Jail and hefty fines await anyone caught drink driving in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this action is happening in Pattaya and Bangkok. Does that mean the rest of Thailand can do what it always has done prior to this new strategy. Will they continue this strategy after the holiday season?

They've been doing roadside checks here for some time now. I know many who've been caught. 30k is the new "fine". Pay it and you are on your way. Still drunk.

What they are doing is the right thing. Don't allow the driver back into the car until they sober up.

I've heard this is also happening in Chiang Mai. Can anybody verify that????

Not that I have witnessed.

Of course, the intimidation police who arrive at 1145pm at the popular bars have instilled a great amount of fear in the people who like to visit such establishments.

CM is small enough and tuk tuks available enough to not have to take your own vehicle and risk driving DUI. (driving under the influence)

Everyone knows the alcohol limits are to low was .15 before in states made more sense then mad mothers against drun driving came in. It's bullshit everyones a criminal if you drink basically . Whats weird is i don't think people really understand drunk and drive anyone who drinks is easily to be locked up that means all you idiots saying lock them up because you drink and drive as well puritans.

Drunk should mean just that drunk not the current alcohol level. By the way been drinkign and driving for over 30 years no problem . Look at the statistics for people who fall asleep at the wheel . Throw the book at them as well right let's be like america 4% of the population and 24% of the incarceration rate. Has that solved anything. ? Man I wish you guy's woul just go back to what ever police state you cam from .

I'm unabashedly one of the idiots you describe in your idiotic post.

It's not about driving drunk, it's about being less capable as you tank up.

Let's hope you're one of the first (idiots) to be locked up.

Tropo, you have missed the point in every single post that doesn't unequivocally agree with your thoughts!

Woody - your posts and the one above are the only posts I've disagreed with (replied to) - 2 guys who admittedly drink and drive. Both of you should be locked up.biggrin.png
Oh.....to be perfect!!

""Drivers who pass the breathalyzer test but who still appear to be under the influence will also be detained until authorities are satisfied they are sober""

What does this mean ?

Are faulty breathalysers being used ?

Is this an opening for corruption ?

Well you could be under the influence of something else , like drugs , lots of drivers on yabaa here, and not fit to drive. I think that is also something they need to check.

""Drivers who pass the breathalyzer test but who still appear to be under the influence will also be detained until authorities are satisfied they are sober""

What does this mean ?

Well you could be under the influence of something else , like drugs , lots of drivers on yabaa here, and not fit to drive. I think that is also something they need to check.

Yabaa or another drug doesn't register on an alcohol breathalyzer test.

Wasn't there a new law issued around April this year that drunk driver would get 1 month jail and 10K fine right on the spot?

What does this mean ?

Yabaa or another drug doesn't register on an alcohol breathalyzer test.

Wasn't there a new law issued around April this year that drunk driver would get 1 month jail and 10K fine right on the spot?

Are you two on drugs? Or cannot simply read.

This part is frightening:

Drivers who pass the breathalyzer test but who still appear to be under the influence will also be detained until authorities are satisfied they are sober.

It more or less gives police carte blanche and can, WILL be abused. How about elderly that have some balance problems or whatever...guess we'll visit them in jail.

If the elderly have balance problems then perhaps they shouldn't be driving in the first place.

This would be OK if they had a good system of public transport. The lack of metered taxis here is a real pain.

Sure but that still does not excuse drinking and driving.. sure you will get gouged for hiring a baht bus but if you can afford to get drunk you can afford that ride too. You might even take a cheap hotel to sleep it off.

Agreed. But 2 beers in an hour or so puts you over the limit and at risk of going to jail. It's been documented these devices are not 100% accurate here. Impossible to get a baht bus near my house. And very difficult to get them if you are away from Central Pattaya. Try finding any sort of transport near the lake after midnight. Very difficult, and no hotels are right next to many of these establishments.

Again, lack of metered taxis, like in Bangkok, is a real problem.

Sure but then just don't drink if you know you have to drive. It is annoying but that is just how it is. What do you think the prices of taxi's will be in BKK at night during newyear.. metered taxi's will extract sums of money too. So just let your wife drive or someone else that does not drink.

My experience in Bangkok the last few months -- I visit 2-3 times a month -- is that taxi service is getting far worse. I've had more refusals late evening this fall than all 10 or so years combined. I've had 4-5 refusals to go to On Nut or Ratachada before I finally found one to take me home. This at midnight. They are flat-rating almost exclusively now (even if not raining), refusing to go anywhere other than a few blocks and GrabTaxi is useless in my experience (accepted/rejected every time!).

Since last Christmas, when Pattaya roadside checks escalated, I've pretty much stay on the Darkside where I live. And before the anti-drinking nazi's pile on, I don't drink much, a couple bottle of light beers and then home. But I don't trust the police tests, which might incriminate me when I'm not anywhere near the limit.

Sure but then just don't drink if you know you have to drive. It is annoying but that is just how it is. What do you think the prices of taxi's will be in BKK at night during newyear.. metered taxi's will extract sums of money too. So just let your wife drive or someone else that does not drink.

My experience in Bangkok the last few months -- I visit 2-3 times a month -- is that taxi service is getting far worse. I've had more refusals late evening this fall than all 10 or so years combined. I've had 4-5 refusals to go to On Nut or Ratachada before I finally found one to take me home. This at midnight. They are flat-rating almost exclusively now (even if not raining), refusing to go anywhere other than a few blocks and GrabTaxi is useless in my experience (accepted/rejected every time!).

Since last Christmas, when Pattaya roadside checks escalated, I've pretty much stay on the Darkside where I live. And before the anti-drinking nazi's pile on, I don't drink much, a couple bottle of light beers and then home. But I don't trust the police tests, which might incriminate me when I'm not anywhere near the limit.

So the taxis in Bangkok are not refusing to take you - they're just refusing to use their meters? Why not just pay the flat-rate and be done with it on the odd occasion you need to get home after drinking? Is that really a time you need to make a stand (on principle) to find honest taxi drivers? How much more money are we looking at to pay the flat-rate over what the metered fee should be?

Im not anti drinking or even using drugs, I am for free use of drugs and alcohol (basically the same thing) but just not doing it and operating a vehicle. A couple of bottles would put you over the limit for sure (depending on the time of-course).

What does this mean ?

Yes of course.coffee1.gif

Went through 5 roadblocks today on the way from Khon Kaen to Ban Chang, all operational between 09.00 and 14.00 today, each one of them made everybody stop and roll down the window and each one was heavily manned. Very little traffic southbound on that route today so they had plenty time to have a good sniff inside each vehicle!

Very strange though, at one roadblock it was mixed army and police but then no more than 100m further on...another one just police??

Looks like they are serious across the country...good!

So the taxis in Bangkok are not refusing to take you - they're just refusing to use their meters? Why not just pay the flat-rate and be done with it on the odd occasion you need to get home after drinking? Is that really a time you need to make a stand (on principle) to find honest taxi drivers? How much more money are we looking at to pay the flat-rate over what the metered fee should be?

Nope, in almost all cases they just outright refused to take me anywhere. I don't know what destination they would be OK with, but running up from Sukhumvit to Ratchada soi 3 or On Nut BTS area seems hardly, well, I don't know what they were thinking. But I really think they wanted to capture a tourist who would fall for a 300 baht flat rate to their hotel. But since I spoke in Thai, they thought me too "ordinary". The stupid thing is, taxi drivers must know most farangs almost always tip big so I can only think they were looking for the "whale", in Las Vegas terms. Or so I heard in movies.

And, Tropo, I know the difference between a no-option refusal and the need to get home, flat-rate or meter.

From very recent and personal experience (I wasn't the driver) a contribution to the Christmas Fund will still have you walking away from these road blocks. I am not condoning drink driving and believe it should be stamped out, but as long as corruption is rife it will continue.

Im not anti drinking or even using drugs, I am for free use of drugs and alcohol (basically the same thing) but just not doing it and operating a vehicle. A couple of bottles would put you over the limit for sure (depending on the time of-course).

You're amazingly liberal about drug use. You'll make a lot of people happy talking like that - perhaps not "ex-kaaskop" after all. biggrin.png

You're amazingly liberal about drug use. You'll make a lot of people happy talking like that - perhaps not "ex-kaaskop" after all. biggrin.png

Only drug use that does not bother other people, I don't see the problem of people using weed, xtc, cocaine, yabaa or whatever as long as they don't get aggressive and attack people (like drunk people often do and it is known alcohol causes the most aggression of all drugs) or drive vehicles or just make a nuisance of themselves. Also I don't condone stealing or other illegal ways of supporting their habit.

In my time I have known many users of drugs who used it recreational and did so without harming their jobs (most had jobs/ families and did stuff like xtc once a month or so, there was even a fishing village where many people did cocaine but these guys were hard working and just used it in their free time) and or other people. I see it as a victim-less crime, until of course they start to bother other people. Doing any kind of drug and operating a vehicle is a big no no in my book as you put others at risk.

Besides the drunk drivers some extra attention should be taken for red light jumpers, those are as dangerous or even more dangerous as people who drink and drive. But the people drinking and driving are always saying go after people jumping red lights or driving dangerous. For me they just should go after anyone.

If I believed, the law would be applied in anything approaching an even-handed manner, I would feel more comfortable with this crackdown.

If I believed cops in Thailand didn't drink drive gigglem.gif , I would feel more comfortable with this crackdown.

If I believed this wasn't just another idea for the cops to line their own pockets, I would feel more comfortable with this crackdown.

If I believed this would make a significant or even small reduction in the fatalities and injuries on Thai roads, I would feel more comfortable with this crackdown.

If I believed the equipment used by the police to determine the level of alcohol in somebody's breath or blood was accurate, I would feel more comfortable with this crackdown.

If I believed the police were honest, I would feel more comfortable with this crackdown.

I am yet to be convinced on any point. I doubt I ever will be.

Only drug use that does not bother other people, I don't see the problem of people using weed, xtc, cocaine, yabaa or whatever as long as they don't get aggressive and attack people (like drunk people often do and it is known alcohol causes the most aggression of all drugs) or drive vehicles or just make a nuisance of themselves. Also I don't condone stealing or other illegal ways of supporting their habit.

In my time I have known many users of drugs who used it recreational and did so without harming their jobs (most had jobs/ families and did stuff like xtc once a month or so, there was even a fishing village where many people did cocaine but these guys were hard working and just used it in their free time) and or other people. I see it as a victim-less crime, until of course they start to bother other people. Doing any kind of drug and operating a vehicle is a big no no in my book as you put others at risk.

Besides the drunk drivers some extra attention should be taken for red light jumpers, those are as dangerous or even more dangerous as people who drink and drive. But the people drinking and driving are always saying go after people jumping red lights or driving dangerous. For me they just should go after anyone.

This is the most sensible and rational (and honest) post on this thread!

Archived