Learning Thai In Cnx

trawler

Trawler: I am looking now myself. AUA institute was recommended in this forum, but I went by on a Saturday and they were closed. Also, probably closed during Songgran.

Their phone number and course are advertised in Chiang Mai Life magazine.

Being retired, I am not yet sure I want to get up and go to downtown for an hours lesson. Will probably opt for a tutor.

If anyone reading this post knows of a Thai Language Teacher, with experience in teaching English speaking farang and whose English is good, please let me know. I live 8 km north on Mae Rim Road and would sure like someone to come to my air conditioned home to teach me three times a week or so.

Thks Mrnmp,just had a look at Payap Uni intensive Thai courses,3 months Mon-Thurs 3 hrs per day for around TB 6400,starts at newbie through to advanced.....

www,payap.ac.th/english

Not sure if it would suit you as near Carrefour so need to travel,but for me its about 15 mins and we are around 10 mins frm Mae Rim.cheers Trawler

Anybody any experience with Payap??????

I can recommend AUA, particularly Ajarn Oranute. AUA will be open after Songkran. The teachers also teach privately at your home. It used to be 290 baht per hour, but not sure if it's still the same.

Make sure to get a real teacher to teach you Thai, not just someone who is Thai. One really needs a teacher who can lay the proper groundwork for your future learning. Ajarn Oranute at AUA is the best and most experienced Thai Language teacher in Chiang Mai, in my experience.

I can recommend AUA, particularly Ajarn Oranute. AUA will be open after Songkran. The teachers also teach privately at your home. It used to be 290 baht per hour, but not sure if it's still the same.

I went to AUA a few years ago and ended up speaking reasonable Thai. It was the only period of my life in CNX when I was happy I was being understood. Sadly after dropping out due to pressure of work I was back to being a gibbering idiot again.

The AUA course worked for me, but I agree it also depends on the teacher and and one to one or a very small class size.

One thing which helped a lot was being able to read Thai before going on this course. Written Thai is phonetic in itself so the made up phonics of the AUA books could be ignored. For that I'd recommend Fundamentials of the Thai Language a very old book first published in 1956.

Guest Lazarus

The book can be downloaded. Do a google for fundamentals thai language.

Comes down by lessons. Very very good, and as Lamphun said, it makes it a lot easier.