Tourists turn jeep over in Samui

webfact

Tourists turn jeep over in Samui

tourists-turn-jeep-over-in-Samui.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Yesterday a jeep overturned between Hua Thanon and Namuang. The vehicle had been rented and was carrying five tourists.

It is believed that the vehicle overturned when the driver tried to avoid a collision with another vehicle and ended up in a grocery store. It is believed there were no fatalities in the incident although the occupants were all injured.

The nationality of those involved is yet to be confirmed. The traffic situation on Samui has been more problematic than usual over the Christmas period and those using the roads during the festive season should do so with caution.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-12-28

I expected the jeep to be in a ditch, not in a shop, seat belts?

Since the jeep is upside down, I would think wearing seat belts probably would have killed the people up front.

Maybe not. I once had a go in a rollover rig in Oman, with work. The seat belt holds you tight down in the seat, whilst inverted, can prevent partially exiting the vehicle, and being (partially)crushedsad.png.

Hoping the people get to enjoy at least some of their remaining time on Samui.

Got a few mates in Koh Samui now, hope its not them, but also hope that whoever was inside the jeep is ok.

The Jeep is Phuket registered, and the locals conclusion is that it was hired there.

The magnitude of the accident indicates excessive speed.

Samui traffic is at best 45kph at the moment, which is the limit in that area.

Got a few mates in Koh Samui now, hope its not them, but also hope that whoever was inside the jeep is ok.

The Jeep is Phuket registered, and the locals conclusion is that it was hired there.

The vehicle is a jacked-up Suzuki, not a Jeep, it's not difficult to overturn one of those with a combination of hard braking and swerving even at legal speeds so excessive speed is not necessarily indicated by the "magnitude" of this incident.

The vehicle is a jacked-up Suzuki, not a Jeep, it's not difficult to overturn one of those with a combination of hard braking and swerving even at legal speeds so excessive speed is not necessarily indicated by the "magnitude" of this incident.

Whatever it is, its screwed.

A jacked-up Suzuki with the word 'Jeep' pressed into the metal on the tailgate?

So they just hooked up a tow-wire and are about to just pull it out while still upside down ?? Has anyone checked that wall? Looks like it could be damaged to me - will it come away with the Jeep? Will the awning come down too? Are they going to remove all that damaged structure before pulling it out? Answer of course is 'Thai Style' - pull it out and see what happens.

Word to the wise - Thais are lovely people BUT - when it comes to these sort of things they have no process/training (and little common sense). Whenever I see Thai 'tradesmen' doing anything like this involving any building structures or damaged vehicles - I stay well away (never as close as those people watching). I remember once trying to say to a couple of Thais, that what they were about to do was dangerous. That was years ago and never again (it did not end well - Ambulance called). GF said we better go quickly or I will be blamed for the person getting hurt. Now I just stand back or walk away. Same with road accidents - drive away and call Ambulance if needed (unless a Farang). Hey - dont judge me on this - GF (now wife) remains adamant that I/we must not get involved in a Thai accident (stories on this website back that up).

WRONG! It is a Jeep CJ5 short wheelbase, clever clogs.

A jacked-up Suzuki with the word 'Jeep' pressed into the metal on the tailgate?

Aah yes, let me consider. A jacked up Suzuki, renowned for its instability, on tall skinny tires with 5 people added above the centre of gravity.....what could possibly go wrong. Same thing happened to five friends of mine years ago without any change to the vehicle's ride height. I don't think it was the same five people! Glad to hear no fatalities; most probably due to being thrown clear when the thing starts to go over as there is no superstructure to hold them inside.

Archived