'Not for profit' restaurant near Mee Chok Plaza

jobin

Was attracted by the flier and half price offer recent Friday night. Italian buffet, all you can eat, 199 baht. Hmm. Better try it, tonight.

Tamarind Garden, a 'not for profit' restaurant along hiway 3029 towards river. From 1001 go 2 km, just at large blinking yellow lamp, turn left. Go 50m to park car, walk a bit down soi to restaurant.

Order entree from menu, they make it up for you, including good, big burgers; pizzas, etc. Also salad offerings, all claimed organic and many grown on site. Hot wings, spring rolls, etc. I had no idea what the burger would look like so took a burger and a pizza, and some wings, rolls, salad///199 baht. What a monster bargain for such tasty food. (I took a long time to mentally locate the taste of the anchovies in the Spicy Medi pizza)

Setting in a small garden area, pretty quiet, nice attentive folks, homey even. Asked about the no-profit and seems the restaurant trains village Thai youth in kitchen jobs, gardening and other skills. Supports the Children's Shelter Foundation.

I cannot say if the low price was a one-off and will continue or not. But even at 299 baht, a lovely meal.

• 2 weeks later...

I ate there this evening. I was the only customer there.

I ordered the beef burger which comes with french fries and a "salad."

The burger meat was tasty, but a little coarse. The burger was slathered in some kind of mayo/Thousand Island sauce and was pretty messy eating (I don't mind that). But the problem was the bun. The bottom was rock hard and at first I thought it was frozen. It was just stale. The top of the bun was marginally better. I didn't say anything to the staff. I was surprised that they would even serve such a thing, but "paying attention" is not a trait the Thais have.

The pizzas might be better but the large is only 12 inches. I will go back and try that some day.

The other problem here is that they are right next to a community public loudspeaker and I was there just as the evening's BS started. If that was my restaurant, I'd be up that pole straight away to disable that. Really irritating and LOUD.

But the people were friendly. I'll give them another chance. Oh, and the outdoor surroundings are nice (what they do in the rainy season I can't imagine).

Archived