1 or 2 Nights in... Buriram, Sisaket or Surin... ?

henrik2000

Hello, i (tourist) might want to spend 1 or 2 nights in either Buriram, Sisaket or Surin town and wanted to ask if you have a suggestion. I have a rental car and mostly stay in south Isaan small towns which (including the countryside) i generally like more than the bigger towns.

In my previous, extensive experience from bus journeys, Isaan big towns are good only for some things in the evening:

• People watching in park or on riverside around sunset
  • Casual Thai dinner in a rustic al fresco restaurant, perhaps with low-key acoustic live music
  • Songs-for-life or Morlam live music in some Tawan Daeng etc. (with yet another dinner) (hopefully semi open-air as well)

I could even repeat this on three consecutive evenings, but I never knew what to do in the daytimes. If you say, "visit Khmer ruins or Khao Phra Wihan", i can do that from a village base. Also i don't need museums, holiday parks or expat bars with or without live rock band. The guided village tours out of Sisaket might be nice.

So i'd like to ask if you would give preference to either Buriram, Surin or Sisaket – and why?? Korat, Ubon Ratchathani and others are not considered. The quality and ambience of the live music (not the volume or the madness-level) would be one factor. A hotel below 1000 Baht with safe parking and walking distance to the music hall would be nice (anyway i wouldn't use my car for any in-town-commuting day or night, i'd take a tuktuk or motorcycle taxi). I have Google Maps in the mobile for GPS navigation.

Thanks!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/878283-road-trip-bangkok-to-ubon-via-aranyaprathet/?hl=buriram

We stayed in Buriram twice recently and really enjoyed it. Stayed Best Western which was great (the food was excellent but there's an expat restaurant bar opposite side and 200m up the street). We only passed through Sisaket and Surin.

Take a look at the link up top which might give you a few ideas.

Strongly recommend you avoid Buriram. It's a sh*t hole. Why? It's a small town that thinks it's a big one, with many falang who fall into the same description. And I knoe as I lived there but saw the light and got out before it ruined my sanity.

Surin is much better but very quiet also.

Buriram has a Great Town Square, Niteclubs, Bars, Dining, there's a cheap hotel in town center near this square, I forget name, Really enjoyed Buriram has a raceway too

That would be the Thai Hotel ..... http://www.thaihotel-buriram.com/

Just a short stagger or walk from the entertainment area,

Are there any good music venues other than Tawan Deang or Speed Disco?? (Which is also the same as Surin)

Strongly recommend you avoid Buriram. It's a sh*t hole. Why? It's a small town that thinks it's a big one, with many falang who fall into the same description. And I knoe as I lived there but saw the light and got out before it ruined my sanity.

You are talking s??t Buriram a s??t hole it is a lot better then surin I have live in both of them and I find Buriram is a lot better then surin , Buriram has more places at night to go and have fun and lots more lovely thai lady's .

You have no idea what you are on about sorry to say both are thai towns that carter for Thais not westerners.

Hello, i (tourist) might want to spend 1 or 2 nights in either Buriram, Sisaket or Surin town and wanted to ask if you have a suggestion. I have a rental car and mostly stay in south Isaan small towns which (including the countryside) i generally like more than the bigger towns.

In my previous, extensive experience from bus journeys, Isaan big towns are good only for some things in the evening:

• People watching in park or on riverside around sunset
  • Casual Thai dinner in a rustic al fresco restaurant, perhaps with low-key acoustic live music
  • Songs-for-life or Morlam live music in some Tawan Daeng etc. (with yet another dinner) (hopefully semi open-air as well)
I could even repeat this on three consecutive evenings, but I never knew what to do in the daytimes. If you say, "visit Khmer ruins or Khao Phra Wihan", i can do that from a village base. Also i don't need museums, holiday parks or expat bars with or without live rock band. The guided village tours out of Sisaket might be nice.

So i'd like to ask if you would give preference to either Buriram, Surin or Sisaket and why?? Korat, Ubon Ratchathani and others are not considered. The quality and ambience of the live music (not the volume or the madness-level) would be one factor. A hotel below 1000 Baht with safe parking and walking distance to the music hall would be nice (anyway i wouldn't use my car for any in-town-commuting day or night, i'd take a tuktuk or motorcycle taxi). I have Google Maps in the mobile for GPS navigation.

Thanks!

I would say burirum is the best of them all good night life great hotels the one I say at is called Ray Hotel cost 790 bht a night with breakfast new very clean and great pool and gym and not far from the night life you can google it .

Cheers all the best .

I know its not on your list, but you might want to try Roi Et. It is surprisingly civilised with a nice lake with a large central island that is landscaped with many activities always going on around you. An easy place to spend a day.

Hi guys, I live in this neck of the woods fairly near Roi Et. I would recommend for sightseeing, people watching and nightlife either Roi et or Buri Ram, especially the Klim hotel on the other side of the railway. Great hotel and fantastic buffet breakfast. Plenty to see and do in Buri Ram. I stay there when on my way driving to Aranyaprathet border crossing. Also, Mukdahan is a nice day out but. Ore to do in Roi Et and especially Buri ram.

Buriram has a Great Town Square, Niteclubs, Bars, Dining, there's a cheap hotel in town center near this square, I forget name, Really enjoyed Buriram has a raceway too

Are there any good music venues other than Tawan Deang or Speed Disco?? (Which is also the same as Surin)

Scissors, Chinasia, Haircut and Wandang spring to mind. But I haven't been up that way for awhile.

There is a place called Tom and Jerry's, but not sure about music there.

Also a couple of others that change names often.

Guaranteed you will find something that suits.

Chudless, when did you leave Buriram as it's changed beyond belief in the last 2 years. Lots of pubs, clubs, restaurants, good hotels etc.

around the main nightlife area most of the 'pubs' have live music as well as Motown, just around the corner which is much more low key and has a good choice of beer. The best hotels after a night out would probably be the Thai hotel (cheap and cheerful) and the Klim (at the rear of the railway station) as they are both within walking distance from the pubs.

Scissors, Chinasia, Haircut and Wandang spring to mind. But I haven't been up that way for awhile.

There is a place called Tom and Jerry's, but not sure about music there.

Also a couple of others that change names often.

Guaranteed you will find something that suits.

One of my favourites is (I think) called B70 opposite iMobile stadium on the back road to Big C. Good music (taped and live) and an excellent chef.

You are talking s??t Buriram a s??t hole it is a lot better then surin I have live in both of them and I find Buriram is a lot better then surin , Buriram has more places at night to go and have fun and lots more lovely thai lady's .

You have no idea what you are on about sorry to say both are thai towns that carter for Thais not westerners.

Neither, nor. Sorry.

agree Buriram falang shithole

Why Farang shit hole? I only party with Thais and no farangs around.

no wonder I could not think of it , Thai Hotel, damn, thx

Hi guys, I live in this neck of the woods fairly near Roi Et. I would recommend for sightseeing, people watching and nightlife either Roi et or Buri Ram, especially the Klim hotel on the other side of the railway. Great hotel and fantastic buffet breakfast. Plenty to see and do in Buri Ram. I stay there when on my way driving to Aranyaprathet border crossing. Also, Mukdahan is a nice day out but. Ore to do in Roi Et and especially Buri ram.

unimpressed with Klim, No view, unfinished concrete look, food not so great, disappointed, God forbid u smoke in that hotel, pool not welcoming more of a decoration, not comfortable area

Chudless, when did you leave Buriram as it's changed beyond belief in the last 2 years. Lots of pubs, clubs, restaurants, good hotels etc.

Don't worry about Chudless. He still comes to Buriram for visits, from somewhere out in the boonies where he now lives.

Unfair of me to agree with you on the basis of my only visiting Buriram for one night (whereas I live near Sisaket and visited Surin for a couple of weekends).

But I do agree with you - wholeheartedly (though can't comment on the local expat's assessment, as I never found any in a town that seemed to have pulled up the pavements at 6pm!

I'd better not go back eh?

smile.png

Forgot - it does of course have the most successful football team, so maybe I will go back one day!

Unfair of me to agree with you on the basis of my only visiting Buriram for one night (whereas I live near Sisaket and visited Surin for a couple of weekends).

But I do agree with you - wholeheartedly (though can't comment on the local expat's assessment, as I never found any in a town that seemed to have pulled up the pavements at 6pm!

I'd better not go back eh?

smile.png

Forgot - it does of course have the most successful football team, so maybe I will go back one day!

You should have stuck with your own advice in your first paragraph.

nothing wrong with Buriram. try Pak Chong as well

Why Farang shit hole? I only party with Thais and no farangs around.

You just don't know that they're Farang. They only play "Thai." blink.png

Archived