Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And so the bubble pops...

The people saying that no evidence was presented are in complete denial, the main evidence against them, DNA found inside the rape victim was presented by the prosecution and not contested in any meaningful way by the defense.

Would like to see the judges' rationale on how they arrived at the verdict.

The judge is supposed to put in writing the rationale behind the decision, I hope someone takes the time and effort to translate it into English, in toto and without creative interpretations or convenient omissions as it has been the norm for the press work on issues related to this case.

That's how I read it too.

There was no DNA on the hoe - and the defense argument that the other matching DNA (supposedly from Hannah) was not collected fairly, I presume therefore that it was a match.

A detailed version of why some feel this trial was flawed. Thailand beach murders: A flawed and muddled investigation - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35170419

The BBC summary via Johnathon Head as linked above by bim is a first rate up to the minute account of this sorry affair and a blot on whatever remains of Thailand's reputation

First time JH has ever got something right, I applaud him for doing his homework especially it seems his interview with Taupin and disclosing those facts to the public, it blows a huge hole in this saga and brings it to public attention

And so the bubble pops...

The people saying that no evidence was presented are in complete denial, the main evidence against them, DNA found inside the rape victim was presented by the prosecution and not contested in any meaningful way by the defense.

Would like to see the judges' rationale on how they arrived at the verdict.

The judge is supposed to put in writing the rationale behind the decision, I hope someone takes the time and effort to translate it into English, in toto and without creative interpretations or convenient omissions as it has been the norm for the press work on issues related to this case.

The defence requested samples of the DNA for independent testing but officers failed to retrieve the samples and one officer suggested they had been destroyed.

I can see that you are copying and pasting from a news article, this is precisely what I was referring to in regards to the appalling behaviour of the press in this case. The court granted the request of the defense to retest the DNA samples, the defense then declined to do so; that is a fact a fact that either was conveniently ignored to maintain a certain narrative or completely unknown by a journalist that is supposed to know what he or she is writing about.

People that are clinging to the notion of the innocence of those two men are holding on to demonstrably false beliefs, time to let go, do a bit of soul searching and try to learn from the process.

what sort of scum can dictate the verdict before a trial without having seen any evidence. Then ahving witnessed the farce of loss of evidence, lack of evidence incompetent policing still goes ahead with the verdict less they lose face.

lets hope they give this general the same treatment they gave mussolini after ww2

This country has no standard in investigation: it's a country with no rules are taken care, with no regular justice, with no human rights ,

but getting closer to what i experienced in communist countries and I feel more and more unsafe in Thailand, specially as a foreigner with no rights in this lawless Thailand!

Well if farang your guilty till you bribe the right people. They were convicted before they left to court. One day there will be real police work Just not in 10 life times sad to say. And appeal my Butt They will be found hung in there cells with hands tied behind back and it will be called suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_Pkc3Ja7U

Not only has he changed his surname but changed the title of the song from "karma bar" (listen to the words)

How on earth can this man sleep at night, knowing two innocent men are sentenced to death.

Another one with words, I stole the world, with no remorse, for those I killed!

Posts which violate this rule will be removed.

You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

This is for your protection as well as the forum. Please exercise care in what you post and how you say it.

If the Miller- family really thinks, that this is a fair verdict and they are happy with it, my sympathy for them just dropped significantly!

Its much easier for the family to believe these guys were guilty, easier to move on. If not guilty their nightmare would continue. Maybe this is part of it.

The court on Samui island this morning ruled that there is sufficient evidence to implicate the two defendants, Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, in the double murder of British nationals David Miller and Hannah Witheridge in September 2014.

That's not the standard of proof in a criminal case in the Thai courts. The prosecution must prove guilt beyond doubt. Unfortunately, this will lead to a very lengthy appeal process.

Makes you wonder who has such influence to send the B2 to the gallows with everyone knowing the holes in this case.

Somebody out there must be principled enough to say what they know as fact. May they reap their karma one-thousand-fold either way if they remain silent.

With the stroke of a pen it appears that Thais opted to double the victim count instead of exercise enough work ethic to reach a verdict beyond reasonable doubt.

Archived