Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

Not trying to rain on the whiners and criers parade. But this is reality. I went in there at 10:47 for my 90 day. I was given number 83 I went in and looked they were on number 70. One agent sat there with 4 reports. So much for the myth one customer to an agent. Regardless I was out of there at 11:10.

When I arrived and got my queue number I noticed they had only given out 17 one year extensions. I walked around and noticed that they were processing number 10 at the time. I talked with a lady who was getting a permission to enter 1 time. She said she got there and they took her right away.

Those are the facts as I experienced them and witnessed them for today in between 10:47 AM and 11:10 AM May 17 2016. Had a nice lunch at Ragu saw a movie did a minimum of shopping at Rimping got a free shuttle home and was home at 3:30.

I will admit if it had looked like it was going to be a long day such as people lead some to believe I would have walked next door paid the agent 300 baht and enjoyed my day. Then again I had forgot to bring my book. I was just about to talk to a guy when they called his number.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to rain on the whiners and criers parade. But this is reality. I went in there at 10:47 for my 90 day. I was given number 83 I went in and looked they were on number 70. One agent sat there with 4 reports. So much for the myth one customer to an agent. Regardless I was out of there at 11:10.

When I arrived and got my queue number I noticed they had only given out 17 one year extensions. I walked around and noticed that they were processing number 10 at the time. I talked with a lady who was getting a permission to enter 1 time. She said she got there and they took her right away.

Those are the facts as I experienced them and witnessed them for today in between 10:47 AM and 11:10 AM May 17 2016. Had a nice lunch at Ragu saw a movie did a minimum of shopping at Rimping got a free shuttle home and was home at 3:30.

I will admit if it had looked like it was going to be a long day such as people lead some to believe I would have walked next door paid the agent 300 baht and enjoyed my day. Then again I had forgot to bring my book. I was just about to talk to a guy when they called his number.

As we all know and has been posted many times

It depends on the day

Also the time of the year

It is like Russian roulette

Just like the air conditioned bus service

maybe Promenade was created to use agents

As far as im concerned its all old hat now

No good whining about it or constantly posting about it

We just have to accept it Chiang Mai is different

Plus i am entitled to my opinion

I don't past much anymore

as too many posters just post for the sake of it

i have better time than post

life is short we have to enjoy every day here

i feel better now i got it of my chest

One agent sat there with 4 reports. So much for the myth one customer to an agent.

It is one customer to an agent in the early morning queue for retirement extensions, except for a certain favored agent. Your report is about your 90 day report and anyone can submit your 90 day report for you, NJ -- you don't have to do it in person. That's why one agent can do 4.

Get your facts straight.

It depends on the day

Yes, that's right. Somehow Chiang Mai is different. Nowhere else in Thailand do retirees have to queue up at 3 am for a retirement extension. Nowhere else in Thailand are all the queue tickets for the day's business distributed before they start work for the day. Nowhere else in Thailand do retirees have to wait for hours while their passports are taken 25 KM. for approval. If they can't be approved on-the-spot, then they're given a receipt, their passports are held overnight in a safe and they are told to return the next day. Nowhere else in Thailand are retirees pushed to using agents. And nowhere else in Thailand is a province being promoted as heavily as a "long-stay retirement destination". There's a disconnect somewhere.

It depends on the day

Good that you now have that off your chest. Maybe others should look in the mirror and do the same.

This thread [and many others] appears to be mainly driven by testosterone and frustration. If [as is likely the case] Immigration are following threads such as this - in the land of Mai Pen Rai - they could justifiably be chuckling to themselves

It depends on the day

Yes, that's right. Somehow Chiang Mai is different. Nowhere else in Thailand do retirees have to queue up at 3 am for a retirement extension. Nowhere else in Thailand are all the queue tickets for the day's business distributed before they start work for the day. Nowhere else in Thailand do retirees have to wait for hours while their passports are taken 25 KM. for approval. If they can't be approved on-the-spot, then they're given a receipt, their passports are held overnight in a safe and they are told to return the next day. Nowhere else in Thailand are retirees pushed to using agents. And nowhere else in Thailand is a province being promoted as heavily as a "long-stay retirement destination". There's a disconnect somewhere.

Do we doubt that 'Bangkok' are aware of this 'anomaly'? Yet nothing much appears to be happening, after all the efforts of concerned people such as yourself. If efforts are being made, and changes planned, behind the scenes why is there no apparent communication to local staff - let alone we their 'customers'?

That's a very good question and it may be time for another round of emails to our local consuls and embassies in Bangkok. The more the better. The workload at Imm. Prom. is quieter in the summer months, but we all know it's just a matter of time until they're back to turning away more people than they serve. Nothing has changed. No sign of the long-promised local on-line queue on the horizon.

It depends on the day

I completely agree with you that is why I posted the facts with no opinions.

One agent sat there with 4 reports. So much for the myth one customer to an agent.

It is one customer to an agent in the early morning queue for retirement extensions, except for a certain favored agent. Your report is about your 90 day report and anyone can submit your 90 day report for you, NJ -- you don't have to do it in person. That's why one agent can do 4.

Get your facts straight.

So Nancy if they give out 150 queue numbers they may have 600 applications. I know any one can file it for me. I just pointed out that they can get one number and go in and represent many people.

It is not a 1 queue 1applicant system. Check back on the one where there was 5 agents 2 people for them selves in the line ahead of a fellow and instead of number 9 he got number 13 that was for a yearly extension. I noticed you didn't comment on that.

As I said I was an eye witness to the one at the 90 day and am relying on the honesty of the poster who got queue 13 when he was eighth in the line for the yearly extension.

"As I said I was an eye witness to the one at the 90 day and am relying on the honesty of the poster who got queue 13 when he was eighth in the line for the yearly extension."

NJ if you read hml367's post, you'll see that someone ahead of him in the retirement extension queue had his entire family with him and his dependents were also getting extensions. They obviously received the other queue numbers, which is why hml367 received queue number 13 when he was 8th in line. It isn't because the visa agents in the queue were receiving more than one queue number. And I can assure you that the "visa agent" you used for your annual extension was no where to be seen in that queue. They don't have to queue up for their "clients". Heck they don't even know how many clients they'll have that day. They just wait for them to wander in after all the queue numbers are distributed at 8:30 and then somehow magically they have special access to the Imm. office. Something no other visa agent has.

"As I said I was an eye witness to the one at the 90 day and am relying on the honesty of the poster who got queue 13 when he was eighth in the line for the yearly extension."

NJ if you read hml367's post, you'll see that someone ahead of him in the retirement extension queue had his entire family with him and his dependents were also getting extensions. They obviously received the other queue numbers, which is why hml367 received queue number 13 when he was 8th in line. It isn't because the visa agents in the queue were receiving more than one queue number. And I can assure you that the "visa agent" you used for your annual extension was no where to be seen in that queue. They don't have to queue up for their "clients". Heck they don't even know how many clients they'll have that day. They just wait for them to wander in after all the queue numbers are distributed at 8:30 and then somehow magically they have special access to the Imm. office. Something no other visa agent has.

NancyL,

Get your facts straight, as you like to say:

Where did I say I got any queue number at all? Where does it say I was in the retirement extension queue? Where did I say the family was getting an extension?

The desk that had a sign for Retirement extension was on the other side of the room from the desk I sat at.

I did not see the queue number on my paperwork, but there was a number... I didn't touch the paperwork inside that office.

I also put in my post that I did not know what the family in front of me was getting. I have no idea if they were getting extensions.

By the way... I was not in any line at any time.

People used to complain about anyone using ANY visa agency before the move to Promenada. Now apparently it is ok to use an agent as long as someone doesn't use an agent that you don't like. Your trying to make other people not like the agency does no one any good in my opinion - just as writing letters and emails would do no good.

The day I was there to do my extension,I returned at 2.30 to collect passport,

the official officer seemed to have finished her alloted number of applicants,

but on the computers was the nearby visa agent processing his own client,

so they seem to have a very special arrangement,which is no surprise If you

know the full story.

relax Countryman

Have been to Promenada several times for extensions, in my experience it does not work as well as the former service at the airport.

The final indignity today was the record on my papers showed me having paid the fee of 1,900 baht, I had actually paid 2,000 earlier in the day without any receipt, they disputed, I had no proof, but I have found Thais bow to visitors who make a fuss, they just reached into the money box and handed over 100 baht.

Although the whole processing is a shambles compared to the way things are done in the rest of Thailand, I did get into conversation with other applicants who informed me that using agents is the only option if you need your application to be processed smoothly. From what I have observed in the many hours I have spent there, that definitely is the case. The body language between the uniformed officers and the agents says it all. For those who object to using agents they may be overlooking the fact that all the staff are Thais and we applicants are not Thais.

The last 2 times I extended at the airport office were horrible. A complete shambles and the crowds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely prefer Promenada, though I haven't extended there. The only problems when I went for 90 days was no decent seating outside, and no number board.

Toilets- great

Restaurants- great

Go to shops/ movies after- great

Space- great

The main problem seems to be that they stopped on line booking. They also had early q's at the airport office.

I think I'll put the whole thing off for a year this time by getting a multiple entry visa- have never been to Laos or Cambodia. Be a chance for a tour of them this time.

NancyL,

Get your facts straight, as you like to say:

Where did I say I got any queue number at all? Where does it say I was in the retirement extension queue? Where did I say the family was getting an extension?

The desk that had a sign for Retirement extension was on the other side of the room from the desk I sat at.

I did not see the queue number on my paperwork, but there was a number... I didn't touch the paperwork inside that office.

I also put in my post that I did not know what the family in front of me was getting. I have no idea if they were getting extensions.

By the way... I was not in any line at any time.

People used to complain about anyone using ANY visa agency before the move to Promenada. Now apparently it is ok to use an agent as long as someone doesn't use an agent that you don't like. Your trying to make other people not like the agency does no one any good in my opinion - just as writing letters and emails would do no good.

hml367 -- you're right. I didn't read the previous threads properly. You used an agent, but you did observe how one person can obtain a retirement extension and account for needing several queue numbers because there are dependents tied to his retirement extension: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/881962-immigration-promenada-one-stop-service-2016/?p=10744307

hml367 -- you're right. I didn't read the previous threads properly. You used an agent, but you did observe how one person can obtain a retirement extension and account for needing several queue numbers because there are dependents tied to his retirement extension: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/881962-immigration-promenada-one-stop-service-2016/?p=10744307

NancyL,

You need to broaden your perspective. I never said the person was getting a retirement extension. As a matter of fact, the person did not look old enough to be eligible for a retirement extension. My opinion is that the person was not getting a retirement extension. And I repeat - I have no idea what the person or the people with him (presumably family, and all farangs) were getting. If it was not a retirement extension, as I believe it was not, there would not have been any dependents tied to a "retirement" extension.

In my experiences at Immigration at the airport road location (remember, this was my first experience at Promenada) families normally do all of their passports at once. Even international schools used to process all student passports at once.

The only reason I noted them in my post was because there was someone at that desk signing whatever was put in the passports. That same person signed my passport which was for a retirement extension and a reentry permit. In reading threads in the Chiang Mai forum it seemed to be that people were saying passports could not be signed at Promenada at the same time the paperwork was done. Mine was and every person that went to the desk I went to while I was there had their passports signed.

NancyL,

You need to broaden your perspective. I never said the person was getting a retirement extension. As a matter of fact, the person did not look old enough to be eligible for a retirement extension. My opinion is that the person was not getting a retirement extension. And I repeat - I have no idea what the person or the people with him (presumably family, and all farangs) were getting. If it was not a retirement extension, as I believe it was not, there would not have been any dependents tied to a "retirement" extension.

In my experiences at Immigration at the airport road location (remember, this was my first experience at Promenada) families normally do all of their passports at once. Even international schools used to process all student passports at once.

The only reason I noted them in my post was because there was someone at that desk signing whatever was put in the passports. That same person signed my passport which was for a retirement extension and a reentry permit. In reading threads in the Chiang Mai forum it seemed to be that people were saying passports could not be signed at Promenada at the same time the paperwork was done. Mine was and every person that went to the desk I went to while I was there had their passports signed.

The whole thing is being misrepresented. I pointed out that if you are number 8 in line you should get number 8 queue number. I don't care if you have 1,000 relatives. They are no better than you. The gentleman should have received number 8. If indeed it was a family. It was obvious that they were getting an extension as that was the line they were in. If there is other things getting queue numbers in that line makes no difference. They should get in line the same as the rest of us do except for those of us who speed the system up by getting known qualified agents who take far less time thereby allowing the officers to handle more people in the same amount of time.

I repeat it is not a one queue one customer system. As for the one officer signing both documents perhaps he was the man responsible for that job and he was helping out that day.

NancyL,

The person signing the passports is not the person responsible for the different extensions/ whatevers. He is the big cheese that has to approve ALL the extensions/ whatevers. Sometimes they send the passports to the airport office and sometimes he goes to Promenada.

And there are only four reasons reasons why a family group would be a Imm. Prom. -- getting 30 day extensions as tourists, getting one-year extensions tied to the retirement extension of the head of the family, getting a re-entry permit or to do their 90 day reports. It's been reported that they no longer accept TM30s at Imm. Prom.

Since you said you were using an agent hml367, I just assumed it was for a retirement extension. Surely, you're not using an agent for the other services offered at Imm. Prom., are you?

And there are only four reasons reasons why a family group would be a Imm. Prom. -- getting 30 day extensions as tourists, getting one-year extensions tied to the retirement extension of the head of the family, getting a re-entry permit or to do their 90 day reports. It's been reported that they no longer accept TM30s at Imm. Prom.

Since you said you were using an agent hml367, I just assumed it was for a retirement extension. Surely, you're not using an agent for the other services offered at Imm. Prom., are you?

As a matter of fact, as I already posted, I got the extension, a reentry permit, and the 90 day report all in that one visit and all take care of by the agent all done at the desk I went to as far as I know. Is that what you are asking?

Why would you assume anything when it comes to dealing with Chiang Mai Immigration?

The people that went through the desk that I did seemed to me that none of them were old enough to have retirement status with Immigration. The people I saw going to the desk on the other side of the room with the sign that indicated Retirement looked to me like they probably were there for retirement reasons.

How about he is working here and has a B-visa his kids have education visas that he could be riding on so many possibilities and so many small minds trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill

How about he is working here and has a B-visa his kids have education visas that he could be riding on so many possibilities and so many small minds trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill

They don't handle B-visa and Ed visas at Imm. prom.

I would like to admit I made a mistake. In post number 255 I mistakenly posted an answer that could very easy been considered an answer to HM1367 and Nancy.

It was actually a post number192 by yang123 that I was referring to. One where he was siting number 9 in the line for his yearly extension with 5 agents ahead of him and three people representing them selves. Yet he got queue number 13 rather than 9. Once again showing that makes no difference an agent can represent more than one to get a queue number. According to Nancy the agency next door doesn't have to do that they just slip in at 2:00 in the afternoon.

Must be the other agencies.

We all know that most mornings it is rather hectic and some people get there extremely early.

I for one find it highly unfair that one queue number can be used by more than one person both in the yearly and the 90 day reports.

But it seems to me that in the afternoons things aren't that bad. I just talk about the several times I have walked through there in the afternoons and looked at the numbers on the desk to see how many people had been served. If I don't want to do the 90 day report I will fill the form in and send my wife with it. She knows how it is done. She will get a number and just sit in line until it is called.

MY EXTENSION OF STAY (RETIREMENT) & RE-ENTRY EXPERIENCE WED, 18MAY...

Arrived at the Retirement/Medical que at 0440. Took seat #5.

By 0515 13 people in the que; by 0600 approx 30 people.
At 0840 personnel handed out que cards; I got #6- some guy had rolled up in a wheelchair at 0700 and set himself at the front & got #3. I asked him later if he had someone holding his spot and he said “no” but thought he was entitled because his “kids were sick” at home. He was not feeble-bodied and if I see him next year I’ll have him take his place in line just like the rest of us.
At 1000 I was called. A single IO was processing the applicants. I presented my passport, extension of stay form, bank book and letter. No tm30 or residency data was asked for. By 1015 the IO had completed her reviews, asked if I had an extra copy of my departure card which I provided. She took my photo and said to return at 1500 to pick up my passport.
Prior to my turn, I observed one person having to go next door to obtain new passport photos with a blue background as his application had a photo with a white background; and the person before me had the wrong color passport photo as well and his passbook date was 5 days prior to his bank letter- that the deposit amount was the same was immaterial (of course). He had to go out to correct these errors.
I arrived at 1500 and at 1520 the passports arrived and I was called 10 min later. I went next door to make a copy of the passport page with the updated extension of stay date and reported with the application form to the outside desk to obtain a que ## for a re-entry stamp. My number was called 10 minutes later and I received my single re-entry stamp. I observed that at the retirement desk due #25 was called and serviced.
I left at 1630.
All told, 20 minutes of face time with the immigration officers over the 12-hour day.
The IO’s were polite at all times.

Very nice and concise report. I'd have told the guy in the wheelchair to take his place at the back of the queue. Being disabled doesn't give you special privileges everywhere; sometimes it is appropriate, but other times it is not. The queue for visa extensions falls into the latter category.

Very nice and concise report. I'd have told the guy in the wheelchair to take his place at the back of the queue. Being disabled doesn't give you special privileges everywhere; sometimes it is appropriate, but other times it is not. The queue for visa extensions falls into the latter category.

Totally agree. I myself have a partial disability yet I ask for no favors or am I given them. I have seen people there in wheelchairs waiting that had much better seats than the rest of us. I don't envy them getting there. That in some cases could be a trifle hard but just sitting there is no big deal.

Yes, but in getting there at 7 am, would he even had received a queue ticket? According to jeffandgop's excellent report there already were 30 people in the queue by 6 am. Recent report are that they're just distributing 30 queue tickets a day. I wonder if his cutting the queue resulted in someone who'd come before him not getting a queue ticket.

Yes, but in getting there at 7 am, would he even had received a queue ticket? According to jeffandgop's excellent report there already were 30 people in the queue by 6 am. Recent report are that they're just distributing 30 queue tickets a day. I wonder if his cutting the queue resulted in someone who'd come before him not getting a queue ticket.

No doubt someone who should have rightfully received a queue tix did not. I told him that he had no shame for cutting in front of others and all of a sudden "my English not good I don't understand". Let's also point out he had to stay at Promenada all day to wait for his passport to be returned......................

At 0840 personnel handed out que cards; I got #6- some guy had rolled up in a wheelchair at 0700 and set himself at the front & got #3. I asked him later if he had someone holding his spot and he said “no” but thought he was entitled because his “kids were sick” at home. He was not feeble-bodied and if I see him next year I’ll have him take his place in line just like the rest of us.
At 1000 I was called. A single IO was processing the applicants. I presented my passport, extension of stay form, bank book and letter. No tm30 or residency data was asked for. By 1015 the IO had completed her reviews, asked if I had an extra copy of my departure card which I provided. She took my photo and said to return at 1500 to pick up my passport.
Prior to my turn, I observed one person having to go next door to obtain new passport photos with a blue background as his application had a photo with a white background; and the person before me had the wrong color passport photo as well and his passbook date was 5 days prior to his bank letter- that the deposit amount was the same was immaterial (of course). He had to go out to correct these errors.
I arrived at 1500 and at 1520 the passports arrived and I was called 10 min later. I went next door to make a copy of the passport page with the updated extension of stay date and reported with the application form to the outside desk to obtain a que ## for a re-entry stamp. My number was called 10 minutes later and I received my single re-entry stamp. I observed that at the retirement desk due #25 was called and serviced.
I left at 1630.
All told, 20 minutes of face time with the immigration officers over the 12-hour day.

Has anyone doing extension at Prom had a problem with the bank book not being updated same day as the application? Is there access to a bank ( Bkk bank in my case ) machine to update bank book before banks open- first in line can't go to the bank after it opens.

I left at 1630.

Has anyone doing extension at Prom had a problem with the bank book not being updated same day as the application? Is there access to a bank ( Bkk bank in my case ) machine to update bank book before banks open- first in line can't go to the bank after it opens.

There is no requirement for the bank book being updated the same day as applying for the extension.

The requirement is that the date of the bank book update & the bank letter "certifying" the fund amount in that account ARE the same date.

I obtain my bank book and letter anywhere from 3-5 days before applying for the extension and there has never been a problem.

I left at 1630.

There is no requirement for the bank book being updated the same day as applying for the extension.

The requirement is that the date of the bank book update & the bank letter "certifying" the fund amount in that account ARE the same date.

I obtain my bank book and letter anywhere from 3-5 days before applying for the extension and there has never been a problem.

You may need to make a transaction on that account to make the update date shown in your bankbook more current.

Archived