Thais urged to defer travel to Myanmar

rooster59

Thais urged to defer travel to Myanmar

30275755-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: AUTHORITIES in the areas bordering Thailand and Burma yesterday warned Thai nationals not to visit Myanmar at this time, as thousands of people held protests across the border after a Thai court’s death sentence verdict against two Myanmar migrants last week.

Peaceful protests were held in the Tachilek and Taungoo border towns in Myanmar yesterday. And some 60 people continued with their protests for a third day outside the Thai Embassy in Yangon yesterday.

In Tachilek town, across Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district, some 2,000 people gathered at a local stadium about two kilometres from the border area. They protested against the Samui Provincial Court's ruling on Thursday handing down death penalties on Myanmar men Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun for the 2014 murders of British tourists David Miller and Hannah Witheridge.

Protest leaders submitted a letter to the Thai border authorities who accepted it on behalf of the Thai government. The letter called for a fair and just trial.

Thai authorities temporarily closed the border checkpoint for safety reasons. The protesters dispersed peacefully later yesterday. The border checkpoint was reopened shortly afterwards.

At Taungoo town, about 400 Myanmar people protested against the court ruling. Some of the protesters were Myanmar migrant workers from the Thai side of the border.

The protest was peaceful and they dispersed at about 4pm.

Local authorities in Kanchanaburi's Sangkhla Buri district, which is across the border from the Myanmar town, urged Thai tourists in Myanmar to return home urgently and advised those about to cross the border to delay their visit.

About 60 protesters gathered yesterday outside the Thai Embassy in Yangon, which was closed for the weekend. The demonstration was peaceful and security officials were sent to monitor the situation, according to Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee.

Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said yesterday that he did not think the protests in Myanmar would worsen and sour ties between the two countries.

He said the Thai government was aware of the protesters' demands. "But we have to let the justice process to take its course anyway. That's an international standard of practice. The Thai court system is acceptable," he said.

The two Myanmar convicts were yesterday transferred from a jail on Koh Samui to the Nakhon Si Thammarat prison. They were moved early yesterday morning to the maximum security prison, which is intended for convicts sentenced to life imprisonment or death penalty.

Meanwhile, the Thai Journalists Association yesterday issued a statement in response to an earlier statement by the Myanmar Journalists Association about the court verdict.

The TJA said it agreed with the MJA that as journalists, "our responsibility is to seek truth and justice". The statement said, "We see the utmost importance of seeking truth and justice, especially in such a controversial case like the tragedy on Koh Tao. The Thai media has already engaged in investigative reporting on this case throughout the judicial process."

Pressure from Mynamar has also come from the National League for Democracy, which won the recent general elections. The party issued a statement urging the Myanmar government to give necessary assistance in filing an appeal on behalf of the Koh Tao convicts. The NLD also welcomed the protest against the court decision outside the Thai Embassy in a way that would not tarnish the country's dignity, Eleven Myanmar reported yesterday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thais-urged-to-defer-travel-to-Myanmar-30275755.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-27

This is turning into a real scandal. How much more lying snd deception will people take I wonder.

And all of this damage to protect some cowardly island goons & manufacture a false image that Thailand is a safe, orderly tropical paradise. And all this lying and deception done in the age of social media just makes those attempting to pull the wool look like complete muppets.

This is far from over I suspect

Why? They are protesting peacefully? There is no vested interest in the leaders of protests like there are (on both sides) here.

The Burmese people are, like the rest of, angered at the Thai legal system, Not the Thai people themselves (who all mostly know this is a travesty too).

It also shows how far Burma has come and Thailand has fallen. If some people were to gather and protest about this in Thailand right now they'd be carted off for attitude adjustment.

All the Burmese I know, various ethnics, are fed up being considered as pariahs by the self-proclaimed superior thais/thai culture. The Thai systematically seem to forget that Myanmar will become the most important player of se Asia, with huge potential in plenty of fields (natural resources, tourism, industry, etc). The dirty, dangerous, communit (sic) country used to be a pearl and I will call it home when time is there.

All the Burmese I know, various ethnics, are fed up being considered as pariahs by the self-proclaimed superior thais/thai culture. The Thai systematically seem to forget that Myanmar will become the most important player of se Asia, with huge potential in plenty of fields (natural resources, tourism, industry, etc). The dirty, dangerous, communit (sic) country used to be a pearl and I will call it home when time is there.

Yep. Burma is awakening to its massive potential. Thailand had something of a head start in South East Asia compared to it's colleagues but refuses to lose its old world elitist mentality.

Give it 20 years and Burma will be thriving. In that time Thailand will probably look how Burma did 20 years ago.

Burmese have strong tradition of listening to Bbc and Voa. They know about the outer world and also have strong tradition of discussing politics and worldly matters in their teashops whereas the Thai will mainly talk about money, lottery, football and and food. I have been regular Burma visitor since 1997 and the motivation of the people to GET SOMEWHERE is enormous. Thailand systematically seems to forget that their so-called superiority is solely based on (geopolitical) luck and NOT on intelligence or smart leaders. This bufferstate made exponential growth thx to the misfortune of its 3 western, northern and Eastern neighbours...

The longer the Junta stays in power, the smaller and smaller the world is going to get for Thai people.

Unfortunately, Thailand is now well and truly on the road to pariah status in the international community.

I guess there'll always be China and North Korea though.

The obvious thing for the Thai authorities to do is allow an independent laboratory to resample and retest the alleged DNA from the victim, which is the cornerstone of their case.

Failing that, I can't see how the Thai government can claim justice has been done. Silly me, I'm being logical again.facepalm.gif

The obvious thing for the Thai authorities to do is allow an independent laboratory to resample and retest the alleged DNA from the victim, which is the cornerstone of their case.

Failing that, I can't see how the Thai government can claim justice has been done. Silly me, I'm being logical again.facepalm.gif

Nothing to do with logic but with respect Thai law even you can't agree and accept

The longer the Junta stays in power, the smaller and smaller the world is going to get for Thai people.

Unfortunately, Thailand is now well and truly on the road to pariah status in the international community.

Yeah, and you stay here deliberately or looking for an exit already?

Nothing to do with logic but with respect Thai law even you can't agree and accept

Could you explain your response more clearly, I don't understand what you are saying.

to resample and retest the alleged DNA from the victim, which is the cornerstone of their case.

Could you explain your response more clearly, I don't understand what you are saying.

The obvious thing for the Thai authorities to do is allow an independent laboratoryFailing that, I can't see how the Thai government can claim justice has been done.

you request the Thais to have an additional investigation aso. For what? And who will make them to do so?

Silly me, I'm being logical

This case has nothing to do being logical or not. It's just about common sense. There is a state, there is jurisdiction and there is a sentence. And all within there is pride and not losing face. Also the pressure to present some murderers. Accept the outcome even you can't agree and accept. You won't change anything. According to your quote I would recommend to leave the country and go back home into the arms of security, order and justice.

Yeah, and you stay here deliberately or looking for an exit already?

China has always been an international player in world politics and trade or maybe you are a citizen of ISIS where yes the Chinese have not establish any trade yet as dead bodies and bombs are tad hard to barter trade

good. maybe Myanmar can fire some mortars into Thailand along with some small arms fire.

show em' who is the boss.

sort of embarrassing if there are protests at the border markets with all the clueless "touris" having to think about what goes on in Thailand.

I see BP is running a couple of stories today investigating a murder in Ranong where four young men from Myanmar are claiming their confessions were given due to torture by the police which will add more fuel to this fire.

its all pretty useless,

protesting wont change a thing and UNTIL the 100 of Thousands of Burmese currently living an working in Thailand can return home to a decent salary they will continue to come and work and be subjected to abuses

Some day thou, they will be gone and Thailand's construction industry will collapse.

I see BP is running a couple of stories today investigating a murder in Ranong where four young men from Myanmar are claiming their confessions were given due to torture by the police which will add more fuel to this fire.

Includes this little snippet; 'Pol Col Cherdpong Chiewpreecha, a senior investigator who was involved with and testified in the Koh Tao case, is also heading the Ranong investigation.'

good. maybe Myanmar can fire some mortars into Thailand along with some small arms fire.

sort of embarrassing if there are protests at the border markets with all the clueless "touris" having to think about what goes on in Thailand.

Tatmadaw, approx 400.000 soldiers with actual combat experience. RTA, dunno how many, can't be bothered to look it up, experienced in eating rice and the occasional red shirt or muslim intimidation. ;)

ASEAN closer ties are going well so far.. but everyone will be happy with Thailand as soon as the clock strikes midnight on December 31st.

Tatmadaw, approx 400.000 soldiers with actual combat experience. RTA, dunno how many, can't be bothered to look it up, experienced in eating rice and the occasional red shirt or muslim intimidation. ;)

To be fair the RTA have an envious record of conquering countries over the last few decades - unfortunately it has always been their own.

to resample and retest the alleged DNA from the victim, which is the cornerstone of their case.

The obvious thing for the Thai authorities to do is allow an independent laboratoryFailing that, I can't see how the Thai government can claim justice has been done.

you request the Thais to have an additional investigation aso. For what? And who will make them to do so?

This case has nothing to do being logical or not. It's just about common sense. There is a state, there is jurisdiction and there is a sentence. And all within there is pride and not losing face. Also the pressure to present some murderers. Accept the outcome even you can't agree and accept. You won't change anything. According to your quote I would recommend to leave the country and go back home into the arms of security, order and justice.

The outcome does not affect me. No, I can't change anything. Thailand is the country affected by world opinion, and the authorities either want to do something to establish credibility for the legal system, or they don't. Up to them.

"Go back to where you came from" is a standard response of all xenophobes, irrespective of their nationality.

The outcome does not affect me. No, I can't change anything. Thailand is the country affected by world opinion, and the authorities either want to do something to establish credibility for the legal system, or they don't. Up to them.

"Go back to where you came from" is a standard response of all xenophobes, irrespective of their nationality.

your answer impressed me much. All I have to say: Happy New Year

your answer impressed me much. All I have to say: Happy New Year

And to you, likewise

Archived