Is it still illegal to ride a motorbike in Yangon?

simon43

It certainly was the case in 2012/13 when I lived there. Although I was able to walk to my school, I really had problems exploring outside of Yangon because I had no motorbike ==> because there was little point to buy one since I wasn't allowed to ride it in Yangon.

What's the current status now? I'm sitting on a new job offer from Yangon and I really want to make better use of my weekend time by exploring the communities outside of Yangon. I prefer to travel alone, without a guide or driver, and a motorbike seems the best option.

Can a foreigner ride a motorbike in Yangon?

Can a foreigner own a motorbike?

I'd appreciate some up-to-date information, thanks.

As Richard said, it's still not entirely legal to ride a motorcycle or even a bicycle in central parts of Yangon (though it's permitted on the outskirts). Having said that, the occasional motorcycle is seen within city limits, sometimes even near downtown so clearly some riders don't mind taking the risk or enforcement is not that strict. However, I would not risk purchasing a bike as an expat resident of Yangon as you'll encounter too many hassles. Better put the money towards a car. In my opinion that would be the best option for getting around the country - on my last trip to Myanmar earlier this month I saw 2 foreigners driving cars sitting at the lights right behind each other and spotted plenty more throughout town. So clearly purchasing and driving a car yourself in Yangon (and elsewhere in Myanmar) is no problem.

Yes, a car would be a better option, especially on rainy days. But I won't be driving to work - I prefer to walk. so I only need the car at weekends.

What is the situation for renting cars in Yangon? Typical monthly rate? Can I drive it myself? (I assume I can).

I wonder what is the origin of such a stupid law ?

There are a number of rumours about why motorcycles were banned in Yangon in 2003, as well as mumblings that change is on the horizon. One version about the ban is that a person on a motorbike made a threatening gesture to a military general; another is that a motorbike rider distributed pro-democracy leaflets, and the third is that a general’s son was killed while riding a motorbike. There are no doubt others also.

UNQUOTE

Source: http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/special-features/162-wheels-2013/5788-ban-on-motorbikes-lingers.html

Yes, a car would be a better option, especially on rainy days. But I won't be driving to work - I prefer to walk. so I only need the car at weekends.

What is the situation for renting cars in Yangon? Typical monthly rate? Can I drive it myself? (I assume I can).

where did u get an a offer? good friend of mine ( whom i stayed with this month) teaches at the American international school an lives across the street, loves his 2 minute walk to work.

get a motorcycle an as long as u leave early ( as my other friend does, who also owns a car as well) ) on his excursions, u will have no trouble with a bike.

Cheap taxi's everywhere but no meters but they dont seem to try and rip u off.

I know Zach in Mandalay sells bikes, http://www.mandalaymotorbike.com/p/bikes-for-sale.html

I know those imported Toyotas they use for taxi's, run about $10,000

as to Bicycles>>>> i saw them everywhere in Yangon

where did u get an a offer?

Just one of the language schools.

When I worked in Yangon in 2012/13, I worked as a Homeroom teacher with Alba School, also teaching vocational students at Myanmar Noble College. I got a good offer then from MISY, but had to return to the UK to look after my elderly mum.

I prefer to work again as a Homeroom teacher, but don't have any employment offers from the so-called 'international schools. (No vacancies at this time of year). The language school job is fine, but if a better job arises later in 2016, I don't like to break my contract with the language school.

I was told that you could not ride on as the powers that be were afraid of being assasinated while stuck in traffic.

What about the old ban on western trousers for the local men that didnt work in the govt?

I was told that you could not ride on as the powers that be were afraid of being assasinated while stuck in traffic.

You obviously didn't read my post above.

What about the old ban on western trousers for the local men that didnt work in the govt?

There is no such ban. My guess says that about half o the men wear trousers, the other wear longhis.

Archived