcoholic.

• Like 1

I lived some 20 years back for 4 yrs in Ban Chang, fo rthe work. It is a quiet city, compared to Pataya, but many expats live there(the Mapthaput industrial estate at some 10 km). Eastern Star has a nice golf course, and tennis courts, and that is where I lived. That time a supermarkte just opened and had sufficient food supply to live.

For larger shopping Pataya and Rayong is the place to go. Other housing estates were establish , then.

Beaches are plenty , with nice white sand . Pala beach was my favorite.

Look around adn enjoy.

• Like 1

A lot of the expats either work in the huge industrial complex or have retreated from the bright lights of Pattaya to a slightly more sedate envirionment . Ban Chang has the strip though if you can't stay away from the bars.

Phala Beach is about 15 minutes from Ban Chang - its not the best beach in Thailand especially if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction but it does the job. The swimming pool in Eastern Star was where we used to go swimming instead ,even though we stayed in Phala.

For major shopping etc you can choose between Pattaya and the traffic or Rayong (less traffic) . There is a immigration office a few kilometers towards Rayong too. It is not the prettiest town in Thailand but you should enjoy it.

• Like 1

One very good thing about living in Ban Chang is that it is an easy 20 minute drive to Makro Rayong which is about 3 times the size of the Pattaya one, also the new Central with Robinsons is great place to shop.

From Tesco Ban Chang to Macro Rayong the distance is 51km.

The street between Ban Chang and Map Ta Phut is usually very busy.

If you manage that trip in 20 minutes I admire your driving skills.

Macro Rayong is bigger, not sure about three times the size of Macro Pattaya but it is bigger.

However, I`m not a huge fan of Macro Rayong because if you are anywhere near the fresh meat or fish section you absolutely need a nose clip. The smell is horrid.

Macro Rayong is a very old shop and in need of a renovation, everything has the charisma of 1990.

IMHO a shopping trip from Ban Chang to Rayong is a good idea. Plan about 3/4 hour for the drive. There is the Laem Thong, a big Tesco, behind Tesco is Star IT plaza, which has nice computer and mobile selection, esp. phone prices are cheaper compared to Tukcom.

On the ring road is a old Big C and opposite is the brand new Central Center.

For shopping I prefer Rayong, especially in high season. Rayong has also a lot of big car dealerships.

Ban Chang is like most places,it has it's positives and unfortunately it's negative side. The Beach for the most part resembles a rubbish dump, the one exemption is at the end of Palu beach, were the restauanteur works hard at keeping it clean,and this is where you will find that most Farangs and their families go.

There are a few gyms, probably the best is at a mo Bahn just north of sukhumvit road.

Plenty of golf courses for those who are not into exercise.

A soi for the overweight and passed it bar girl.

Some decent restaurants, Though not the choice as in Pattaya and elsewhere .

Plenty of reasonably priced houses for rent.

For shopping, Ban Chang has probably the worst Tesco in Thailand. This means that most Farangs travel to Pattaya, approx 45k or to Rayong approx 30k, to purchase their provisions. Both of these towns can also boast decent shopping malls. Unfortunately Pattaya traffic is usually grid locked.

As others have said there are quite a few Farangs in this district, mostly off shore workers, those employed at Mataput or retirees. Not so many foreign tourist.

You have probably made the correct decision to visit and get a feel of the place, one person may like while another will not.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1

Ban chang is full, we don't want anymore coming here. its our nice place and we want to keep it that way.

Saying that something is going on at Phala beach next to the airport, all the shop holders are now in temp buildings on the car park area, all the buildings opposite are being demolished. some rumours about new building being put up.

• Like 1

Ban Chang is like most places,it has it's positives and unfortunately it's negative side. The Beach for the most part resembles a rubbish dump, the one exemption is at the end of Palu beach, were the restauanteur works hard at keeping it clean,and this is where you will find that most Farangs and their families go.

There are a few gyms, probably the best is at a mo Bahn just north of sukhumvit road.

For shopping, Ban Chang has probably the worst Tesco in Thailand. This means that most Farangs travel to Pattaya, approx 45k or to Rayong approx 30k, to purchase their provisions. Both of these towns can also boast decent shopping malls. Unfortunately Pattaya traffic is usually grid locked.

As others have said there are quite a few Farangs in this district, mostly off shore workers, those employed at Mataput or retirees. Not so many foreign tourist.

You have probably made the correct decision to visit and get a feel of the place, one person may like while another will not.

Very good advice.

I lived in Bang Chang for two years, I left because of the pollution coming from the industrial area.

The bar strip is full of women that were kicked out of Pattaya for being so ugly.

The beaches are filthy.

It is the worst Tesco in Thailand.

never realised you had gone.

I lived in Bang Chang for two years, I left because of the pollution coming from the industrial area.

The bar strip is full of women that were kicked out of Pattaya for being so ugly.

The beaches are filthy.

What a lot of <deleted> I have lived here for 3 years and the Navy beach is clean and the water quality superb the Bar strip is busy with some of the most lovely girls in Thailand great pub called the Camel with great falang and Thai food, Ban Chang is the next place to boom unfortunately but a great place to invest you can still buy a beach front 45sq condo for under 1 million, I bought 3x 45s and merged them to make a 135sqm two bedroom two bathroom on the 4th floor with absolute sea view that cannot be built out for 2 million. In 3 years living here we have still not tried all the eateries there are so many

Very good advice.

Edited by Rimmer
Please try to post outside of the post you are quoting, thank you.
  • Like 1

The beaches are filthy.

What a lot of <deleted> I have lived here for 3 years and the Navy beach is clean and the water quality superb the Bar strip is busy with some of the most lovely girls in Thailand great pub called the Camel with great falang and Thai food, Ban Chang is the next place to boom unfortunately but a great place to invest you can still buy a beach front 45sq condo for under 1 million, I bought 3x 45s and merged them to make a 135sqm two bedroom two bathroom on the 4th floor with absolute sea view that cannot be built out for 2 million. In 3 years living here we have still not tried all the eateries there are so many

Very good advice.

No Pete, you are just another real estate owner trying to hype the place up so you can get your money back from that Sh!t hole condo block you live in.

• Like 1

i wouldn't say Ban Chang and the surrounding area is perfect, but it beats the overcrowded, smelly, flood prone, traffic grid locked city of Pattaya hands down.

if some posters did not like it in Ban Chang, that's their choice, they are looking for nirvana but possibly will never find it. Some people have an axe to grind, and its often the low post count posters.

• Like 2

One very good thing about living in Ban Chang is that it is an easy 20 minute drive to Makro Rayong which is about 3 times the size of the Pattaya one, also the new Central with Robinsons is great place to shop.

From Tesco Ban Chang to Macro Rayong the distance is 51km.

Only if you go the wrong way.

It's 31km and should take around 30 min (without traffic):

https://goo.gl/maps/WmzAvZj3Bv22

• Like 1

Isn't your condo ready?

what has my condo in pattaya got anything remotely to do with me going to live with my girl in ban chang ? are you depressed or just sad ?

Perhaps I've read too much John Grisham and the like, but you introduced the topic so the question is allowed. Please answer.

• Like 1