I Like To Cook Indian Food. Are Ingredients Hard To Find?

Grover

The ingredients for the dahl I cook are all available with one exception, Garam Masala

Yellow split peas

Turmeric

Ginger

Cumin seeds

Coriander seeds

Garlic

Chili powder

Fresh coriander

Thanks for that. Is it the type of thing sold in the fresh food market? or would I have to find an Indian specialty shop?

All the abaove ingrediants can be found at Tops supermarket. As for the Garam masala, you can make your own using this basic recipe:

1 tsp Cloves

1 tsp Cardamom

2 one inch Cinnamon sticks

1 tsp Black pepper

Dry roast all the ingrediants seperately and grind. Store in an air tight container.

All the abaove ingrediants can be found at Tops supermarket. As for the Garam masala, you can make your own using this basic recipe:

1 tsp Cloves

1 tsp Cardamom

1 tsp Black pepper

Dry roast all the ingrediants seperately and grind. Store in an air tight container.

Thats great news, thanks for that :o

1 tsp Cloves

1 tsp Cardamom

1 tsp Black pepper

I use the black cardamom seeds, discarding the outer skin. However, it's very difficult to find the black ones here. I have mine brought from UK.

I also use cumin seed (black if possible) 1/2 tsp and some grated nutmeg.

The ingredients for the dahl I cook are all available with one exception, Garam Masala

Yellow split peas

Turmeric

Ginger

Cumin seeds

Coriander seeds

Garlic

Chili powder

Fresh coriander

Thanks for that. Is it the type of thing sold in the fresh food market? or would I have to find an Indian specialty shop?

you can find all sorts of indian spices at Phahurat if you live in Bangkok. there is a huge bazaar there around the sikh temple. many indian grocery stores. If in Chiang Mai, there is a shop within Warorot market selling indian spices etc etc. good luck cooking.

I recently found garam masala at the supermarket on the ground floor of Paragon. Very expensive - about 250 baht for a jar, but it was a huge jar and will last for years probably!

Problem is with all pre-ground spices that they lose their flavour very quickly even if kept in the dark in airtight containers. If I make garam masala, I usually make only about 2 or 3 tablespoons at a time.

Edited by jayenram

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Jayenram, Jingjing... recipies please? Or is it a secret kah :o

Here is a recipe from a man from Sri Lanka. This was modified to take out ghee (clarified butter). It is delicious and we find that it is better than most restaurants.

Dal

2 cups dal (we use the orange ones; I think you can substitute the yellow ones, but they might take longer to cook)

3 1/4 cup water

1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon ground tumeric

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons curry powder (I usually use a madras curry powder in a green colored tin)

11/2 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon Kadugu (black seeds - mustard seed; these are reddish brown/black; I have seen them in a small Thailand shop in Pai, but I haven't looked for them)

3 pieces fresh chili peppers sliced into small circles

1 small onion chopped

6 pieces garlic peeled and sliced

1 wedge lemon or lime

Sort through dal & pick out any stones or black items. Wash/rinse several times--knead dal while washing. Water will be soapy-like at first, but this will lessen with every wash. When water is clear, add water. The height of the water should be about twice as high as the dal. Put on stove and bring to a boil. Add cumin, tumeric, salt and curry powder. Stir dal occasionally. Cook at med-high heat.

In a separate non-stick frying pan, add olive oil. Heat and add kadugu. Stir and wait a moment then add peppers and cook for 1 minute. Add garlic and onions. Cook until onions are brown.

Watch the dal. When water level of the dal is a little lower than dal, then it is time to add the onions. If you are not quite ready, lower heat and cover and then add onion mixture.... To add onion mixture, add a little dal into the onion mixture. Stir and pour all of the onion mixture into the dal. Stir add the juice of the lime/lemon. Cover, turn off heat and let dal sit for a few minutes.

----------------

Enjoy! I've made the above recipe often...

I've had other versions of dahl from Pakistani people that were delicious, but I never got recipes. Some had ginger others had coriander; some with white dahl, some with black dahl. It would be nice to see some of these recipes....

• 2 weeks later...
one exception, Garam Masala

I recently found garam masala at the supermarket on the ground floor of Paragon. Very expensive - about 250 baht for a jar, but it was a huge jar and will last for years probably!

doesn't help if you are in bangkok but carrefour have it in chiangmai 40 baht

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have a faint recollection of a number of Indian food/ingredients stores in Bangkok. They were all located in a neighborhood close to a very large Sikh Temple. In fact I think the neighborhood was even dubbed "Little India". But, it has been well over fifteen years.

• 2 weeks later...

I made Just_Elaine's Dahl and the flavour was really good but I messed up big time with the lentils - I used the thicker yellow ones and they took AGES to cook so my Dahl was kind of weak in the end. Will try orange lentils next...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Any recipes Tiger Beer ? :o

easy, try to find the MDH Sambar masala at your favorite indian grocery store. May i suggest Phahurat area in BKK. If you are not in BKK, i can always give u a number you can call and order your stuff to be sent anywhere in Thailand.

Saute, onions, garlic, cumin, tomatos with the masala. boil the dahl seperately. Also adding Potatos in sambar dahl is a norm. Together with Long beans. Oh don't forget mustard seeds too while you saute the onions/masala. When masala mix is fragrant, add it with the dahl. Also some tamarind juice to sour it. Sambar Dahl is normally eaten with rice. Not chapatti.

Happy cooking!

post-29436-1237695414_thumb.jpg