Farang Teacher Falls From Building

george

Teacher falls from building

BANGKOK: An Assumption University English teacher yesterday fell to her death from the 13th floor of the university's personnel apartment building in an apparent suicide.

Kimberly Robbins, 22, was found dead on the ground outside the apartment building at 1.30pm, Police |said.

Police said that earlier in the day, Robbins had been seen by other personnel living in the same block trying to jump from the building.They took her to see a doctor at Camillion Hospital, where she was prescribed antidepressant medication and sent to rest in her room.

--The Nation 2004-04-12

Thailand's Suicide Rate Climbs: Report

Driven by depression and drug abuse, Thailand's suicide rate is increasing, the Mental Health Department warned Thursday.

Driven by depression and drug abuse, Thailand's suicide rate is increasing, the Mental Health Department warned Thursday.

The official agency said in a report that the present rate of successful suicide has jumped from last year's 11 per 100,000 of the population to 13 per 100,000, or one per hour.

The report said surveys found in Thailand, suicides are more successful when attempted by men and the most popular suicide method among men is hanging while taking poison is more common among women.

Officials said loneliness and stress from living in single families contribute to more suicides.

Amphetamine, a popular illicit drug, is another major cause as the drug makes users fell insecure and distrustful of others.

The report said the number of Thai people suffering from depression has reached 3 to 4 percent of the total population and medication is much needed.

Officials urged the public and families to pay attention to depressed persons and those who have suicidal history need extra care.

http://fpeng.peopledaily.com.cn/200204/25/...425_94706.shtml

Well as my physician always says to me during routine physicals thats include HIV tests....

"HIV isn't a death sentence anymore...you can live many productive years on drugs these days". :o (comforting lecture when u are just in for a physical- I normally tell him to stuff it- babbles on too much anyways)

And Thailand wants to promote itself as a place where foreigners should flock to for health care.

Can you believe they wrote a prescription and sent her home? Sadly, I can. It doesn't take very long living here to see through the veneer of modern institutions like Bumrungrad et al, to realize they're marketing hotels with nurses while overlooking doctors of dubious skill.

The closest we ever get to a proper autopsy here turns into a circus, with the Thai media making a big deal out of the medical examiner's sanuk spikey hair cut. Next thing ya know she's on chat shows and morning cooking programmes, and we've all forgotten why we first got to know her. Where are the consumer reporters, where are the independent inquiries? Probably same place as that muslim lawyer.. Despite what they'd have you believe this is no place to become ill, mentally or otherwise.

Slippery balcony syndrome seems to know no boundaries - young and old, male and female. Stick to low rise buildings, where a slip can do know worse than give you a bruised backside is my lousy advice, fwiw! And avoid 13th floor at all costs! :o

Slippery balcony syndrome seems to know no boundaries - young and old, male and female. Stick to low rise buildings, where a slip can do know worse than give you a bruised backside is my lousy advice, fwiw

not such lousy advice, balcony rails in thailand are placed at a frighteningly low level, often just above hip height for a six footer,couple that with glazed tiles on the floor and its easy to lose your balance, slip and over you go.

Slippery balcony syndrome seems to know no boundaries - young and old, male and female. Stick to low rise buildings, where a slip can do know worse than give you a bruised backside is my lousy advice, fwiw

not such lousy advice, balcony rails in thailand are placed at a frighteningly low level, often just above hip height for a six footer,couple that with glazed tiles on the floor and its easy to lose your balance, slip and over you go.

Perhaps the height is suitable for the Thais. But for me, I get nervous each time when I am in the balcony of a hotel.

Guest IT Manager
Apparently this girl was a US Layola student on a transfer, I've a few Friends working at ABAC trying to find out why she juuuuuuuuuuuumped!

Or do you mean

JU

U

U

U

U

M

M

PED

Sorry, I am quite sick this afternoon. In very poor taste and I apologise profusely.

Guest IT Manager
May this English Teacher rest in peace, and my her soul find peace. A tragic and useless act. Isolation and depression...maybe she should have learned of this forum... :o

Perhaps she did.

Police said that earlier in the day, Robbins had been seen by other personnel living in the same block trying to jump from the building.They took her to see a doctor at Camillion Hospital, where she was prescribed antidepressant medication and sent to rest in her room.

Another proof and a very sad one for that, that if you ever come across such situation, do not leave her/him alone. Never, ever,... :o

Another proof and a very sad one for that, that if you ever come across such situation, do not leave her/him alone. Never, ever,... :o

That is easier to be said than to be done. There are unhappy people everywhere anytime. Who knows who is actually serious enough to kill oneself? BTW, we can't actually tell how she behaved before she did that. Of course, there could also be negligence in the handling. Hard to tell. :D

Robbins had been seen by other personnel living in the same block trying to jump from the building

BTW, we can't actually tell how she behaved before she did that. Of course, there could also be negligence in the handling. Hard to tell. :o

Trying to jump from a building is a joke?

I guess everybody involved is still laughing,... :D