Jail and hefty fines await anyone caught drink driving in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So looks like I'll be leaving the car at home and using the scooter instead then thumbsup.gif .

There targeting scooters even more! sad.png Have to do like my friend. Get an ebike. No worries then!

are they exempt ? and ordinary bikes too can cause accidents even when riders are sober

This would be OK if they had a good system of public transport. The lack of metered taxis here is a real pain.

Sure but that still does not excuse drinking and driving.. sure you will get gouged for hiring a baht bus but if you can afford to get drunk you can afford that ride too. You might even take a cheap hotel to sleep it off.

Agreed. But 2 beers in an hour or so puts you over the limit and at risk of going to jail. It's been documented these devices are not 100% accurate here. Impossible to get a baht bus near my house. And very difficult to get them if you are away from Central Pattaya. Try finding any sort of transport near the lake after midnight. Very difficult, and no hotels are right next to many of these establishments.

Again, lack of metered taxis, like in Bangkok, is a real problem.

I'm sure that after you are found over the limit by the device used, you will get a blood test to determine the exact level, and otherwise you can request it.

If I know I'm going to drink, the car keys go in the dresser drawers and the car stays parked at home. Then I brush off the Nikes' and hoof it. If I know I'm going to be out of the city, I make arrangements for transport in advance. It's not rocket science.

A loose rule of thumb is 2 pints in the first hour and then a pint an hour after that... however I apply that to be 2 bottles and the 1 per hour after just to be on the safe side, if I'm out watching football (3 beers in a 90 minute match) ... if drinking Chang I'd go with 1 beer every hour as that a strong beer fella

Not any more.

A loose rule of thumb is 2 pints in the first hour and then a pint an hour after that... however I apply that to be 2 bottles and the 1 per hour after just to be on the safe side, if I'm out watching football (3 beers in a 90 minute match) ... if drinking Chang I'd go with 1 beer every hour as that a strong beer fella

Not any more.

Bugger...

Wait Chang isn't strong or I'm staying home watching the Arse!!

Wonder what procedures the BiB have for calibrating the breath testing machines!

Not related to my above question.

My neighbour appeared in a DUI case. He got a fine plus community service. He payed 20k plus got 60 hrs community service. He told me Farangs and Thais got the same penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motorbike taxi on every corner.

Not where I live. Picked up a guy at a 7-11 near the lake 6 months ago. Saw him wandering around outside, needed a bottle of water anyway. Asked how he was doing. It was 12:30am and he'd been looking for a scooter taxi for over 30 minutes. No luck. We drove him home.

Where I live you will be hard pressed to find a mototaxi after 11pm.

That's not a reason to drive drunk. It is a good reason to plan your transportation ahead of time prior to partying.

Did I say it was a reason to drive under the influence ?....

Me scooter solves the issue of it anyways.

How much is the tea money if your on a scooter ? Is it more if in Car ? More if People in car ? Less if filled with Babies ?

It won't matter much what you were riding/driving...

From what I've heard, the tea-money doesn't happen on the spot but can happen after you've already been arrested and shown the comforts of a jail cell. Friday night is a good time for maximum commission. One guy I know paid 10k, but that was nearly a year ago.

Good!

You hear about these crackdowns all the time. Let's hope they actually do something this time.

Drink drivers know the risks and should get what they deserve.

Throw the book at them I say

With the military pushing it this time could be dirrefent.I sure that the BIB is not happy about it as it cuts into their bribe money.

Good!

You hear about these crackdowns all the time. Let's hope they actually do something this time.

Drink drivers know the risks and should get what they deserve.

Throw the book at them I say

With the military pushing it this time could be dirrefent.I sure that the BIB is not happy about it as it cuts into their bribe money.

The BiB are loving it. 30k payable at the station to keep from staying in jail. Big money....

This, "law" is only being enforced in certain (western) tourist / expat occupied areas of the country, but there are bars, karaokes, drinking holes in every corner of Thailand.

I don't condone drinking and driving, and also admit that I have done it hundreds of times (not proud of it, but caused no harm, and have now stopped doing it), but please don't anyone believe there is any other reason for this crackdown than the following;

Tourist (western) numbers are well down, and the BiB in these select regions have paid a lot for their desired and profitable placements. Each month the cupp'th needs filling, and this is just another way of syphoning money into their coffers.

The BiB will continue to get drunk and drive home or to meet their Mia Noi, every Thai who wants to drink and drive outside these (western) tourist / expat areas will continue to do so, and every bus / motorcycle taxi driver (both in and outside these areas) will also continue to do so.

It would simply be impossible to fine the average Thai 10k for drink driving, and the jails are already passed breaking point, and could in no way handle another million inmates a day.

You work it out what this is all about.

As for me, the car is parked up, and also up for sale.

Happy New Year to all, and safe.

I don't condone drinking and driving, and also admit that I have done it hundreds of times (not proud of it, but caused no harm, and have now stopped doing it)

So what made you stop drinking and driving after doing it hundreds of times ?

To be honest, I was pulled over and breathalyzed in June, on a Saturday night, I was lucky enough to be able to pay 10k on the spot rather than spending 2 nights in Soi 9 waiting for my court appearance.

As I said earlier I don't condone drink driving, but I'm not part of the hollier than thou brigade who think everyone who does should be hung, drawn, and quartered.

There are far more dangerous drivers on the road in Thailand than someone who has had a couple of drinks.

I don't condone drinking and driving, and also admit that I have done it hundreds of times (not proud of it, but caused no harm, and have now stopped doing it)

To be honest, I was pulled over and breathalyzed in June, on a Saturday night, I was lucky enough to be able to pay 10k on the spot rather than spending 2 nights in Soi 9 waiting for my court appearance.

As I said earlier I don't condone drink driving, but I'm not part of the hollier than thou brigade who think everyone who does should be hung, drawn, and quartered.

There are far more dangerous drivers on the road in Thailand than someone who has had a couple of drinks.

Fair play Woody.

Yeah, there are the dangerous drivers who have had a lot to drink.

I'm one of the holier than thou brigade who think you should be hung, drawn and quartered before you kill an innocent person or three.

If you're driving a vehicle drunk, you're a deadly weapon on the road and should be treated as such. If I was making the laws it would be mandatory jail time.

This would be OK if they had a good system of public transport. The lack of metered taxis here is a real pain.

Grabtaxi works very well in Pattaya.

http://www.grabtaxi.com

I think it's easier if you live in Pattaya. Down here, I've tried several times had no luck. I just gave up. Going out tonight understanding my drink of choice will be soda with manao! LOL

I'm going to try Grab Taxi again next time I'm headed out for a night on the town!!

I'm one of the holier than thou brigade who think you should be hung, drawn and quartered before you kill an innocent person or three.

Try having a bit of perspective!

2 drinks will put you (a trained / licensed and experienced driver) over the drink driving limit, and perhaps impare your judgement slightly. Now compare this to people who have been granted licenses with no previous experience or formal training, and the mental age of a 10yr old, and in many cases the riders of these bikes are that age.

Again, I'm not condoning it, just using reason.

2 drinks will put you (a trained / licensed and experienced driver) over the drink driving limit, and perhaps impare your judgement slightly. Now compare this to people who have been granted licenses with no previous experience or formal training, and the mental age of a 10yr old, and in many cases the riders of these bikes are that age.

I have perspective. I'm not singling out drunk drivers. They should all be hung, drawn and quartered. For example, I'm even more anti red-light jumpers and idiots that drive on the wrong side of the road than drunk drivers, and that's saying something.

I have perspective. I'm not singling out drunk drivers. They should all be hung, drawn and quartered. For example, I'm even more anti red-light jumpers and idiots that drive on the wrong side of the road than drunk drivers, and that's saying something.
I'm not looking for an argument, but please stop twisting my words, that's twice you've done it on this thread!

I didn't say, "a lot to drink", and I didn't say, "drunk", I said, "drink".

Let me ask you a question, just playing Devils advocate; who would you trust more being a passenger....being with a friend who's never had an accident on the road, driving sensibly, but had 2 Heineken, or in a minivan doing 140kmh tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic with a driver that may not have had a drink today?

Not hard is it??

I met a fella who was pulled failed the test then hauled off to the monkey house for the weekend.

20K fine on the Monday morning.

All well & good you might think except he's been teatotal for over 10 years.

Really, you, "met a fella", and can confirm he's been tea total for 10yrs???

Monday morning fine of 20k, I don't think so, if it's gone to court it would be approximately 3k.

Which bar do you get your stories from?

I met a fella who was pulled failed the test then hauled off to the monkey house for the weekend.

20K fine on the Monday morning.

All well & good you might think except he's been teatotal for over 10 years.

Really, you, "met a fella", and can confirm he's been tea total for 10yrs???

Monday morning fine of 20k, I don't think so, if it's gone to court it would be approximately 3k.

Which bar do you get your stories from?

The one he leaves after a few bears and get in his car, or on his motorbike!

Archived