Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

The fellow who had the extra passports probably had them for the 90 day you don't have to be there in person or use an agent for them

NO. I said he was in line for retirement the same as me. The extra passports were for his kids and wife.

It was interesting that you were 27th in line yet they gave out 30 queue cards before you and say the agents can only get one.

Also the lady behind you would have been number 32

No, no, no...you need to go back and read more carefully. The man in front of me said he saw No. 27, not that that was the highest number card there was, and clearly they were only giving out 30. I was the 31st person in line. I said, "It appeared that I was number 26." As it turned out, what appeared to be true was not true in fact.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice report Trijilo, well done. Thank you for taking the time.

Incredibly fortunate for you to get a 'cancellation', and so early in the day - quite literally an hour or so after they had obtained a queue number for them. I *just can't* imagine how often the agency gets people making appointments, dropping off their passport the day before (so their place in the queue is guaranteed) then not turning up. And contacting them to let them know that they are cancelling so early in the day. Really unlucky for a company to get cancellations seemingly *every* day. /s

Very informative though, Mr K had a couple of things different a couple of weeks ago (apart from a very early start and a queue number); the photo didn't have to be on blue background for him and the person in front of him in the queue who he chatted to (even though people had been reporting that it had to be for a week or so prior and he was prepared to rectify it in the nearby photo shop if necessary but it wasn't) and every page which had a stamp on it in his passport had to be photocopied and present - the officer missed one and tried insisting it was missing but it was there (there were a lot of them) and was also insisting he go for a copy until it was found with the others (in the correct order, but never mind). Someone a few places ahead of him had to go to the photocopy shop not once but twice, which left the officer with some unexpected-bonus personal time to contemplate life whilst waiting for him to return. Twice.

On a very serious note though, the parking situation doesn't seem to be ideal from a personal safety point of view. As this has been mentioned before, I would have expected it to have been rectified by now by management.

Very nice report Trijilo, well done. Thank you for taking the time.

Incredibly fortunate for you to get a 'cancellation', and so early in the day - quite literally an hour or so after they had obtained a queue number for them. I *just can't* imagine how often the agency gets people making appointments, dropping off their passport the day before (so their place in the queue is guaranteed) then not turning up. And contacting them to let them know that they are cancelling so early in the day. Really unlucky for a company to get cancellations seemingly *every* day. /s

Very informative though, Mr K had a couple of things different a couple of weeks ago (apart from a very early start and a queue number); the photo didn't have to be on blue background for him and the person in front of him in the queue who he chatted to (even though people had been reporting that it had to be for a week or so prior and he was prepared to rectify it in the nearby photo shop if necessary but it wasn't) and every page which had a stamp on it in his passport had to be photocopied and present - the officer missed one and tried insisting it was missing but it was there (there were a lot of them) and was also insisting he go for a copy until it was found with the others (in the correct order, but never mind). Someone a few places ahead of him had to go to the photocopy shop not once but twice, which left the officer with some unexpected-bonus personal time to contemplate life whilst waiting for him to return. Twice.

On a very serious note though, the parking situation doesn't seem to be ideal from a personal safety point of view. As this has been mentioned before, I would have expected it to have been rectified by now by management.

Thanks for the confirmation that walk in's are not always prepared.

What struck me as I read the first part about the cancelation was the fact and I know from personal experience twice that the girls out front aren't that sharp. There is the possibility that the agent could use the same one every day. Maybe have two so they can switch them off. As I said my experience with G4T was I went in shortly before 2:00 and they were all excited they had a cancelation and could take me in right away. Can't remember who it was but one poster said that when they got to the agent the agent asked for a higher number so it would be in the afternoon.

How do any of the agents tell their clients what time to be there?

When I say not very sharp the second experience with them was for the 90 day. I had every thing in order. They OKed it. I then went in and signed my photocopies. They had missed the obvious. The other time I forgot to make one signature and they missed that, G4T didn't.

It took about 7 minutes of actual processing time at the desk, 10 minutes tops, maybe because I was prepared and then 5 min sitting waiting for a picture. The guy doing the extension processing was fast. Not sure what the lady wearing the official uniform was doing, but if she had been half as efficient as the guy, they both could easily process 7 apps per hour and bang out at least 40 per day. This is giving them some down time.

Assuming everyone played along and showed up at or around 830am, the craziness of lining up at 4am or what ever time the first person in line felt compelled to arrive, would not be necessary.

There was some foreigner guy that I watched get up from the process desk and amble off to the copier place 3 times... holding up any further processing, keeping in mind he was an afternoon appointment and had plenty of time to check what he needed and to make copies... his total time at the desk was about 25+ min... and he was saddled with a 2000 baht fine because he had never done a 90 day report... he didn't seem to understand or care and just paid the fine.

It's a zoo looking event simply because there are so many people and too many have little idea of what they are doing or where to go and what is needed. Their ignorance and the lack of widely disseminated [accurate] information is adding to this. And for those that rode the short bus to school, this information would need to be spelled out in very basic language and including cartoon characters performing the task.

IMO, for an appointment process to work. A list of necessary documents, copies, forms and money will need to be posted. If you don't have all the required stuff... NEXT!

I was amazed at how many people lined up for 90 day report. This is something that should have satellite locations around CM... why drag all these people out to Promanada?

People that showed up in the afternoon were denied 90 day reporting. Why? It looked like they only had 2 people doing this...ok, add a 3rd. Losing the 2000 baht fine revenue is not lost on me.

Does anyone wonder if part of this is some arrangement to keep people in the Promanade area? There sure were a lot of people milling around, eating in the restaurants and shopping at Rimping.
How many do you suppose were from the immigration crowd?
Just a pondering thought.

This whole CM Immigration dysfunction appears to have a few easy remedies. The "Bangkok" theory is old and played out... there needs to be something to substantiate this before I buy into it.

All said and done, I did not pay an agent, spent a lot of time at Promanada, talked with some people and felt like the immigration staff I dealt with did their job as required. I don't require much more and had actually got myself unnecessarily worked up ... in perspective, one day a year inconvenience is not bad and I really should chill out about it.

What time did you arrive in line?

What number did you get?

The fallacy of the Promenada advantage is that once you get your number, it's about 8:45am and the mall proper does not open until 11am. Sure, some of the satellite shops are open and Rimping Market, but how many cups of coffee can you drink until the mall opens? Unless you live extremely far away, why not just go home and come back in the afternoon?

Assuming everyone played along and showed up at or around 830am, the craziness of lining up at 4am or what ever time the first person in line felt compelled to arrive, would not be necessary.

You and NancyL must be neighbors.

It took about 7 minutes of actual processing time at the desk, 10 minutes tops, maybe because I was prepared and then 5 min sitting waiting for a picture. The guy doing the extension processing was fast. Not sure what the lady wearing the official uniform was doing, but if she had been half as efficient as the guy, they both could easily process 7 apps per hour and bang out at least 40 per day. This is giving them some down time.

There was some foreigner guy that I watched get up from the process desk and amble off to the copier place 3 times... holding up any further processing, keeping in mind he was an afternoon appointment and had plenty of time to check what he needed and to make copies... his total time at the desk was about 25+ min... and he was saddled with a 2000 baht fine because he had never done a 90 day report... he didn't seem to understand or care and just paid the fine.

It's a zoo looking event simply because there are so many people and too many have little idea of what they are doing or where to go and what is needed. Their ignorance and the lack of widely disseminated [accurate] information is adding to this. And for those that rode the short bus to school, this information would need to be spelled out in very basic language and including cartoon characters performing the task.

IMO, for an appointment process to work. A list of necessary documents, copies, forms and money will need to be posted. If you don't have all the required stuff... NEXT!

I was amazed at how many people lined up for 90 day report. This is something that should have satellite locations around CM... why drag all these people out to Promanada?

People that showed up in the afternoon were denied 90 day reporting. Why? It looked like they only had 2 people doing this...ok, add a 3rd. Losing the 2000 baht fine revenue is not lost on me.

Does anyone wonder if part of this is some arrangement to keep people in the Promanade area? There sure were a lot of people milling around, eating in the restaurants and shopping at Rimping.

How many do you suppose were from the immigration crowd?

Just a pondering thought.

This whole CM Immigration dysfunction appears to have a few easy remedies. The "Bangkok" theory is old and played out... there needs to be something to substantiate this before I buy into it.

All said and done, I did not pay an agent, spent a lot of time at Promanada, talked with some people and felt like the immigration staff I dealt with did their job as required. I don't require much more and had actually got myself unnecessarily worked up ... in perspective, one day a year inconvenience is not bad and I really should chill out about it.

Every day is Different at Immigration

You were lucky

Buy what time did you get there

What number did you Receive?

There are so many ways to fix this

But they are to incompetent to work this out

They have most peoples information on the Computer

Why it takes time is beyound me

There need competent people checking before they get into the door

Even after getting a number

There should be guidelines as what is required

But unfortunately they are dealing with so many oeple

From different countries that dont understand THai Or English

Us westerners think differently than the Thais

So how to fix it

Who knowas

Maybe they need new Bosses that are competent in there job

Doing your immigration adventure, onced a year for extension and 4 times for 90 day report unless you report by mail or online or pay someone to do for you, is a personal responsibility, I guess I can appreciate those who are trying to make it better but in the end it is down to me to get the job done. All of the moaning and groaning here may change things but not by much and not very fast. I do not really care if the person behind me gets a number or not, or if the go to GT4 and are done by 9:15 it is really none of my business and really isn't the business of anyone else. The bottom line boils down to weather you have your paper work in order and you arrived early enough to get a Q number, anyone who has been here for a few months should know the drill by now and if you do not back to personal responsibility

Doing your immigration adventure, onced a year for extension and 4 times for 90 day report unless you report by mail or online or pay someone to do for you, is a personal responsibility, I guess I can appreciate those who are trying to make it better but in the end it is down to me to get the job done. All of the moaning and groaning here may change things but not by much and not very fast. I do not really care if the person behind me gets a number or not, or if the go to GT4 and are done by 9:15 it is really none of my business and really isn't the business of anyone else. The bottom line boils down to weather you have your paper work in order and you arrived early enough to get a Q number, anyone who has been here for a few months should know the drill by now and if you do not back to personal responsibility

I agree it is my responsibility as it is every ones personal responsibility.

How ever when some one is new here they do not have all the information needed. Most of them don't look at Thai Visa and if they did they might leave. Look at the number of posters who do nothing but criticizes continuously and the number who say no problem. For every positive post you get ten negative posts. Some have nothing to do with helping the new comer they are trying to drive a business out of business. It is one that helps people for a price if they are willing to pay it. They never mention that there are several others that will do the job for you only they charge more. In the process it speeds up the service in the immigration offices. They are able to handle more each day.

What is needed is a better system of getting the information to every one. Perhaps a pamphlet in their native language when they first land here with a list of where the various offices are so they can go in and get the forms before and get help to fill them in then take them in.. What is needed is a way to get the information to the new comers.

Just a thought.

Got to immigration at 7.45 today. Retirement queue 29 people and 90 days about 90. At 8.10 g4t opened. At 8.40 immigration staff started to check paperwork. I had no confidence that I would get a ticket, so I took the easy way out and coughed up 4900 baht to g4t. My paperwork was in order. Took the guy 10 minutes to check. Told me to come back 2p.m. he said all morning clients got their visa same time. Ioutside, the ticket lady had reached number 4. By 10a.m. I was eating breakfast at my local. I returned at 2, had my photo taken by immigration and got my passport back. Outside, the 90 days were full. Only 100 tickets available. Retirement maximum of 35, so had I waited all day, I would have been processed by close of play. Instead I am sitting on my balcony at 3 enjoying a cold beer. At just over 8 quid a month, it's stress free.

However, I resent having to pay for a service that should be accommodated by immigration for free and in a reasonable time frame as happens elsewhere in Thailand.

Closed for maintenance.

Reopened. This topic is significantly lighter now after a complete sweep through it. From now on this topic is strictly on questions regarding Promenada and personal experiences dealing with the office. Anything else will be removed.

I'm getting quite tired of the bickering and useless chatter and thus the long break by shutting this topic down. Most members come to this topic to get current on what is going on and not be buried in noise. Please have respect for other members.

Ok, now it's reopened, I can give my feedback wink.png

I did my retirement extension on the 20th, last week...

Arrived at 10.00 am and tried the queue card way to no avail. The young man at front desk told me (but he was not really sure) 34 QC this day, no more....

Went to G4T with all my paperwork ready. The young guy checked all, asked me for 3000 Baht (service) + 1900 Baht (Imm fee) and told me to come back at 2.00 pm. Took me 15 minutes...

Then had a coffe, then went to my weekly shopping to Big C and Macro, and had a lunch...

Back to Promenada at 2.00 pm. Direct to G4T: my passport was ready (stamped and billed), just waiting for me. Then a young woman from G4T staff drove me inside Imm Office for a photo in front of a computer (along with another foreigner): smile, clic-clac, done. Then she gave me back my passport. Took me about another 15 minutes...

And bye-bye: meet you next year.

Very easy, no worry, no hurry...

rolleyes.gif

As well, some details to clear a bit (maybe) all the fuss...

At first: I asked a Imm staff (not a G4T staff!) about the picture blue background. Official answer: it is NOT madatory. It can be white, grey, or whatever it is (in a classic way, I suppose), but in a 4x6 cm size.

As a matter of fact, my pic (from last year) had a light grey background and a 4x5 cm size, and it was accepted. No comment and no problem about that...

Second: Requirements were exactly the same as since years ago. Nothing has changed: nothing more, nothing less....

Third: Everybody (G4T and Imm) was polite and smiling. Very efficient with gentle manners...

Just to say...

I'm a quiet guy living a quiet and happy life in Chiangmai.

Since 10 years I've been living here, it's the first time I use an agency for my extension. Untill now, I managed to do it by myself at Airport Office: awoke early or got a line appointment (as last year: the best way).

This time, I decided to get it easy, and I don't regret it: for 3000 Baht, it's worth it IMHO. No time lost, no night queueing, peace of mind and a lightning service...

I suppose any agency would offer the same service capability. But G4T being on site, I feel it's even easier. And no, I've no connection with them ...

But I understand "everyone sees midday at its own door".

wink.png

Report from Tuesday the 19th

Arrived 5.30 to be number 14 in the queue. By the time they were handing out tickets there were about 34 in the queue so you could have turned up at 7.30 and been OK. Not sure if everyone got a ticket but think they did. Told to come back at 11am, seem a little after that and told to collect passport after 2pm. All ready when I went at 4pm.

Think I could have done my re-entry there and then, but my papers were not ready. Went back on Thursday about 9.30, had my papers checked and went straight in to the desk to get a re-entry stamp. 15 minutes maximum.

For 90 day, at about 6.30 a literal bus load of people arrived, all one group, to join the queue. Far too many in the queue for me to count but they all seemed to get a ticket.

Think I could have done my re-entry there and then, but my papers were not ready.

If you received your retirement extension, what "papers" were not ready?

Needed for re-entry permit:

• Passport with a valid Thai visa/extension
  • Copies of the photo page, current visa page, and immigration departure card
  • Copy of extension stamp page
  • Re-entry permit application (form TM 8)
  • One 4x6cm passport photo
  • 1,000 baht for single re-entry permit; 3,800 baht for multiple re-entry permit

Trujillo - didn't have the photocopies or photos, as it was already after 4pm and I had had enough for the day I went home. If I had picked up my passport at 2pm there would have been no problem doing the re-entry the same day.

I believe there is a photo and photocopy shop just adjacent to immigration. I think they are open past 4pm. For future ref.

And since there are no hand-out numbers for re-entries, in theory you should be able to just saddle up and get it done before closing time -- it takes literally 3 minutes to process (or it did for me).

took hours longer then airport office ever did for an extension.
could be increased demand over a year ago, not sure.

there is a free shuttle there and back which was a plus.
whole procedure felt very sterile with some moron trying to pronounce names on the loudspeaker continually. i prefer the old airport office.

I arrived at Promenada Immigration at 0815 hours. When I saw the amount of people standing in line, I thought they were giving something away. It was obvious, I wouldn't be able to receive a queue so rather than leaving to try again, I used GT4. This is the first time I have had to use a visa service. They charged me 3500 for the one year extension and multi-entry.

It is unbelievable, one has to pay these people to get inside immigration. GT4 is a very lucrative business.

If immigration is still being run like this next year, I'll hire a professional visa service to assist me in getting the one year visa extension and multi-entry.

I arrived at Promenada Immigration at 0815 hours. When I saw the amount of people standing in line, I thought they were giving something away. It was obvious, I wouldn't be able to receive a queue so rather than leaving to try again, I used GT4. This is the first time I have had to use a visa service. They charged me 3500 for the one year extension and multi-entry.

It is unbelievable, one has to pay these people to get inside immigration. GT4 is a very lucrative business.

If immigration is still being run like this next year, I'll hire a professional visa service to assist me in getting the one year visa extension and multi-entry.

You probably would have received a queue number for a retirement extension. They don't start to hand out the queue tickets until after 8:30 am and checking everyone's paperwork around 9 am. Of course, you wouldn't have been seen until the afternoon. Doing what you did was the expedient way, but if you'd just be patient for another 45 minutes you could have saved yourself some money. Recent reports are that everyone in the retirement extension queue is receiving a queue ticket.

I'm not saying what you did was wrong -- just pointing out that your situation wasn't hopeless.

I have a newbie question, I do not live in TH yet.

For 90 day reporting do you receive notification (email/mail) of when you have to report, or do you just turn up on a date of your choosing prior to expiry date?

Or do they give you a specific date to return each time your reporting paperwork is processed?

Basically how do you know when to go?

I have a newbie question, I do not live in TH yet.

For 90 day reporting do you receive notification (email/mail) of when you have to report, or do you just turn up on a date of your choosing prior to expiry date?

Or do they give you a specific date to return each time your reporting paperwork is processed?

Basically how do you know when to go?

Details for reporting can be found here - 90 Day Report - Procedures

For reporting in person you can do it 15 days before to 7 days after expiration. You will receive a receipt that has your next reporting date on it.

You have been very wrongly informed. You did not have to pay those people that kind of money there are several others willing to do it for you at a lot higher cost. I would not recommend Star visa as they seem to cater more to Thai's looking for Visa to other countries. A friend of mine used them for his first year one and says he was unhappy with the service and the cost. I used them to get a visa for my wife and when I asked them about a single reentry for me they gave me the run around. Besides that they wanted 1,000 baht. I did it myself took about half an hour.

You probably would have received a queue number for a retirement extension. They don't start to hand out the queue tickets until after 8:30 am and checking everyone's paperwork around 9 am. Of course, you wouldn't have been seen until the afternoon. Doing what you did was the expedient way, but if you'd just be patient for another 45 minutes you could have saved yourself some money. Recent reports are that everyone in the retirement extension queue is receiving a queue ticket.

I'm not saying what you did was wrong -- just pointing out that your situation wasn't hopeless.

I certainly appreciate your optimism, but there was no way immigration would have handed out queues to that many people. They even stopped handing out 90 day queues that morning. The reason I used GT4 was so I wouldn't have to return home and go through the same nonsense the following day.

Chiang Mai Immigration is woefully unprepared to accommodate the amount of people who they require to report to their office daily, unless you either pay or show up at immigration at some ridiculous hour in the morning.

If immigration continues to refuse to re-instate the online queue system, I will simply hire one of the professional visa services (not GT4) next year to obtain my one year visa extension and multi-entry stamp.

I'm not certain if this is true or not but I have heard rumours, immigration may even discontinue the 90 day reporting by mail. The 90 day reporting has to be one of immigrations more nonsensical requirements.

Actually it's not rocket science. There are some 6000 Farangs in Chiang Mai IIRC, the numbers were posted a while ago. Given about 220 working days a year, divided by 4, this makes about 100 persons a day. Half of which probably report online, by mail or just fly out.

So it's 50 reports a day they need to handle. In 8h this makes one report every 10 mins.

If the online booking for "retirement" visa is not available or working effectively when our renewal is due in 9 months time we will use G4T as they are cheaper, quicker and conveniently located for the reasons everyone probably know by now.

If G4T are still in business at that time then we can assume that ptb, nationwide and locally, have accepted the situation for one reason or another and that the cash cow is going nowhere.

As we are not confident of a solution at Ch Imm in the forseeable future we have started saving. ?

Archived