Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

An agent then took me aside and said she could fix everything for a fee of 300. I wasn't keen and besides, I had the day off yesterday thankfully. She then said I could give Promenada a go, so I did.

This angers and terrifies me in equal measure.

It also makes me wonder why they even talked to them. Why did they not just look at it and tell them right away to go to Promenada?

It was my understanding that they do not do 90 day there.

There have been reports on here that those on retirement extensions have to use Promenada and others such as marriage/work can use airport. Not enough reports of this to be a certainty though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they check, if you have done the TM28/30, when you go for Visa extension?

Did my 1-year retirement extension today, no questions about TM30. smile.png

Great, done by 11:20. How early had you arrived? Cheers...

Arrived 03:30, done 09:20

Arrived 03:30, done 09:20

Was your passport returned and you were free to go at 9:20 or did you have to wait until the afternoon for the approval as has been the practice since the move to Promenada?

did you happen to noticeArrived 03:30, done 09:20

I see where you were done at 9:20 were you the first in line or the second in line? If you were the first 20 minutes would be 3 an hour and 24 a day. Unless there was more than two officers handling the applicants.

Did you happen to notice if all 30 queue numbers were passed out?

Apologies if answered already, but the site is so slow here that I can't wait that long to read all the pages.

Have they restarted on line bookings for non O extensions?

Can someone give me an update on the paperwork for retirement required please. It changes every time I have done an extension previously.

Thank you.

@northernjohn

I was second in line, but they (two officers) had a very slow start until they got everything going with the applications. I estimate the time for my application was about 5 minutes. No idea if they passed out all the 30 numbers.

I returned at 15.30 and my passport was ready.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read of people arriving at immigration at 3am and 4am.

I decided not to 'reply' to those posters, as I don't wish to get into a flame war.

Besides, I'm irritated by the method, not the individual choice to participate in the earlybird madness. If it floats your boat, go for it!

Having said that, this is a classic response to a dysfunctional system!

What if everybody swallowed their fear of 'missing out' -on what exactly? A 'deli' number!

Show up at 8am or thereafter, and force the authorities to concede that this method is unworkable, instead of working with the dysfunction.

I am about to do my 3rd report. I will never get there before 7am and if it means going back the next day (never had to, and always finished by 1pm latest with passport in hand) then so be it. By that I mean if they ask me to come back at 3pm, I will come back the next day. No skin off my nose, and I have better use of my time than lose an entire day, rather make it two morning segments.

I will also try the Airport, as my bank letter is out that way anyway, and report back on whether that's still a going concern

Hi - I need to get my Residence Book endorsed & are thinking of doing it in CNX. I’m not totally up to speed with what’s happening at this immigration office, so my questions are:

Which office. Promenada or the old one by the airport?

Would I need to queue early, which queue?

If I turned up on a mid morning or mid afternoon what would be the likelihood of being served? I don’t really want to be told to come back the next day.

All tips appreciated, many thanks.

Hi - I need to get my Residence Book endorsed & are thinking of doing it in CNX. I’m not totally up to speed with what’s happening at this immigration office, so my questions are:

If I turned up on a mid morning or mid afternoon what would be the likelihood of being served? I don’t really want to be told to come back the next day.

This is a new request as there are probably not that many in CM with PR. My guess would be at the Airport immigration office as it is still the central office for Chiang Mai and believe all PR related matters go through them. As this is a rather minor function, along the lines of transferring info to a new passport, believe arriving in the morning will get you serviced.

This is a new request as there are probably not that many in CM with PR. My guess would be at the Airport immigration office as it is still the central office for Chiang Mai and believe all PR related matters go through them. As this is a rather minor function, along the lines of transferring info to a new passport, believe arriving in the morning will get you serviced.

Thanks for this. Think I will call the guys at the airport immigration first, just to confirm. I'm not travelling for another 2 months, so will report back after that.

Cheers

I decided not to 'reply' to those posters, as I don't wish to get into a flame war.

Besides, I'm irritated by the method, not the individual choice to participate in the earlybird madness. If it floats your boat, go for it!

What if everybody swallowed their fear of 'missing out' -on what exactly? A 'deli' number!

Show up at 8am or thereafter, and force the authorities to concede that this method is unworkable, instead of working with the dysfunction.

I am about to do my 3rd report. I will never get there before 7am and if it means going back the next day (never had to, and always finished by 1pm latest with passport in hand) then so be it. By that I mean if they ask me to come back at 3pm, I will come back the next day. No skin off my nose, and I have better use of my time than lose an entire day, rather make it two morning segments.

I will also try the Airport, as my bank letter is out that way anyway, and report back on whether that's still a going concern

I agree with the comment that the crowd fear feeds on itself to where people arrive earlier and earlier and they don't really need to. When I did my retirement extension in January, I got my documents together and came out 44 days ahead of the expiration of my extension. I wasn't even sure that you could get an extension that far in advance; I came just to check out the situation. I arrived at 8:45 am, after the Immigration officials had already started to check documents for others in the queue, some of whom had been waiting since 3 am! Low and behold, I was given a queue ticket and was actually seen before lunch, with my passport returned before 2 pm.

Actually, I was kind of disappointed. I had looked forwarded to being told I was too late, to come back tomorrow and seeing how many decided to give up and go to G4T. No one did that day. At least if they got there by 8:45 am. The system worked exactly as it was suppose to.

Had a surreal experience at Promenada this morning, reminiscent of a '60s post-apocalyptic movie.

I arrived at 11:30 for a re-entry permit, fully expecting to have to return or use G4T. The place was deserted, from a distance it looked closed. Nobody was waiting in the immigration hall.

Then I noticed 4 "customers" talking to the ladies out front. I was the only one for re-entries at that point, so I was processed immediately, in less than 10 minutes. There were 2 couples applying for an extension (1 tourist and 1 retirement), The retirement couple were handed a number then and told that they could be processed immediately. Then the lady corrected herself saying that they had to wait until after lunch because the officers had already left. In the side waiting room (the one near the escalator) I counted a total of 5 or 6 people waiting. What a difference from just a few months ago!

greeting all

well here is my report on the im office at prom . now my wife and i had to both go in for our 90 day. we had to file in person because we started our new extension in november ,tried to do it on line but no go . so we got there around 8 30 am. ha ha well nothing has changed much got in back of the line and yes there where a lot there so we didn't get our 90 day Q number. and i am glad i did not . so i went to the visa agent next door . lmao ok so at 9 am we gave all our paper work to them. asked how much 300 bah each so thats $17.11 usd for us both took him ten min to get the new 90 day day and we where done .

Now it seems to me that' s a pretty good idea. so by 9 30 am we where done and on our to the mall and shop, so i ask you is it worth it to go in at 5 am sit there till 8;00 am when they start giving out numbers .( i have done that as well )and i must say this is much easier and less stress full . and then sit and wait some more depending on number to be called some times afternoon or pay 300 bah . be done in 10 min.

So as i looked back as we where leaving and the office at im, and it was packed with people waiting, all of that to save a small 300 bah which is just under 2 caramel macchiato venti 's at starbucks . and some country's like russia you can only use visa agents. so all in all i am now sold on using the agent next door . To me makes no difference , the whys and hows of it ,they provide a service for a good price. cheaper than most others. for what ever the reason and how its set up i could care less/ i value my time just as much . so that's it .

OMG, me and my husband have the same problem, and it is weird they dont allow me to give passport in his name. Can you tell us what agenc is that if it is according to rules of this forum?

I agree with the comment that the crowd fear feeds on itself to where people arrive earlier and earlier and they don't really need to. When I did my retirement extension in January, I got my documents together and came out 44 days ahead of the expiration of my extension. I wasn't even sure that you could get an extension that far in advance; I came just to check out the situation. I arrived at 8:45 am, after the Immigration officials had already started to check documents for others in the queue, some of whom had been waiting since 3 am! Low and behold, I was given a queue ticket and was actually seen before lunch, with my passport returned before 2 pm.

Actually, I was kind of disappointed. I had looked forwarded to being told I was too late, to come back tomorrow and seeing how many decided to give up and go to G4T. No one did that day. At least if they got there by 8:45 am. The system worked exactly as it was suppose to.

I believe it is 45 days before the due date to extend. You cherry picked one days experience the day before and the day after could have been very different.

Seems like the system is working how ever some times you don't get in to file until 3:30 in the afternoon that is how the system works you wait in line and the higher the number the longer you wait. It is just that people have finely realized the futility of posting the time it takes.

As to no one going to G4T I think people that go there are like me and don't bother to stand in the line for a couple of hours. When I did mine I went in about 1:30 in the afternoon.

I keep checking hoping to hear news of progress with the on line appointment system. I don't know if this is a no news is good news or some thing we hope doesn't happen like scrapping the idea. I know the consulates had met in some manner and presented a very good idea to immigration. Nothing since.sad.png

There have been reports on here that those on retirement extensions have to use Promenada and others such as marriage/work can use airport. Not enough reports of this to be a certainty though.

I had to go to the airport office yesterday as my online application was diverted to BKK instead of CM and that's where online's are processed. They establish your correct office from the address you provide on the second page, and all my details were identical to my last online submission; which was approved. "Nobody available" from the online team to talk to me, so had a chat with the walk-in guy Got nowhere in establishing whether my next online application would arrive where it should be; as it was obvious that he knew nothing about online applications.

Anyway - to the point. He agreed to do mine manually and so I left my lovely with the paperwork. Some time later she called me to say it was all done but I had to retrieve my passport in person! One and a half hours in heavy traffic - nice. Collected it [with a smile of course] and he said "New regulation, can only return passport to holder" even though there is a sign close by that states anyone can do the 90-day for you. He also said "You come back here in July" and when I mentioned that I am on a retirement extension he said "no matter, come here".

Take from all of that what you will. As clear as a muddy puddle.

How far in advance can you submit your papers for retirement visa extension? Is it one month?

It's 45 days, and I have just come from there today, with a related anecdote to share.

I arrived at 0810. There was a cast of thousands, but the 'Retirement/Medical' line was only 12 deep - I was numreo twelveo.

This is my first Promenada 'experience', (BTW my current bank is on CMU campus -that now needs to change, because I also dropped in to the Airport to confirm that currently, no retirement extensions are accepted there.)

Anyway, I prefer the annual 'cash-flash' method of extension, cheaper than getting a Consular letter, plus, I then immediately remove 2/3 of it out of here for the next 9 months, and live on the remaining 1/3 and overseas credit card (that's made for nomads, so no forex penalty, sweet!)

So this is where I came undone today.

I parked my 'flash cash' THB 800,000 on 26 january this year, well in advance of the 3 month limit as my actual renewal date is 28 May.

Subsequently, I decided to move this cash offshore again early, for an investment opportunity that has presented itself, and in order to do that, i figured, I'd bring my extension forward 45 days, but Songkran also got in the way, Ok no real drama there, I'll just go as soon as possible after Songkran.

So far so good, although I was caught off guard this morning when they checked all the papers before giving out a 'deli number' which was not the case at the airport, so this method of getting busy with the bank during the wait time, worked well for me prior the Promenada move, and by the way they started the deli number process after 0830.

So I was explaining to deli girl that I had everything in order, but the manager of my branch, who signs the pointless bank letter, was not available on Friday to sign, so I had planned to go and pick up the letter this morning during the tedious wait between the opening 'bell' and my turn.

Nong said, "Well I can't give you a number, come back tomorrow."

I smiled and departed, thinking i'd come back today anyway, and try a charm offensive after the guy in front of me in the line had been seen.

It all went splendidly, and I managed to blag my way into being seen *ahem* without a number, at about 1130 after the 'last' codger, the guy before me in line, had been sent on his way.

And then... Khun Sarge spotted a problem!

My funds had been deposited on 26 Jan and of course, today is the 25 April, 89 days later, and ONE DAY short of the 90 day requirement.

Sorry, Khun D, come back tomorrow!

I smiled, and graciously retreated. It was a pretty good effort on my part, charming my way that far to begin with, but I was just one day too early.

Boy, are they sticklers for the rules!

See you tomorrow Sarge! smile.png She's easy on the eye, so thats a bonus, I suppose.

This is the second story of them seeing someone for a retirement extension interview who hadn't received a queue number during the morning 8:30 exercise. In both cases, the people came early enough in the day that their passports and documents were going to make it in the pouch with the courier run of other applicants' documents going to the airport office in the early afternoon for signature approval. (Some days the supervisor may be coming to Prom office in the afternoon too do approvals.)

In any event, it's a good development that they're allowing late-coming people to be seen on days when they obviously have a light workload in the retirement extension dept.

This is the second story of them seeing someone for a retirement extension interview who hadn't received a queue number during the morning 8:30 exercise. In both cases, the people came early enough in the day that their passports and documents were going to make it in the pouch with the courier run of other applicants' documents going to the airport office in the early afternoon for signature approval. (Some days the supervisor may be coming to Prom office in the afternoon too do approvals.)

In any event, it's a good development that they're allowing late-coming people to be seen on days when they obviously have a light workload in the retirement extension dept.

It is indeed a good thing. Several times when I was over there I would ask about that and the girls would just say no more numbers.

The only thing I wonder about is he said retirement/medical. I have often seen no one at that desk. Maybe there is not that big a demand for that particular extension. Do they have a quota such as the normal extension which gives 25 numbers?

If there is no one for that particular extension the officer doing it should help with the regular ones.

Trip report: My 90 day address notification. I arrived there today, Wednesday 27 at 11:05. All was prepared and presented and I was given number 75. Apparently this is the last number before lunch. Lucky me. I was all finished with my 90 day address report at 11:40!!

Extension of Retirement Visa:

Arrived at Promenada this morning at 09.15hrs (late, I know....) and advised that all queue numbers for the day had already been allocated. Will return tomorrow much earlier.

Re-entry:

Also need a multiple re-entry stamp. Are queue tickets for this issued after lunch?

Thanks in advance.

Archived