Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

Actually it's not rocket science. There are some 6000 Farangs in Chiang Mai IIRC, the numbers were posted a while ago. Given about 220 working days a year, divided by 4, this makes about 100 persons a day. Half of which probably report online, by mail or just fly out.

So it's 50 reports a day they need to handle. In 8h this makes one report every 10 mins.

Can you clarify your statement. We already know from previous posts that there have been as many as 180 queue cards given in one day and people told to come back tomorrow.

Nancy had reported that their was 5,250 reported retirement extensions in 2014. She had received those figures when Immigration was talking to her. I have no doubt what so ever that 2015 had more but 750 seems a bit high to me.

Also these people have to check in every 90 days not just once a year, In addition to these people I believe there are other type of visas that require a 90 day check in. Not sure on that. Still your numbers do not work out. Every 90 days works out to one day under 13 weeks which only leaves 65 working days to report in. Also to figure in and I have no way of knowing is the fact that many of them report early and wind up some place down the line making 5 reports in 360 days. As you say there are mail in's and on line that we don't have any figures on, But the fact remains that there are well over 50 a day checking in. I can remember at the airport going in shortly after lunch and getting numbers in the 60s to the 70s.

Edit

Just want to say it is a stupid thing reporting in every 90 days when you are a permanent resident.

But then we all know that.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I had the numbers from Nancy in mind. Most are obviously retirees as you can see at the long queues at Promenada. Add some more marriage and other Os and you arrive at the number I estimated. Even if it would be double than that, 12000 farangs, it would still make one report in 5 mins. That is already divided by 4.

Yes, I had the numbers from Nancy in mind. Most are obviously retirees as you can see at the long queues at Promenada. Add some more marriage and other Os and you arrive at the number I estimated. Even if it would be double than that, 12000 farangs, it would still make one report in 5 mins. That is already divided by 4.

We can not be exact with the math but the fact is they are still getting as high as 180 queue numbers handed out.

Let us say that it averages out to 120 a day. That would be one every 4 minutes. That would still leave the mail in and the lucky to get through on line filing.

Let us not even try to pretend that the 120 a day are ready when they get to the officers desk many times I have witnessed them having to help them. Also what about the agents with more than one. Last time I was there they had to take one lady to another desk leaving just the one and as you know they have the next person in line sitting next to the one they are dealing with. The lady next to me got hers done no problem and then brought out another one. Which also was no problem.

Bottom line is there is a heck of a lot more people than the retiree's filing every 60 days. Do the work permits have to file? How about the ones with educational visa's do they have to file every 90 days. The subject is a useless one as we only have one number and the number of walk ins can not be done in that time frame. It would be interesting to know how many different Visas have to do a 90 day but I am not going to wade through the immigration laws to find it. I will just work with what we have which is a whole bunch of guesses and not worth the time.

It's not just people with one-year retirement extensions who have to file 90 day reports. Also, one-year marriage, volunteer, business, dependent, etc, etc extensions. I don't have the numbers, but I'd estimate that retirement extensions are a small part of the total long-term extensions.

NorthernJohn's right. At this time they're distributing 180 queue cards for 90 day reports at Promenada and it's not uncommon for them to run out of queue cards for the day very early in the morning.

It's not just people with one-year retirement extensions who have to file 90 day reports. Also, one-year marriage, volunteer, business, dependent, etc, etc extensions. I don't have the numbers, but I'd estimate that retirement extensions are a small part of the total long-term extensions.

NorthernJohn's right. At this time they're distributing 180 queue cards for 90 day reports at Promenada and it's not uncommon for them to run out of queue cards for the day very early in the morning.

I heard the other day that the 90 day reports do 90 reports in the morning and the rest after 1 PM

I had not heard this before

So if you do not want to stay all day at Immigration

Be Early to get a number below 90

Do the work permits have to file? How about the ones with educational visa's do they have to file every 90 days.

Just to clarify, anyone who is in country for more than 90 days have to file a TM47 regardless of permission of stay status, marriage, WP, students, etc. The only ones who do not have to are the ones that are naturalized citizens and those with permanent residency.

I heard the other day that the 90 day reports do 90 reports in the morning and the rest after 1 PM

No, that's not wasn't the case when I did my retirement extension on January 11th. They were still processing 90 day reports at 2:30 pm.

No, that's not wasn't the case when I did my retirement extension on January 11th. They were still processing 90 day reports at 2:30 pm.

Misunderstanding, I think.

Lizard2010 sounds to me as if he's saying they process the first ninety 90 day reports in the morning and the remaining 90 day reports after 1:00 pm., thus if you'd like to be processed in the morning you should hope for a queue number of 90 or below.

Lizard2010 sounds to me as if he's saying they process the first ninety 90 day reports in the morning and the remaining 90 day reports after 1:00 pm., thus if you'd like to be processed in the morning you should hope for a queue number of 90 or below.

That's the way I understood Lizard2010 post also.

Yes i did not specifie correctly

You worded it better than me

I don't want to defend or blame anyone, this was just a rough estimation with the numbers of farangs. So perhaps it's not 6000 but double.

Calculate it backwards, 180 reports a day equal to 2.7 mins for one on a full 8 hours day. Or ~10000 people within a 55 days timeframe of the year (220 working days divided by 4 to accommodate the 90 days requirement, immigration is closed on weekends and holidays). So it's not really that far away from what I wrote earlier.

Certainly there are peek periods like over the holidays, and lesser active times. Bit of advanced planning could easily resolve the overload.

I think it was Nancy who posted earlier that part of the problem was understaffing and Bangkok won't release any more funding to increase the staffing levels, (Apologises if it wasn't Nancy) or at least that's what Chiang Mai are reporting.

Fortunately I report to Amnat Charoen (which has no such problems) who deal with approximately 2,000 extensions per annum, but probably nearer 3,000 doing 90 day reports every 3 months, and cover Amnat, Yasothon and Roi Et Districts.

Anyway my point being that Amnat have now informed us that they will be opening a new Immigration office in Roi Et come August time.

Amnat will continue covering only 2 Districts.

Now it seems to me that if the funding can be found to open a new office within a District that is under no pressure, then what's the real reason behind no further funding to alleviate the problems in Chiang Mai. Maybe it's too lucrative a business at the moment, if you get my drift, with CM Immigration appearing to wear the left glove and G4T wearing the right glove.

Why rock the money train, it works for them!

I think it was Nancy who posted earlier that part of the problem was understaffing and Bangkok won't release any more funding to increase the staffing levels, (Apologises if it wasn't Nancy) or at least that's what Chiang Mai are reporting.

Fortunately I report to Amnat Charoen (which has no such problems) who deal with approximately 2,000 extensions per annum, but probably nearer 3,000 doing 90 day reports every 3 months, and cover Amnat, Yasothon and Roi Et Districts.

Anyway my point being that Amnat have now informed us that they will be opening a new Immigration office in Roi Et come August time.

Now it seems to me that if the funding can be found to open a new office within a District that is under no pressure, then what's the real reason behind no further funding to alleviate the problems in Chiang Mai. Maybe it's too lucrative a business at the moment, if you get my drift, with CM Immigration appearing to wear the left glove and G4T wearing the right glove.

Well stated (and your posts regarding the on-line 90 day reporting were pretty helpful when that was first initiated.)

All of the reports that we've seen about "it's all Bangkok's fault" have come from third person conversations with the employees who work at CM Immigration. So your last paragraph....well, you know.

The proverbial sore thumb!

Went with a friend on Thursday to get a 30 day extension for a tourist visa. Arrived at 2pm, took about 1 hour total.

I went with two friends on Wednesday just about the same time frame. That included the two girls out front being very helpful with the filling out of the forms a trip next door to get the photocopies All told about an hour and a half.

I noticed that they had pictures that they used. The pictures were on a grayish white back ground. I noticed that the photographer there had a blue background he was using to take pictures. 200 baht for 6 of them.

I took the opportunity to look around. they had given out 150 queue cards for the 90 day and had more to give out. I looked at the queue card the person they were serving and it was number 129. Looks like that service is moving right along.

I asked about the 365 day extensions and the girls said they had given out 30. Was unable to see the number of the lady they were serving. I did not ask her what it was as she was probably an agent. She had two passports.

All told about the same as it had been at the airport where they had two agents handling the extensions and very rarely could handle 60 clients. I recall several years ago hearing them announce at 11:00 in the morning all people with over number 17 come back this afternoon.

A friend of mine went in at 3:15 this morning. He says the parking was all blocked and he had to move a barricade to get in. He said that on the positive side the bathroom opened at 5:15. He was number one there and put some thing ion his seat. went for a walk for a few minutes came back and there was 7 seats with some thing on them and no one there. They came about 8:15. sounds like a group gets together selects one to go early. He met a lady who does what an agent does. she charges 3,000 baht plus the 1,900 baht. Also picks you up and takes you home. She only does one a day.

He didn't notice how many queue cards were handed out. He was number one and they opened a little late. It only took him 5 minutes inside. He had all his papers properly filled out and signed. He was telling me that the fellow who took care of him was from the airport office.

He also says he met a lady who was just there as an observer for immigration due to the complaints. If in fact she was on the level and was with immigration it would not take long to see that lack of staff was the problem and being how the money to pay for staff comes from Bangkok we might see a change when they draw up their next budget when ever that is. Then it will take them time to figure out what to do with it.

Did my retirement extension today. Had an appointment withG4T in 10 days but they called and asked if I could come earlier. Went at 11:00am and was told to come back at 2:00pm after signing my name at least a dozen times. Left at 11:15 and returned at 2:00 pm,I was immediately ushered into Immigration and took picture and was gone by 2:10. Total time 25 mins. Was worth the 3000b

Was talking to a friend today, he mentioned one of our friends went for a retirement extension, arrived at 0730hrs and ended up being 31 in the queue

told come back next day.

Turned up the next day at 0600hrs and received a queue number

That day, 30 queue number were issued for retirement extensions

With respect to 90 day reporting, a figure of 150 was mentioned

We talked about C of R, it appears IMM PROM will issue them, however you have to wait 30 days (at no cost, as the rest of Thailand)

Go next door to G4T and for a fee of 500 Baht, you'll have it the next day

Bearing in mind, ALL C of R are ISSUED by IMM Pro

Say no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

popped in to promenade this morning,for renewal extension of stay,arrived 8.am quiet surprised to see only 6 people in queue received number 007.yes there was e few comments about number.any way all sorted by 10 am, went home returned at 3 picked up passport.must admit after 10/11 extension of stays this was up there with best.some good guys there doing there thing and had a nice chat with a few,not many for 90 days about 15, re entry permit about 10. extension tourist visa about 30/ 40 seem very efficient to me the system.in fact the place was nearly empty when I left at 10oclock.no one waiting outside.

popped in to promenade this morning,for renewal extension of stay,arrived 8.am quiet surprised to see only 6 people in queue received number 007.yes there was e few comments about number.any way all sorted by 10 am, went home returned at 3 picked up passport.must admit after 10/11 extension of stays this was up there with best.some good guys there doing there thing and had a nice chat with a few,not many for 90 days about 15, re entry permit about 10. extension tourist visa about 30/ 40 seem very efficient to me the system.in fact the place was nearly empty when I left at 10oclock.no one waiting outside.

Today must have been a quiet day

As last time i was there to do my 90 day there was at least 15 to 20 fro extension

I had no 25 for my 90 day

Maybe its quiet but next week could be busy again

What I would like to see is a proper scheme for Farlang retirees in Thailand, something on similar lines to the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) Programme, that gives precise clear explained details of what’s involved with incentives to attract the more affluent retirees. Details, http://www.joy-stay.com/WhatisMM2HP.html

In the (MM2H) Programme people that can afford it are not excluded from being full blown members of Malaysian society and not treated like third rate hangers on. Everyone knows the deal before they arrive there; they don’t have to rely on a forum for information, which is ridiculous when thinking about it. At one time I was thinking of retiring to Malaysia myself, only put off that it’s a Muslim country heading towards sharia law and heard their currency is very unstable. I think if Thailand want’s retirees then at least they could make better efforts to accommodate us and let us know exactly where we stand and not the take it or leave it attitudes they seem to have now.

Went to Promenada on Jan 25 to check on my 90 day report. I had mailed it in on Jan 8 and hadn't received the slip back. Since it was the last day before I had to pay (I was 7 days overdue already) I had done all copies and the form again to report in person. I arrived 14:30 and they told me 90 days full. I explained to the girls that I had mailed it in two weeks ago and they sent me just to the processing table. the one lady wanted to send me back but another one had the boy look it up in the computer. They couldn't find anything there but didn't want to process it right there and then and sent me to the airport office.

At airport office at the side the older official who likes talking and the girl were sitting. They did't seem to have work, so they looked at my EMS slip from the post office and looked into the computer again and didn't find anything.

He told me that they don't have enough time to process all the mail ins. I should do 90 days online or come in person. He also told me that coming in late after mailing in gets a 4000 Baht fine. Then he processed the passport and let me go.

So if you mail it in, do it early enough. I had copied my last slip also to be able to go in person if necessary. I also did online for some of my kids but it didn't work for my son, although I used the same computer and did it exactly the same way. I was also never able to do online for myself. there must be some differences in how they have registered the passports in their computer.

In November I went to Promenada 3:30 in the afternoon and was still able to do 90 days. there are busy times and then there are times when it is quiet.

He told me that they don't have enough time to process all the mail ins. I should do 90 days online or come in person. He also told me that coming in late after mailing in gets a 4000 Baht fine. Then he processed the passport and let me go.

Appears to be the same guy who keeps saying that but yet still see reports of mail in 90 days working. Also is the opposite of what the head IO said in a meeting and he prefers the mail in to be used. Also he obviously doesn't know the regulations as it is a 2000 baht fine unless arrested and should be contested if attempts to get 4000 if walking in late.

Would say he just doesn't want to do them and pass them off to Promenada where they also do not have enough time to handle them.

I wish they would get their act together and facts straight among them. Left hand/right hand thing. smile.png

I wish they would get their act together and facts straight among them. Left hand/right hand thing. (quote from Tyways)

I would really like the various employees to be held accountable for spreading false info. running scams and not following the official national Imm. rules. I am not holding my breath but really, enough is enough.

.... and that little bit about the poor workers needing to "buy their own supplies" ? what supplies? ink for the stamp pads?, ball point pens? sheeesh.

There are sending out a comprehensive "how to" form when returning 90 day mail in's now, seems a bit pointless as the report has already been accepted etc.

Just wondered if they are giving them out to the 90 day q's at Promenada which would make more sense? 1507625.GIF

Archived